Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update from Tesla service on screen yellowing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all - I just disputed this with Tesla's third party arbitration program. I just opted to do it over a phone hearing at home. They ruled in my favor! They were given 30 days to fix it with no delay. Amusing since they had me argue against their managing council of product liability. hahaha. ( Ryan McCarthy with Tesla ) He tried to pull a stunt and lie - claiming they were rolling out a healing fix currently. He also tried to claim it was only visible when the car was off, not when in use. Stupid arguments but be careful of the slick corporate attorney. ( of course when I called Tesla Service later, curious about their fix they are currently rolling out - they said they were months away from a "firmware fix." )

I called the service center to have it replaced today - they of course interrupted me and went on for a minute about how they have a firmware fix coming in a few months and it is a cosmetic issue - blah blah

Felt good telling her they are forced to replace it after she was done blabbing! They're ordering my screen and scheduled an appointment for replacement.

Glad I don't have to sue them ... ;) This is a cosmetic issue? You're going to fix it with firmware? Can you repaint my car with a firmware fix too? Give me a break ...

Have the same issue. Filed with NCDS last week. I have a hearing scheduled for 7/30. Do you know how I can reference your results and skip the red tape??

In my case the discoloration progressed over time. Not sure how bad it would have gotten. Attached a photo of current state.

If you take this to Carmax or similar - it's the first thing an appraiser would notice when trying to value your car. My guess is they would call your display broken and knock off value. No one is going to pay full price on any vehicle afflicted with this.

The display is clearly no longer working as designed. It can no longer render white and other colors around the edges properly. If your bumper falls off - is that cosmetic too? I mean the steal beam is still there to protect you! ( says Tesla lawyer ... ) This is not normal wear and tear and certainly not a cosmetic issue. My engineering mind would guess it's UV light or heat reacting to a sealant or glue between the touch and display layers of the display. ( Maybe they switched to Elmer's glue on newer revisions? ) It would be impossible to separate and fix without breaking the screen. So I call BS on their firmware fix that will probably just use a darker background around the border.

Also note my 100D Model X only has 9000 miles on it. It probably started at 8000 or earlier. I also keep it garaged... kind of ridiculous they tried to deny warranty to save a buck.

Geez. That’s bad.

The tech who replaced my yellowing screen mentioned that they're currently testing a tool that they'll attach on the screen and it'll fix the yellow bands in minutes... forgot the exact mechanism he mentioned but if I am not mistaken it was some hot air blower thinggy. Mobile service vans will carry those when it is released.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
I had my screen replaced in November and it's already albeit lightly starting to form the yellow border again.

When I got the car in October it was a due-bill item as it was just so over the top yellow. That was at 12K miles, I'm now at 8K miles and just 7 months later. Car is stored in a garage overnight (house) but during the day it sits in my office's parking lot (no shade/cover).

I will probably as other mention just wait this out for a bit of time until the magic pixie dust solution/screen revival ceremony has been concocted.

The tech who replaced my yellowing screen mentioned that they're currently testing a tool that they'll attach on the screen and it'll fix the yellow bands in minutes... forgot the exact mechanism he mentioned but if I am not mistaken it was some hot air blower thinggy. Mobile service vans will carry those when it is released.

Got the same answer a few weeks ago from the SC. I am holding on upgrading from 3G to LTE until the screen repair, so there is money to be made for them in my case. I trust that they are working on a permanent fix, otherwise they would have tried to disuade me not to wait on upgrading to LTE.

My new P100D now only has 400 miles and was fine until we dropped it off for service, after sitting in the South Florida sun for a week at the SC it now has a yellow band all the way around the screen. Our 3 current Teslas are always garaged or have windshield sun shields when parked in the sun and never had the yellowing until this new one was in for service. I had heard about the yellowing but never saw it first hand until now. They told me they are delivering new cars with it and it’s normal. The latest update now limits cabin overheat protection to only 12 hours after the car is parked. The 2017 X loaner we had also had a yellow band as well.

Last edited:
Hey all - I just disputed this with Tesla's third party arbitration program. I just opted to do it over a phone hearing at home. They ruled in my favor! They were given 30 days to fix it with no delay. Amusing since they had me argue against their managing council of product liability. hahaha. ( Ryan McCarthy with Tesla ) He tried to pull a stunt and lie - claiming they were rolling out a healing fix currently. He also tried to claim it was only visible when the car was off, not when in use. Stupid arguments but be careful of the slick corporate attorney. ( of course when I called Tesla Service later, curious about their fix they are currently rolling out - they said they were months away from a "firmware fix." )

I called the service center to have it replaced today - they of course interrupted me and went on for a minute about how they have a firmware fix coming in a few months and it is a cosmetic issue - blah blah

Felt good telling her they are forced to replace it after she was done blabbing! They're ordering my screen and scheduled an appointment for replacement.

Glad I don't have to sue them ... ;) This is a cosmetic issue? You're going to fix it with firmware? Can you repaint my car with a firmware fix too? Give me a break ...
@marksqrd-it is interesting that your screen yellowing is not on the edges but indented somewhat. The most apparent yellowing in my case is along the vertical edges and about the same intensity as what you are showing.

• Informative
Reactions: re04586
@marksqrd-it is interesting that your screen yellowing is not on the edges but indented somewhat. The most apparent yellowing in my case is along the vertical edges and about the same intensity as what you are showing.

It almost seems like there are two separate type of defects.
  • The flourescent/neon yellow border right at the bezel
404371-e50ff34a8624bdc8389b0b5c4e396c70.jpg

• The brownish hue/discoloration just a bit off the edge

I've seen pictures and videos of both types. My X has the brownish hue, but I have had loaners with the neon yellow. It's possible the hue eventually turns into the neon yellow, but I'm starting to sense they are different.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden

I work in the LCD industry

Sandiegodoug's picture shows a phenomena know as "window framing". It is caused the bonding of the cover glass putting pressure on the LCD around the edges probably because the bonding adhesive cured wrong. It may get better or worse over time depending on the adhesive.

The bright yellow lines visible in full sun shown by re04586 are unlike anything I have ever seen. Almost looks like you are getting some sort of light ducting in the cover glass then reflecting off the internal bezel of the display. Are they always there or only in direct sunlight?

The bright yellow lines visible in full sun shown by re04586 are unlike anything I have ever seen. Almost looks like you are getting some sort of light ducting in the cover glass then reflecting off the internal bezel of the display. Are they always there or only in direct sunlight?

It was definitely more visible in direct sunlight, but still visible in darkness and in shade. That was from the loaner car i had, so I don't have any more pictures, but if you look at the 2nd image in post #47 of this thread, you can still see a hint of the discoloration in the shade if you zoom in.

Here is another picture from a different user of the yellow border, see post #570 of this thread (New screens now available_. This would seem to be an extension of the yellow border over time.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
I’m going to wait until it gets worse and then hopefully just upgrade to MCU2. Mine is still very minor. 2.5 years old and 33k miles.
I am at about 3 1/4 years and 36k miles and so far (knock on wood) I don't see anything yet.

One fact that I don't know if it has been discussed yet:

I run my display on 60% fixed brightness all the time. It is set for Auto for night/day.

I had mine replaced about a year ago - there was no difficulty - they saw the yellow and replaced the screen.
Now the yellow is back on the "new" screen. It is not bad yet I'll wait for their fix and see what the screen is like before my service contract expires.