Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update: Model X has a single charger, but only 48A capable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My personal opinion is that is sounds bad to marketing when Model S has 40 amps from the factory and Model X would have 72 amps.

(May have been a "marketing survey" to marketing management!)

IMHO, the best solution would be to have the 72 amp charger standard in both models. One high powered charger for all.

I see. You must have a long commute. This definitely is a step back. Hope an upgrade is offered in the future.

Since we know that the Founders Model X did have a 72Amp charger, we know it is doable. Whether Tesla will offer it or allow us to swap out the 48Amp charger and support the warranty is the question. Getting a straight answer from Tesla is the hard part.

If you have 90kW model and you charge at 12kW at cheap rate, you'll get 48kWh.
Assuming almost empty battery, you still need to get 32kWh at more expensive rate. In my country the difference is 9 cents per kWh. Therefore the difference is $2.88 per day.
Assuming you do this every working day, of which there is approx. 250, you will spend $720 on the more expensive electricity per year. All that while driving 62500 miles per year (!)

Is it worth installing a second charger option at few thousand $ and stronger wiring in the garage? Are you really driving 62500 per year?
If you need full charge once a week, then the extra cost is $144. If the second charger is $2000, you would need 14 years to get benefit.

My prediction is that Tesla will offer the additional charger as accessory just like the Model S version.

http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/model-s-charging-adapters/products/2nd-onboard-charger

Dual Charger with Installation $ 2,000.00 TESLA PN: 1047977-00-B
Please allow up to 4 weeks for order processing. This item will ship directly to your preferred Service Center.
Model S vehicles with a single charger configuration can charge at a maximum of 29 miles of range per hour of charge. By upgrading to add the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] on-board charger, your Model S will be able to get up to 58 miles of range per hour of charge when charging with the Wall Connector. The dual chargers allow twice the conversion capacity as the single charger when the power is available.

Haven't been following this closely. If Founder's have 72 A master chargers then why would the Sigs and Productions also have that option?

One possible reason: because the supply chain can't deliver the quality or quantity of 72A chargers required. Yes, some Founders' vehicles have shipped with 72A chargers, but Tesla has now said that the signature and production vehicles will ship with 48A chargers. No reason was given for the change, leading to speculation that it was a supply chain issue. That said, it is not being billed as a temporary change, either and there is no indication that Tesla will, or will not, revert to the 72A charging option later.

It has been reported that Tesla has said there is no room for dual chargers in Model X, so the only hope is to get the higher-powered single charger.

My prediction is that Tesla will offer the additional charger as accessory just like the Model S version.

I'd be fine with this. Too bad none of the owners of the founders are active in here. It would be interesting to see if they have a single or dual charger. 48x2 != 72, so I'm guessing it's just one which means a second charger as an accessory isn't an option. However, a charger replacement as an accessory is still possible.

One possible reason: because the supply chain can't deliver the quality or quantity of 72A chargers required. Yes, some Founders' vehicles have shipped with 72A chargers, but Tesla has now said that the signature and production vehicles will ship with 48A chargers. No reason was given for the change, leading to speculation that it was a supply chain issue. That said, it is not being billed as a temporary change, either and there is no indication that Tesla will, or will not, revert to the 72A charging option later.

It has been reported that Tesla has said there is no room for dual chargers in Model X, so the only hope is to get the higher-powered single charger.

"can't deliver the quality or quantity" sounds like the most likely reason to me. Rather than have another reason for delayed delivery of MX, they will be delivered with chargers TM has on hand or can readily get. Hopefully they can be upgraded later when reliable 72A chargers are readily available (at reasonable cost).

If the decision to limit charging to 48A was based on a survey of Model S owners, how is it that none of us were contacted for the survey? Did they do a survey and specifically exclude TMC members?

It could have been an observational survey. Like looking across a field of wheat. "Most of that looks golden."

It was the same group that said second row folding seat option was not needed.

There is a founder active here, and he reported a few pages back that he has a single 72 amp charger.

I'd be fine with this. Too bad none of the owners of the founders are active in here. It would be interesting to see if they have a single or dual charger. 48x2 != 72, so I'm guessing it's just one which means a second charger as an accessory isn't an option. However, a charger replacement as an accessory is still possible.

Completely agree, Beryl. While I fall into the category of 'those with easy SC access', I don't want to see the charging options take a step backwards. (Note: My 2011 Roadster is capable of charging at 70amps.)

My X will occasionally be towing - and some of the places that I'll go, I'll be relying on 80amp destination chargers and other sources. Unfortunately, with this new decision, finding an 80amp place to charge really will be moot.

So far I've heard three reasons from Tesla, shared by others here on the forum: Engineering is clarifying (whatever that means), because of a survey of Model S owners (not buying that), and manufacturing made the call. Two of those three reasons were in the same letter. Consequently, I don't believe any of those reasons.

I'd like the truth. If it's a cost issue, let me decide what I'm willing to pay, give me my options. If it's a supplier issue, tell me if I can swap it out in the future at a SC. If it's something else, be straight with me.

Don't decide what I need or don't need without consulting me, especially after I already lost the option of dual chargers.

I was so happy to see your post. I felt like I was the only one seeing this as a huge problem. I'm hoping that with your influence, there will be an upgrade down the road. I wish Telsa could be more upfront with the issues and solutions. I almost cancelled my reservation but finally threw in the towel and said whatever happens, happens. Too much emotional energy invested in the last 3+ years to back out now.

I do hope that everyone who finds the 48A charger to be insufficient has sent Tesla a politely worded note.

As has been stated above, the frequency of need for the 72A system is low but, in those cases, the need for 72A is extremely high.