Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update: Model X has a single charger, but only 48A capable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
maybe the new HPWC is DC....... maybe they will install a small supercharger in your home that is run off a powerwall system and where either/and/or the power wall is supplied by solar or the grid............. just speculating.....
I know they set up this supercharger that charge at half normal rate in a private company in southern Sweden. in the town of kalmar. and I understand they are doing the same deal with W hotel in Switzerland and other places......... so maybe that's the next fast charging system for the home and destinations. and therefore the onboard charger is just an emergency device.......

the powerwall idea is my own and is not used in the kalmar supercharger!!

Last edited:
I was under the impression that a 72 amp charger never existed. If one is referring to the photograph of a founders car displaying "72 A", I suggest that once the vehicle was plugged in, the display would indicate "48 A", the maximum charge rate available. I was also under the impression that founder's owners have none disclosure agreements with Telsa so they are not saying. The only way I can be sure of my facts is by plugging in my Tesla X which, unfortunately, is not an option at this time.
No, you missed earlier post.

Title: ChicagoNext Chairman Mark Tebbe Got One of the First Tesla Model X SUVs
Tesla Model X First Owners Include Chicagoan Mark Tebbe | Chicago Inno

Model X onboard charger: 48 or 72 AMP? | Forums | Tesla Motors
http://i.imgur.com/dPeJpuu.png
dPeJpuu.png

I was under the impression that a 72 amp charger never existed. If one is referring to the photograph of a founders car displaying "72 A", I suggest that once the vehicle was plugged in, the display would indicate "48 A", the maximum charge rate available. I was also under the impression that founder's owners have none disclosure agreements with Telsa so they are not saying. The only way I can be sure of my facts is by plugging in my Tesla X which, unfortunately, is not an option at this time.

The only way any of us can be sure is to see a Founders X and Sig X 'in the flesh'. The information we currently have shows the Founder's X with a 72 and multiple reports to SigX holders that they will have their Xs delivered with 48s.
You started out your today's discussion with an opinion that flies counter to what we have seen in our garages and in the field for a couple years so your credibility/opinions carry less weight than positions that we know at this time.

maybe the new HPWC is DC....... maybe they will install a small supercharger in your home that is run off a powerwall system and where either/and/or the power wall is supplied by solar or the grid............. just speculating.....
I know they set up this supercharger that charge at half normal rate in a private company in southern Sweden. in the town of kalmar. and I understand they are doing the same deal with W hotel in Switzerland and other places......... so maybe that's the next fast charging system for the home and destinations. and therefore the onboard charger is just an emergency device.......

the powerwall idea is my own and is not used in the kalmar supercharger!!

Unnecessary. A supercharger is just the chargers on-board the Tesla, just more of them and off-board. So you get upgraded on-board chargers, that pretty much maxes out any nominal service entrance capacity. Although 2 144A HPWC's would fit nicely into a 320A dedicated service for destination charging.

Ah... the key phrase that was missing from your earlier assertions.

Speculation is fine, but in the future, I suggest you clarify that vs posting it as fact.

Bolding mine...

How about using the word "hypothesis" instead of fact since it hasn't been proven yet?

I don't know where you get these impressions that you're under, but they have no basis in fact. You also keep referring to charging at home, when a significant use of high amp charging is while traveling, such as the Sun Country Highway in your country and Tesla destination charging.

Unnecessary. A supercharger is just the chargers on-board the Tesla, just more of them and off-board. So you get upgraded on-board chargers, that pretty much maxes out any nominal service entrance capacity. Although 2 144A HPWC's would fit nicely into a 320A dedicated service for destination charging.

yes but some are hypothesizing that there is a space problem on board..... so then an outboard fast charging solution for destinations and home would be advantageous. and ther might very possibly be even harder to find room in the Model Three.......

I don't know where you get these impressions that you're under, but they have no basis in fact. You also keep referring to charging at home, when a significant use of high amp charging is while traveling, such as the Sun Country Highway in your country and Tesla destination charging.

I agree. None of his posts make any sense and none of his "facts" or "opinions" come from anything here on TMC.

Since Tesla hasn't yet released a spec sheet (or production price), things can still change IMO. Especially if everyone Emails nasales@ with their displeasure. Despite the Sept 29th show, I refuse to believe that the X is finished and ready for production - hence I believe that things are still in flux. Therefore, I'm waiting patiently to hear what the final decisions are going to be before I stress myself any further. I'm also waiting patiently to hear what happens with those damned 2nd row folding seats. I haven't been asked to configure yet, so I'm lucky in that way. I feel for the US Signature holders who aren't happy with the changes and are being forced to commit one way or another.

Stirred up a hornet's nest, didn't I? Vandacca. I have decided not to post any further options on this website. I will, however, confirm my configuration invitation on ModelXtracker when it is received. Goodbye, all.

You're welcome to post here of course. You just came out stating as fact that Tesla is dropping 80A charging for fire risk so people are just questioning that.

You're welcome to post here of course. You just came out stating as fact that Tesla is dropping 80A charging for fire risk so people are just questioning that.

I'll add..

History has shown that the media is willing to take "facts" from this forum and publish them in stories. They don't have to fact check because they can say "a tesla owner, or a model X reservation holder said ..." as an out. These articles have caused damage to Tesla and to the reputation of people here. As a result, it's quite possible some of us are overly sensitive. All the replies that questioned you are saying in one way or another: just be clear that you're stating your opinion. The debate you saw is normal for around here. We take the small bits of facts we actually do have, create a theory, and then challenge it to see if it holds. I wish Tesla was more forthcoming so we didn't have to do this as often, but I'm sure they have their reasons (most of the time anyway, sometimes it's just that they're terrible at communication.)

All of the above is my opinion :)

A

Stirred up a hornet's nest, didn't I? Vandacca. I have decided not to post any further options on this website. I will, however, confirm my configuration invitation on ModelXtracker when it is received. Goodbye, all.
Sure hope you meant "opinions" when you typed "options" above. You could have saved yourself a whole crap load of angry responses if you'd just used the word "opinion" when you first typed said "opinion" regarding 48amp charging becoming the new defacto standard for all Tesla vehicles.

We understand words are hard and all but boy are they important.

In fact, I think we've had a similar conversation over at the tesla motors forums regarding the words "peddle" and "pedal". English is brutal, eh? ;-)

Cheers!

Hey @brianvicars, I don't know why you mentioned my handle in your last update and I hope my post didn't offend you. My post was a generic post, nothing to do with anything you had written. I was just stating that I don't think things are necessarily nailed down yet (since there isn't a spec sheet yet) and that I had decided to stop pulling my hair out until it was nailed down. I hope to see you stay on this forum.

Besides, how else will I get a warning when I'll be able to configure? You're a couple spots in line in front of me...

After reviewing all the responses from my comments earlier today, I am so glad that I did not attempt to enter politics when I was younger. I have decided to continue reading comments on this site but refrain from putting in my 2 cents without choosing my words far more carefully in the future. I appreciate the feedback, both positive and negative, and have learned something from the experience. Now, to the point. I am very upset with Tesla's current decision on the 48 amp charger and have emailed them with my opinion. Just because I am a Canadian and cannot spell does not mean I should not be heard, Tesla.

After reviewing all the responses from my comments earlier today, I am so glad that I did not attempt to enter politics when I was younger. I have decided to continue reading comments on this site but refrain from putting in my 2 cents without choosing my words far more carefully in the future. I appreciate the feedback, both positive and negative, and have learned something from the experience. Now, to the point. I am very upset with Tesla's current decision on the 48 amp charger and have emailed them with my opinion. Just because I am a Canadian and cannot spell does not mean I should not be heard, Tesla.

@brianvicars, I know how you feel. I got really fed up with the fanboy drivel over at teslamotors.com forum and decided to focus my energy in this forum instead, as there are IMO more educated and rational people here. Also, this forum is moderated, which helps a lot. It's been a really long wait and there are a lot of grumpy people out there (understandable so). But now that the "reveal" is over, spending less time in the forums has also helped me gain some sanity while I patiently await for more information.

And I also wrote an Email today to nasales@ indicating my concern over both 2nd row seats and 48A charging. I don't expect to hear anything, but I'm hoping that my Email adds a little more weight to everyone else's contributions.

Last edited:

I think your opinion is logical. The point of multi car charging at home may be true, but could presumably be resolved with software. I get barked at by any suggestion that battery life isn't infinite, but perhaps Tesla doesn't want daily charging above 48A for longevity reasons.

I think your opinion is logical. The point of multi car charging at home may be true, but could presumably be resolved with software. I get barked at by any suggestion that battery life isn't infinite, but perhaps Tesla doesn't want daily charging above 48A for longevity reasons.

I asked this question of the people performing the battery study that presented at the 2014 (or was it 2013?) TMC connect conference. At the time, there was no correlation between battery degradation and rate of charge. I asked because at the time I was charging daily at 80A. I now charge at 65-70A, and only use 80A when I'm really low or while traveling.

I received a very nice, but non-committal email from tesla in response to my email about the 48A. They said that they decided to remove the dual charging features for Model X to eliminate confusion and make the buying process easier. They also mentioned they they were expanding the supercharger network.