Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update on AP Camera Update for Older S/X Vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Small update for everyone:

My invoice from my camera upgrade has my inline triple cam as 1089531-00-C
I've seen a bunch of people that say it should be 1120520-00-B

I literally messaged in the Tesla app twice to two different people and talked to FOUR different Tesla people at my TWO closest service centers and spoke to the head technician at my local service center and every single one told me the same thing. Part numbers could be different, could be a different revision of the part but all said my car has the proper cameras and should be able to get beta. They all told me not to compare and look online.

I tried so hard I told the last tech on the phone, "look my invoice says 1089531-C and when I look it up online thats the same part number as it was in 2016. The current Tesla parts catalog shows 1120520-B. Shouldn't the current -B be installed if the 1089531-C is the original triple camera and that needs to be replaced to get the FSD Beta?"

He basically said I trust our head technician who says your car is good to go and if we need to revisit and swap a necessary part we will be in contact with you.

So now I honestly don't know what to do. Both Denver and Colorado Springs Tesla say my car is completely up to date, good to go, ready to receive FSD Beta but all my research tells me otherwise and at this point I've just pissed off like 4 different Tesla people at my 2 service centers lol

Should I just wait for the next wave of FSD rollouts with the next update and see if I get it?
How does your dash cam footage look as compared to before?

I believe some with the revision C triple camera have confirmed receiving FSD Beta, I’ll try and dig it up if I can.

Edit: AP2.0 Camera Upgrade Rollout Status

See the above spreadsheet, C cameras were getting beta.
That's very interesting. So there are ppl getting a replacement RCCC camera & then getting FSD Beta? Has there been 100% confirmation that the 1089531-00-C is RCCC & not RCCB?

I believe some with the revision C triple camera have confirmed receiving FSD Beta, I’ll try and dig it up if I can.

Edit: AP2.0 Camera Upgrade Rollout Status

See the above spreadsheet, C cameras were getting beta.
Oh wow! Suddenly relief is flowing over me lol. Seeing a Model S 75D exactly like mine in the exact month with the exact upgrades and the exact triple cam confirm they got beta. PHEW
So all I have to do is wait for next rollout!

Very curious. I wonder with the difference actually is between the -C and -B triple-cam? Wouldn't surprise me that the engineers figured out a way to fix it with software and they are somewhere in a state of flux. SNAFU.

But what doesn't make sense would be to replace a working camera with the exact same model. :rolleyes:

• Helpful
Reactions: GoofyGoober
Very curious. I wonder with the difference actually is between the -C and -B triple-cam? Wouldn't surprise me that the engineers figured out a way to fix it with software and they are somewhere in a state of flux. SNAFU.

But what doesn't make sense would be to replace a working camera with the exact same model. :rolleyes:
I agree that’s the weird part to me. I guess I don’t know for sure if I had that same -C already or if I got an updated -C or if mine was replaced by a new identical one 🤷‍♂️
It’s weird but seeing two people confirm beta with the same -C triple cam has me going from insanely stressed to perfectly relieved haha

Here’s my invoice for reference

Attachments

• 0D841A72-1C44-4A82-AD06-E2CC069D180B.png
    0D841A72-1C44-4A82-AD06-E2CC069D180B.png
    407.2 KB · Views: 162
I guess I don’t know for sure if I had that same -C already or if I got an updated -C or if mine was replaced by a new identical one
🤷‍♂️
If you have TeslaCam set up, try loading a page with colors on your phone/tablet/laptop and put it in front of the cameras, e.g., Colour test screen

RCCB Repeater:
repeater color.jpg

RCCB Front:
front color.jpg

(I'm not actually sure what RCCC dashcam would record, so if someone can load that page and share that recording, it would be a good reference.)

To add to the insanity I already experienced, a guy from my Colorado Springs Service Center just called me back to make a new appointment because he says they found out they messed up and gave me the wrong camera. After I basically nagged them for 2 weeks and pissed them off constantly asking about it!

I can't make this up lol I don't even know what's going on with them. He said it could take up to 3 weeks to get it but they made my appointment and got it ordered.

This is wild 😂

So I guess I'm getting the "correct" Camera within the next 3 weeks but I also might get Beta before then anyway?? We'll see, but I'll be sure to post back here whatever happens. I'm either getting Beta or a different camera from what they just put in lol

• Funny
Reactions: hybridbear
I am one of the cars that received (apparently) the -C triple camera upgrade on Nov 18, 2021. I also received FSD Beta 10.8 on 12/30/2021. The Beta runs very well on my 12/2016 MX90D. I'm still trying to get a SvC to confirm what I have but for now it works well.
That’s awesome man!
I’m excited to get beta pretty soon and it sounds like from my SC I’ll be getting the -B camera swapped in anyway even if my current -C works. Finally hope for us late 2016 model cars :)

Thanks Mardak I'll try the test screen.
So I used the color test screen on my MX and the Front Camera view looks identical to the pics that Mardak posted. The Red is orangish and the other colors look like the original test pattern colors except they are muted compared to the original on my iPad. So whether I received the -C triple cameras as stated on my upgrade invoice or the -B I have no idea, but whatever I have they appear to be RCCB cameras.

