Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update from Version 2018.34b4c2b9a

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd like to be reasonably up-to-date with my Model X75 software. I live on the 30th floor of my apartment building here in NYC - any suggestions for WiFi for downloading, and can I initialize the downloads myself?

I thought about leaving my vehicle in front of a Starbucks overnight - is this a practical solution?

Thanks!

For the latest updates, you need to be connected to Wi-Fi.
I'm not sure if you can connect to any Wi-Fi that uses an authentication page ("Press here to agree to terms of use", "Enter your email"). You may be able to use the car browser to get through this, I'm not sure.

A hotspot does work. I've pulled a few updates over a hotspot when on vacation.

I'd like to be reasonably up-to-date with my Model X75 software.
I live on the 30th floor of my apartment building here in NYC - any suggestions for WiFi for downloading,

Are you able to connect your UMC in your garage to your own electrical meter?

If so I wonder if you could use your wire to carry your WiFi signal using a WiFi extender?

- However in your particular case, if you are at the 30th floor, about at least 300 ft or 100 m, the signal might be a little bit weak?

- I plan to try this solution, I am on a second floor but the UMC is 150 ft from the connection to my apartment.
61NBW13C99L._SL1500_.jpg

and can I initialize the downloads myself?

I thought about leaving my vehicle in front of a Starbucks overnight - is this a practical solution?

Thanks!

I tried rebooting the screen (using the steering wheel knobs and the brake pedal, or from the screen menu)
but this had no effect. I think you are depending on Tesla willing?

Note: I tried this tip but it din't worked for me:
Getting v9 to Upload & DentGoalie? | Model 3 Tip of the Week (See at 1:00)

Alternatively, you could try vertical integration:

Step 1: Attach car to window washer platform.
Step 2: Lift to 30th floor, adjacent to your home wireless network.

:D

But in all seriousness, a pair of directional Wi-Fi repeater antennas (one down below, one up above, both mounted on the outside of the building) could get you 300 feet trivially (or even the better part of a mile). Of course, as other folks have suggested, a mobile hotspot will work without drilling holes in the building.

LOL! Very creative!

Your idea of the extender is very reasonable, except that there is construction of five stores around the base of my building for the next year so I'd have to wait until they're done to try it.

Thanks just the same for offering an option!

Don't know what to tell you there. From what little I understand Tesla's servers push the new firmware to your car when a)they have new firmware and b)they detect that your car is online. I assume they are not going to start pushing firmware when they detect that you are tooling down the freeway using autopilot.

Assuming that you have cellular service in your garage the best I can suggest at the moment is that you plug the phone into one of the USB ports, set up the hotspot, make sure that the car is linked to the hotspot, go on upstairs and resume your life.

A better suggestion is probably to contact customer support, explain your situation and see if they can initiate the down load at a scheculed time.

Assuming that you have cellular service in your garage the best I can suggest at the moment is that you
plug the phone into one of the USB ports, set up the hotspot, make sure that the car is linked to the hotspot,
go on upstairs and resume your life.
I get WifFi reception in my garage. I general I turn the browser to Google News for example to double check.
When I leave the car I suspect that the car go to 'sleep' mode as I tested and noticed that there is no power on my USB QI charger.

I can access my car using my smartphone App, but I imagine this is over LTE.
My car is plugged and starts charging automatically when the charger detect about 3% loss.
I got the 2018.42 update about three months ago but no new updates since.

I'm not sure if using a hotspot will make any difference?
Also, even if you connect your phone to the USB, there will be no power after your car automatically locks the doors.
I'm just curious about your experience for getting any new update

I've also noticed as well, that once the car powers off there is no power to USB receptacles. I've also used my phone as a Hot Spot and it works well in that capacity.

However, since at this time, I'm not able to initiate a download, I could only leave my phone in the car on a night that I would have been informed by Tesla that the download would be that specific night.

My closest option is being very specific of my position in my parking space when parking the vehicle. As it turns out, I can get up to two bars of LTE when the car is positioned properly. Tesla has informed me that two bars is enough for them to download an update.

So there is hope!

Good point about the USB port powering down. Didn't think of that.

However the fact that they say they can download with two bars in LTE is good news. Tesla uses AT&T and I have absolutely no doubt that AT&T is in the Big Apple so that means those two bars are coming from AT&T and you should be good irrespective of RSSI.

As to my experience with downloads: none. Haven't had the car long enough.

Good point about the USB port powering down. Didn't think of that.

However the fact that they say they can download with two bars in LTE is good news.
Tesla uses AT&T and I have absolutely no doubt that AT&T is in the Big Apple
so that means those two bars are coming from AT&T and you should be good irrespective of RSSI.

As to my experience with downloads: none. Haven't had the car long enough.
I read that in general if the download is quite large, Tesla uses then WiFi instead of LTE?
So if the main panel is turnrd off, would WiFi download still possible?

I think that's what they do where they can. After all they are paying AT&T for what they use. However they apparently told OP that they can do it via LTE.

Is down load possible with everything shut down? Yes, Tesla and various third party apps continue to talk to your car while you are away from it as long as it isn't in deep sleep state and apparently it comes out of that from time to time to see if anyone wants to talk to it.

BTW I note that OP has 2018.34 b4c2b9a. I took delivery just before Christmas and the car was loaded with 2018.48.12.1. Just an hour or two ago I got a message that 2018.50.6 had been detected on an X 100D in New Jersey. So he is definitely a couple of versions behind. No Emissions Testing mode for example.

Last edited: