Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update on AP Camera Update for Older S/X Vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Padelford

Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2017
Seattle
Many may have seen Elon's recent tweet informing those of us with older (2016-2017) model X and S vehicles that we won't get FSD Beta because our AP cameras are out of date. He also tweeted that Tesla would provide us with a free camera update. Having HW3 doesn't matter.

I called the national Tesla support number and asked about this today. The nice lady told me they'd just received a bulletin about this, and there will be a free camera update offered. She said my vehicle qualifies based on my VIN, and we'll be notified either thru a letter or e-mail about the update when Tesla is ready to do the work.

Meanwhile, I'll keep working on my score.

Many may have seen Elon's recent tweet informing those of us with older (2016-2017) model X and S vehicles that we won't get FSD Beta because our AP cameras are out of date. He also tweeted that Tesla would provide us with a free camera update. Having HW3 doesn't matter.

I called the national Tesla support number and asked about this today. The nice lady told me they'd just received a bulletin about this, and there will be a free camera update offered. She said my vehicle qualifies based on my VIN, and we'll be notified either thru a letter or e-mail about the update when Tesla is ready to do the work.

Good on you for taking the initiative. This is great news for many!

Reactions: Officient and K5TRX
Did anyone from Tesla say anything about adding an interior camera to cars without it? I haven’t read that anywhere. There are plenty of cars with the latest AP cameras that don’t have interior cameras.
It would be difficult to add another camera. Each camera in these vehicles uses and individual FPD-Link III cable which provides data and power. These are not packet switched network, you can't just add cameras where there is not wiring. The current wiring path for the camera cluster takes the cables through the headliner, down the A pillar behind the passenger side airbags. The current mass connector into the dash harness may not even have the extra pins to allow another video line to be patched without changing the dash harness. On top of major wiring harness replacement, and/or modification, you would also have to design and produce a new housing to mount the interior cam. So sure, since the HW3 driving computer has a populated selfie cam connector, it would be technically possible to add it, however we are talking about taking the entire interior apart for days of labor, all of which Tesla must pay for out of pocket, to implement a change that is not required by law (as these are not new cars). Seems doubtful.

Did they tell you which cameras will be replaced? Is it really going to be 7 with only the rear camera being unchanged? What about the other hardware changes with AP2.5 for redundancy?

As I indicated first in another thread, I too called customer service this past Monday and talked to a gentlemen who indicated that yes, I would need to get the camera(s) update; that there was no plan or schedule at the moment but it would be covered by my FSD package and that Tesla would send an email out when they were available. My thought right now is to monitor conversations as to the availability of camera installations and to schedule a service appointment every few weeks/month until I get in, even if I don't hear by email.

I had a tentative appointment to upgrade my cameras this week, but it got pushed back today. They said they don't even have the ability to order parts yet.

Has anyone here been able to upgrade their cameras yet?

On another note though, the rep I was talking to did confirm that we don't need to get the selfie camera, it's just the exterior camera upgrades.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211101-160518_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20211101-160518_Tesla.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 459
  • Screenshot_20211101-155912_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20211101-155912_Tesla.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 168
I don't think anyone have been able to upgrade their cameras for free yet. There are some who have bought the cameras themselves and/or got them from a salvaged vehicle. You may want to follow this thread: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/fsd’s-earliest-adopters-find-themselves-again-deprioritized-and-forgotten.243556/

I don't think anyone have been able to upgrade their cameras for free yet. There are some who have bought the cameras themselves and/or got them from a salvaged vehicle. You may want to follow this thread: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/fsd’s-earliest-adopters-find-themselves-again-deprioritized-and-forgotten.243556/
Thank you, but unfortunately that thread seems to have been taken over by people arguing about whether or not it's justified to be mad at Tesla over this. This thread seems much more focused. I'll post an update if I hear from my SC again.

I opened a service call over the weekend for my S and they did confirm that the upgrade will be free for people that have paid for FSD. They're just not scheduling any appointments until they can confirm the retrofit from Corporate.

FSD’s earliest adopters find themselves again deprioritized and forgotten

Last edited:
I am in the same boat as the "lucky" few, bought my Model X 75D used from Tesla with FSD included, got the free upgrade to AP 3 HW, a paid for the MCU2 upgrade. Been driving for weeks "safely" with a 99 score. Not a word from Tesla on getting FSD or a cameras upgrade. Hope to see some folks getting some traction soon. I'm 2.5 hours from a the closest service center lol!