Reactions: hybridbear
Finally hope for us late 2016 model cars
Well, to clarify, hope for the "chosen few who have the late 2016 cars". The majority, at least per our small sampling, can't get past ground zero and get the camera upgrade. Doesn't seem to be SS as they say on their web site, nor vehicle purchase date, nor FSD purchase date, nor geography - Lord only knows what madness they are using to distribute. Kind of like their software updates - more like a crap shoot. But it does seem to only go out monthly - a group on Nov 8, another on Dec 9. Maybe we're on the edge of another push. Nobody seems to know and certainly nobody at Tesla wants to be bothered by customers getting in the way of their customers.

So I used the color test screen on my MX and the Front Camera view looks identical to the pics that Mardak posted. The Red is orangish and the other colors look like the original test pattern colors except they are muted compared to the original on my iPad
Thanks for checking. I haven't seen anybody show what it looks like for RCCC cameras, so I've simulated Blue-Blind/Tritanopia using Coblis — Color Blindness Simulator – Colblindor and the results do make blue more teal and magenta/yellow are nearly indistinguishable:
simulate blue colorblind.jpg

That seems to match up with the difference noticed between "blue car" RGGB rear vs "teal car" RCCC side from Wiki - [Promised Resolution] FSD’s earliest adopters find themselves again deprioritized and forgotten so additionally simulating the RGGB -> RGGC does seem to be similar:
simulate rggc.jpg

For anyone interested:

I just updated my AP2 repeater cameras to the latest revision being installed during retrofits. No drama as expected. Plug and play and good to go. May have to power the car down and up to get it to recognize the new cams.

My next venture is the triple cam and pillar cams which require a software redeployment for them to take. I headed to the service center (service mode is geofenced) and redeployed the software myself to get ready for the install that I’ll be completing tomorrow. I was kinda shocked how easy it is to redeploy firmware for part installs. I’m much more hopeful of the future of repairing my own vehicle without a service center.

I will post an update here and on my Twitter once the other cameras have been changed as well. I won’t be opting back into the safety score just yet until there is a timeline for beta V10.8.1 or 10.9 or 11 or whatever as I value my sanity and I don’t see any more cars getting pushed 10.8.

Attachments

• D17F299B-9D61-4508-AFC3-FFE734627BBD.jpeg
    D17F299B-9D61-4508-AFC3-FFE734627BBD.jpeg
    86.8 KB · Views: 97
Reactions: GoofyGoober
Our car has always downloaded updates over LTE. Once the notification appears in the app of an update ready to download it will download usually within 48 hours over LTE with the download happening in the middle of the night. If we connect to wifi sooner then we'll get it over wifi, but even without wifi updates don't take long to come over LTE usually.
Is there a HOA maintenance room(s)/closet(s) between your unit and your parking? You might consider talking to maintenance people about plugging in a mesh system relay router unit in a closet in a corner. (Buy them a case of something to see it and forget it) Using 2 or 3 mesh router system in a row might give you wifi at your car.

Completed my DIY retrofit yesterday with mostly success but the pillar cams are giving some trouble. Triple cam installed flawlessly and no issues there. Pillar cams have been throwing errors since the first drive so decided to take a trip to the SC and pull the codes.

Looks like it doesn’t like the pillar cam type itself.

These pillars are #1092306-00-F and 1092307-00-F with camera module 1069401-00-D from a 2019 Long Range but retrofit may require 109230x-00-G revisions.

Funny thing is that the cameras completed calibration for Autopilot and it works really well, feels even better with the new camera suite. Summon calibration is stuck at 97% I assume because of the pillar errors.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 994421CF-CEEC-4207-9B61-6277FAC0E002.jpeg
    994421CF-CEEC-4207-9B61-6277FAC0E002.jpeg
    130.4 KB · Views: 96
I have the same on my invoice - they installed 1089531-00-C for the triple front camera. When looking at the video output - there is an obvious difference in the color output. The front camera is much less vivid as compared to ALL the other cameras now. My camera install was 12/22/21... and just got another update today to a non BETA version. Sitting between 98 and 100 score - for months on a 2017 P100D MODEL X. I am opening a new request to get confirmation myself. Would definitely be nice to get the more vivid view - just for dashcam footage... but maybe will solve the false FCW I get 2-3 times a week when cars are well out of my way and 50 feet down the road to my right when they fire. Forgetting self driving - if they can stop that irritating issue would be great - even if I need to pay for the camera.

I have the same on my invoice - they installed 1089531-00-C for the triple front camera. When looking at the video output - there is an obvious difference in the color output. The front camera is much less vivid as compared to ALL the other cameras now. My camera install was 12/22/21... and just got another update today to a non BETA version. Sitting between 98 and 100 score - for months on a 2017 P100D MODEL X. I am opening a new request to get confirmation myself. Would definitely be nice to get the more vivid view - just for dashcam footage... but maybe will solve the false FCW I get 2-3 times a week when cars are well out of my way and 50 feet down the road to my right when they fire. Forgetting self driving - if they can stop that irritating issue would be great - even if I need to pay for the camera.
Which update did you receive today?