Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update on AP Camera Update for Older S/X Vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On my 2016 AP2 MS I had all the cameras upgraded to latest versions as of Jan 21. Still didn't get FSD beta in there system it still shows I have the older cameras. They don't probe the HW real time my config has to be changed manually. I've gone back and forth in chat, service advisors, parts, mechanics no one know how to edit my config. They all claim there is no camera retrofit yet I'm like I already have it just edit the darn config already.

Reactions: Officient
On my 2016 AP2 MS I had all the cameras upgraded to latest versions as of Jan 21. Still didn't get FSD beta in there system it still shows I have the older cameras. They don't probe the HW real time my config has to be changed manually. I've gone back and forth in chat, service advisors, parts, mechanics no one know how to edit my config. They all claim there is no camera retrofit yet I'm like I already have it just edit the darn config already.
This is really sad, but not surprising given the rapid growth Tesla constantly pushes the service centers seem a bit confused most of the time.

In in the same situation with my 2017 MX. I updated the cameras myself in March. I can’t get Tesla to update the config so I’ll get the beta. They kept saying I needed to wait for the official update. Why? I literally already did the update.
Me: Just update the config so it matches what is already on my car.
Tesla: We can’t do that.
Me: Yes you can. You guys did it when I added a tow hitch to my car. It’s just a config change.
Tesla: We can’t do anything to get you the beta. You need to be patient.
Me: Ok. Aside from the beta, just make my config match what’s on my car.
Tesla: We can’t do it.

I give up for now.

In in the same situation with my 2017 MX. I updated the cameras myself in March. I can’t get Tesla to update the config so I’ll get the beta. They kept saying I needed to wait for the official update. Why? I literally already did the update.
Me: Just update the config so it matches what is already on my car.
Tesla: We can’t do that.
Me: Yes you can. You guys did it when I added a tow hitch to my car. It’s just a config change.
Tesla: We can’t do anything to get you the beta. You need to be patient.
Me: Ok. Aside from the beta, just make my config match what’s on my car.
Tesla: We can’t do it.

I give up for now.
What blows my mind is we have ZERO way to get in touch with someone that is in the "know". You would think they would be bending over to get us to test for them. Having bought the car in 2016 and driven 95,000 miles we would provide good feedback. But no somebody can pick it up today drive 100 miles with safety at 100/99% and get it. Comes to show you Tesla doesn't give a crap if they did they would monitor these tech forums. Here is a video I uploaded ----> Current State of Affairs on Cameras

Last edited:
Juse received a message telling me I can (and did) schedule to have my late 2016 MX cameras updated.

Attachments

• 73E470F5-C20D-4C4D-B662-5D0EDA25E1BD.png
    73E470F5-C20D-4C4D-B662-5D0EDA25E1BD.png
    170.4 KB · Views: 159
Here are more details:

Camera Replacements

Am I eligible for the complimentary camera replacements?
If you have purchased Full Self-Driving Capability and have early production cameras on your Model S or Model X vehicle built prior to September 2017, you are eligible to receive complimentary camera replacements. Only the early production cameras will be replaced with cameras with a different type of color sensor. Camera replacements are not needed on Model 3 vehicles.

When will the camera replacement be available for me?
Starting in November 2021, we will invite customers to schedule service appointments for camera replacements. Invited customers will receive a message in their Tesla app and will see an option to request camera replacements while scheduling a service appointment in Tesla app.

We are working through supply constraints, and the invitations will be staggered as supply allows. Invitations will be sent first to vehicles with the highest safety scores containing Intel Atom® infotainment processors and then to those containing NVIDIA® Tegra® processors.

Can I schedule an appointment for the camera replacement?
If your vehicle is eligible and you have received an invitation, you can schedule an appointment in the Tesla app by selecting 'Schedule Service’ > ‘Upgrades & Accessories’ > ‘Autopilot Camera Upgrade.’

Which camera will be replaced?

Part 2:

Which camera will be replaced?
The forward-facing cameras, rearward looking side cameras and forward looking side cameras will be replaced. Some vehicles may have a mix of different camera types, and only the early production cameras will be replaced with cameras with a different type of color sensor.

How long will the camera replacements take?
The camera replacement process will take up to an hour to complete.

Can Mobile Service complete the camera replacements?
Yes. The camera replacements may be completed by Mobile Service or at a Tesla Service Center.

Why do early production cameras need to be replaced?
Camera replacements are required to access a continuously expanding suite of Full Self-Driving Capability features.

There is only one SC near me that is doing this work at this time (Costa Mesa) so parts availability looks to be limited at this time. The earliest date I could get was 12/7 but had a scheduling conflict so set it for first thing on 12/8. Car spa day on the 7th and a new set of eyes on the 8th. Of course, after watching some of the Youtube videos of the Beta in it’s current state I guess I should be careful what I wish for.

So it looks like only folks in California so far? I'm in Washington, no love yet. 100 safety score. No option in the service app.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211108-202753_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20211108-202753_Tesla.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 106
  • Screenshot_20211108-202845_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20211108-202845_Tesla.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 115