Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update: Model X has a single charger, but only 48A capable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, I emailed Tesla a week ago about this. Still waiting for a reply. I would recommend others also email.
I e-mailed them yesterday and got a form letter reply this afternoon:

Thank you for contacting Tesla Motors with your feedback on Model X, it has been noted and sent through the proper channels.

We do highly value the opinions of our customers and will take your recommendations into consideration.

You should be receiving an email to configure your Model X by the end of this year.

Thanks again for your continued support of Tesla Motors.
So really not much to add, but if they hear this from enough deposit holders, it might help.

Re potential customer confusion over 'dual chargers'. Quit calling it that! Options to include (pick one) *40amp charging rate OR *80amp charging rate.

Problem solved.

YES.
But...
Maybe: list options as "(pick one) *40amp AC charging rate OR *80amp AC charging rate"
- you know, to differentiate from Quick DC Charging (Supercharging) right off the bat? That is a "frequently asked confusion," the idea that the chargers affect Supercharging.

YES.
But...
Maybe: list options as "(pick one) *40amp AC charging rate OR *80amp AC charging rate"
- you know, to differentiate from Quick DC Charging (Supercharging) right off the bat? That is a "frequently asked confusion," the idea that the chargers affect Supercharging.

Or just a "(?) What's this" icon next to it that gives you a quick explanation.

+1. That is precisely my scenario. I have an S with dual chargers and a HPWC operating at 80amps. Model X on order and I don't want to have to install another circuit to charge the model X.

You don't have to install another circuit. Your current HPWC will charge both fine. It'll just charge the Model-X at half the rate of the Model-S. Requiring to charge them at the same time should be a rare occassion. But it may be more likely with a 48A charger in the Model-X due to needing to be connected longer. Just always charge your S before X.

+1. That is precisely my scenario. I have an S with dual chargers and a HPWC operating at 80amps. Model X on order and I don't want to have to install another circuit to charge the model X.
Well if this isn't a perfect example of how little people understand how these cars charge. Here we have an S owner that thinks just because their HPWC CAN deliver 80amps they will need to install another circuit to charge the X which can only accept 48amps.

My apologies for singling you out. It was just a very timely post.

This is a major failure of the front line sales staff at Tesla stores. Seriously.

Well if this isn't a perfect example of how little people understand how these cars charge. Here we have an S owner that thinks just because their HPWC CAN deliver 80amps they will need to install another circuit to charge the X which can only accept 48amps.

My apologies for singling you out. It was just a very timely post.

This is a major failure of the front line sales staff at Tesla stores. Seriously.
It's not just about the sales staff. Everyone who buys a Tesla needs to RTFM.

You don't have to install another circuit. Your current HPWC will charge both fine. It'll just charge the Model-X at half the rate of the Model-S. Requiring to charge them at the same time should be a rare occassion. But it may be more likely with a 48A charger in the Model-X due to needing to be connected longer. Just always charge your S before X.

And I get up in the middle of the night to do that to take advantage of my TOU utility rates or only charge one at weekends? I chose to have dual chargers and install the HPWC to have ability the charge at the higher rate. It's not required all the time but it would be an inconvenience and a limiting factor on occasion when I need to charge quickly and couldn't.

And I get up in the middle of the night to do that to take advantage of my TOU utility rates or only charge one at weekends? I chose to have dual chargers and install the HPWC to have ability the charge at the higher rate. It's not required all the time but it would be an inconvenience and a limiting factor on occasion when I need to charge quickly and couldn't.

I'm as much in favor of Tesla offering 72 or 80A charger in Model X as anyone, but I don't understand this argument. Does the difference in electricity price with TOU rates really offset the cost of installing a 100A circuit and HPWC, compared to charging on a 14-50 at 40A? How many years of charging does it take to break even?

Ahh, I see where you're coming from now. My apologies for misinterpreting your previous post.

TexasEV has an interesting point regarding the cost of a second circuit just to take advantage of TOU rates.

Remember Elon saying that they shouldn't make products that require you to read a manual?

The counterargument would be that we all had to learn a few things about ICE vehicles as well. How to use the pump. Lift the handle or push the button; swipe card first, etc. There is some learning to be done as well when purchasing an ICE. MPG, engine displacement, horsepower (oh no I didn't just say horsepower!), etc. I feel like a little research isn't all that much to ask of someone purchasing a vehicle.

The counterargument would be that we all had to learn a few things about ICE vehicles as well. How to use the pump. Lift the handle or push the button; swipe card first, etc. There is some learning to be done as well when purchasing an ICE. MPG, engine displacement, horsepower (oh no I didn't just say horsepower!), etc. I feel like a little research isn't all that much to ask of someone purchasing a vehicle.

I agree, but with such a radical shift in technology, the best thing to do is to help onboard users. If, during the ordering process, there's an option or term that may be foreign to most users, offer an explanation there on the spot. Some hand-holding will be necessary for the masses - and they already do it with some of the graphs and interactive widgets on their site.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree, but with such a radical shift in technology, the best thing to do is to help onboard users. If, during the ordering process, there's an option or term that may be foreign to most users, offer an explanation there on the spot. Some hand-holding will be necessary for the masses - and they already do it with some of the graphs and interactive widgets on their site.

We don't know what spurred Tesla's decision to go with 48A, product design or technical limitations.

swiss based BRUSA has a compact water cooled 22kW charger in the market since 2013 which would be suitable for the 3 phase on board charger required in Europe.

BRUSA_B_NLG6.jpg

It's just so not cool that it's that low. I mean really. A full 90kW charge is going to take about 9 hours or so. That's just not going to work for a lot of people.

I think it will actually be the slowest charging Tesla yet since each mile is more Wh in a Model X to begin with vs the Model S and Roadster.

Tesla has to realize that their target market isn't completely EV enthusiasts and people with the early adopter mentality anymore. Most people don't seem to know much about the details and don't care much. But everyone can tell 48 is less than 72 or 80. Honestly, even 72A charging would be dropping the ball a bit, IMO, since it would be a step backwards. Just use two of the 10kW chargers that have been pretty much proven in the vehicles and in the supercharging stations already and give the thing 80A AC charging capability. No new engineering required.

Granted the 10kW chargers are pretty large, so maybe they're trying to mitigate the loss of cargo space vs the S by making the 3rd row be a few inches lower using a smaller charger? No idea. They need the HVJB for supercharging to be somewhere, and that's probably where it is along with the charger(s).

Why does it seem like Tesla just wants to screw up the Model X sometimes?