Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update froze the MCU for days, no fix in sight.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Three days ago, 11/6, i started the install of 2019.32.12.7 on my late 2017 MCU1/AP2.5 model S which had 2019.32.12.3. The next morning, i saw that the screen was black aside from a message in the middle saying "Software updating to 2019.32.12.7, updating autopilot" and the progress showed about 20% done. it has been like that for so far three days, and i can't get out of that screen. i cant access climate control (its 23 degrees outside), cant use navigation, cant control the radio aside from steering wheel controls. ive tried resetting the MCU both with the brake pedal down and without.

of course tesla support has done nothing to help. i sent around five messages to tesla without a response and the next service appointment is weeks away.

any ideas on a fix?

Three days ago, 11/6, i started the install of 2019.32.12.7 on my late 2017 MCU1/AP2.5 model S which had 2019.32.12.3. The next morning, i saw that the screen was black aside from a message in the middle saying "Software updating to 2019.32.12.7, updating autopilot" and the progress showed about 20% done. it has been like that for so far three days, and i can't get out of that screen. i cant access climate control (its 23 degrees outside), cant use navigation, cant control the radio aside from steering wheel controls. ive tried resetting the MCU both with the brake pedal down and without.

of course tesla support has done nothing to help. i sent around five messages to tesla without a response and the next service appointment is weeks away.

any ideas on a fix?

For issues that affect safety or driveability (no HVAC defrost probably counts) you can usually drive the car directly to the SC and they will take it.

Reactions: Akikiki
What do you mean support was no help? Did you call them? How do you send messages to them? In an emergency I’d never do anything except call.

I had an issue like this with a bad release once and it was fixed over the course of a day where the car was reset remotely and we got it rebooted and restarted. I had to use the app to wake it up.

But a phone call is the best way to reach them when needed.

I am hoping an MCU2 upgrade pathway presents itself soon, to allow improved functionality and not get the same challenged hardware over again. This type of stuff makes me nervous about downloading and installing updates.

My software update is also stuck for 4 days running now. Car is driveable with basic driver's display, but no touchscreen, nav, HVAC, music, etc. Service appointments in Houston are now 15-20 days waiting time. If so many people are having the update issue, why aren't they pushing out a bug fix?

Same issue. It just finally completed the update after 3 days.

I had to drive the car for about 60 miles with that updating screen. I used the Tesla app to control the climate and change the music source under the media section.
Hopefully my problem will also resolve itself like this before my service appointment in 2 weeks. I can't access the car through the app at all and it won't charge. It behaves exactly like it does during a software update with the exception that I can still drive it in "safe mode". I get the warning about "wait for systems to power up" on the dash, but it still powers on after waiting a few minutes.

The latest update killed my MCU. I just got the car back today from the SC, thank god I'm still covered by the warranty. I asked if they could install an MCUv2 instead of putting the v1 back in, but no go. If its a warranty repair, the same part number (if current) needs to go back in. I'm going through the hassle of repersonalizing everything from factory reset that I've done over the course of the last 3 years. One thing stood out to me, Sentry Mode is now greyed out, whereas I was using it before. All of my auto suspension raising locations are also wiped, as I anticipated. The SC also reset my software to the previous version before the update killed it. 2019.32.12.7. It will be interesting to discover what else is different now from the steady state I had before.

So was it the emmc that died? Or something else- do you know? If I recall correctly from others anecdotes the screen goes dead when it is the emmc.

What happened with the op? @paulk ?
The SC would only say “the computer needs to be replaced”. I’m assuming they meant the eMMC crapped out, but they wouldn’t elaborate. Interestingly when I looked at the part they replaced, it had a “REMAN” suffix on it. I interpreted this as a refurbished MCUv1 with a new chip installed. YMMV.