Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Update: It happened] Track Mode not happening for P3d-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I could swear I read it on the forum but I can't find it now (could have been speculation). I might be mistaken. But the drive train parts are different so it should have a different vin? And here all this time I thought I was getting a better deal on my insurance.

edit, damn ok I must be wrong yesh :p

The person you are quoting must have me on ignore and not getting the straight dope. ;)

Dude, please do not open the door on if the motors differ between AWD and P. I have my opinions but will address those privately. Would be annoying to have all the early adopter 3 owners start feeding me Musk tweets as their source. I love the man but do not see him as a 100 percent reliable source for Tesla.

Your best deal on insurance is going to change every 6 months. Shop around - cncensus is AAA sucks. SoCal best rate concensus is Ameriprise, USAA or Amica. Mercury I have not tried personally but they have a reputation of cheap as well.

Reactions: Glamisduner
But the drive train parts aren't different. (At least we can't find any evidence that they are.) And Tesla does use the digit on the VIN in the S&X for the performance models that have different drive train parts.
PUP version has different wheel hubs, stabilizer bars and not sure what else. Some say non pup can't properly support 20" wheels? not sure why that would matter though.

MXWing, you may have MP3Mike on ignore?

PUP version has different wheel hubs, stabilizer bars and not sure what else. Some say non pup can't properly support 20" wheels? not sure why that would matter though.

That's conjecture if I've ever seen it. If non PUP cars can't handle 20" wheels then why does Tesla have them as an available accessory for purchase on any Model 3?

I don’t ignore anyone. Haven’t been triggered to the point where my snowflake will melt.

Mikes a great resource, Can’t think of a time where he has been wrong on anything Tesla.

TSLA (at times) but no one gets that perfectly.

Last edited:
VINs between AWD, P+, and P- are identical. The only way to differentiate a P form an AWD is the red underline in the Tesla popup window. Red brakes and all other cosmetics are also not reliable because people paint their calipers and change wheels. So red underline is the only way since no one has figured out how to install different software on the cars yet.

Ironically, there is no easy way to distinguish the P- from the P+ if the P- has parts (wheels, rotors, suspension) changed and calipers painted. Badge is the same.

Ironically, there is no easy way to distinguish the P- from the P+ if the P- has parts (wheels, rotors, suspension) changed and calipers painted. Badge is the same.

Not to be a dick (too late?) but look for track mode setting..

Everyone should be having the spoiler soon and it will be factory standard. I expect most would install it even if debadging.

For now yes. I'm still going under the assumption that P- will eventually get Track Mode and there are some aftermarket spoilers that look similar.

In the Tesla app you can see the 20 inch wheels.
3P- would have the aeros.

In the car itself, you would see the red calipers by hitting the T.

As a buyer, I’d ask to look at the my Tesla and original MVPA but yes I can totally see the regular joe missing the nuances.

People won’t remember the 3P- was ever made so that puts upward pressure on the price.

AC15E7B6-7D9C-4054-87E1-F8F6A845C263.jpeg

In the Tesla app you can see the 20 inch wheels.
3P- would have the aeros.

Slight tangent but those aeros in the app picture always bugged me and I was told there was nothing could be done. But when I went in for an alignment I asked if they could fix that, using the excuse/reason that when I got a nail in my tire I had to repeat to everyone I had 19" OEM rims on the car not the aeros the picture and records showed. They fixed it for me right there, my app now shows 19" OEM rims and if ever another nail finds my tire, I won't have to remind them what tire to bring..

Small happiness in a first world problem

I bring great news! I just got this response from Tesla.

Hello Jean-Philippe,

Thank you for contacting Tesla! Please allow me to apologize for the delay in our response to this email.

I am very glad to be able to report that Model 3 Performance cars without PUP will receive Track Mode in software update 2019.4. We appreciate your patience while we prepare to roll out the 2019.4 update. When available, you will receive an alert to begin installing the update on your touchscreen.

Please visit our Support Page, which covers frequently asked questions about Tesla and your vehicle. If you have any further questions or concerns, you can reach Customer Support 24/7 at[email protected] or by phone at 1-877-79-TESLA (83752).

Best Regards,

Lisa C. | Tesla Support​

Hello Jean-Philippe,

Thank you for contacting Tesla! Please allow me to apologize for the delay in our response to this email.

I am very glad to be able to report that Model 3 Performance cars without PUP will receive Track Mode in software update 2019.4. We appreciate your patience while we prepare to roll out the 2019.4 update. When available, you will receive an alert to begin installing the update on your touchscreen.

Please visit our Support Page, which covers frequently asked questions about Tesla and your vehicle. If you have any further questions or concerns, you can reach Customer Support 24/7 at[email protected] or by phone at 1-877-79-TESLA (83752).

Best Regards,

Lisa C. | Tesla Support​
Literally just received the same.

Hello Rick,

Please visit our Support Page, which covers frequently asked questions about Tesla and your vehicle. If you have any further questions or concerns, you can reach Customer Support 24/7 at [email protected] or by phone at 1-877-79-TESLA (83752).

Best Regards,

Lisa C. | Tesla Support
12832 Frontrunner Blvd | Draper, UT 84020
p 877.798.3752 | [email protected]

Reactions: Jtt777

Hello Jean-Philippe,

Best Regards,

Lisa C. | Tesla Support​

In before all of the "BUT THAT'S NOT REALLY WHAT'S GONNA HAPPEN" comments.

Hello Jean-Philippe,

Best Regards,

Lisa C. | Tesla Support​

Holy frak my response was ridiculous compared to yours. TACK MODE. I want that...

Thank you for reaching out to Tesla support. My name is [redacted] and I'm happy to assist you!
Track Mode is featured upgrade for Performance Model 3 with the Performance Upgrades Package (PUP). Essentially unless you had the PUP upgrade the car did not come with the Tack Mode feature.

Holy frak my response was ridiculous compared to yours. TACK MODE. I want that...

Thank you for reaching out to Tesla support. My name is [redacted] and I'm happy to assist you!
Track Mode is featured upgrade for Performance Model 3 with the Performance Upgrades Package (PUP). Essentially unless you had the PUP upgrade the car did not come with the Tack Mode feature.
@caskater47 and my response, both from Lisa C. looks more formal. I'm going with ours. ;)

Wow. They're dysfunction continues to amaze me.