Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update on AP Camera Update for Older S/X Vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Joining this thread to see if there's any consistency to the releases. Have a 2017 X with MCU2/AP3, not sure if I need a camera upgrade but I just reset my SS yesterday and going to see if I get some sort of invite in the coming weeks. Looks like they're rolling out FSD notifications once a month?

Joining this thread to see if there's any consistency to the releases. Have a 2017 X with MCU2/AP3, not sure if I need a camera upgrade but I just reset my SS yesterday and going to see if I get some sort of invite in the coming weeks. Looks like they're rolling out FSD notifications once a month?
I think if the build date is before Aug 2017 they require a camera upgrade. I have 2017 X with May 2017 build date and needed camera upgrade and scheduled for Feb 1st week.

Reactions: backinthelab
For anyone interested:

I just updated my AP2 repeater cameras to the latest revision being installed during retrofits. No drama as expected. Plug and play and good to go. May have to power the car down and up to get it to recognize the new cams.

My next venture is the triple cam and pillar cams which require a software redeployment for them to take. I headed to the service center (service mode is geofenced) and redeployed the software myself to get ready for the install that I’ll be completing tomorrow. I was kinda shocked how easy it is to redeploy firmware for part installs. I’m much more hopeful of the future of repairing my own vehicle without a service center.

I will post an update here and on my Twitter once the other cameras have been changed as well. I won’t be opting back into the safety score just yet until there is a timeline for beta V10.8.1 or 10.9 or 11 or whatever as I value my sanity and I don’t see any more cars getting pushed 10.8.

So, there's an issue with the repeater cameras that might end up throwing the whole replacement for S & X vehicles into chaos.

Many users have reported seeing glare in their repeater cameras when indicating. You could see this in dashcam footage previously, but the new repeater camera popup when indicating in V11 has really brought this front and centre. It's been discovered by Tesla Gurus why this is happening:

The PCB board designs for most HW2.5 / pre-late-2021 repeater cameras have holes that allow light to leak onto the image sensor from inside the repeater housing. This results in glare when indicating, blinding the camera. At some undetermined point, Tesla identified this and began applying tape over these holes in production to migrate the glare issue, before replacing the PCB design entirely very recently. If you can see glare, you don't have the tape-fix or the new design. I have attached images outlining this.

Going back to the post I quoted - it would be very insightful if @Lowchrg could cover up your new side repeater cameras with something like tape and note if you can see glaring when indicating (while parked, obviously). If you can, it would indicate Tesla is using the older defective designs of the repeater cameras for the retrofit campaign for S & X vehicles.

What's the problem? You would still be upgrading to a 'modern' camera set by Tesla's standards, but with defective repeaters which blind themselves in darker conditions. The entire point of this retrofit is for FSD, Tesla would be shooting themselves in the foot by replacing older cameras with ones still not fit for the purpose of FSD. Having the camera blinded by its own indicator when turning (arguably one of the most basic and crucial manoeuvres for FSD not to mess up) is completely self-defeating.

Long story short, Tesla might be installing new cameras for this programme which will need to be replaced again if they are of the older design. It would be helpful to identify if this is the case.

I am involved in various discussions about this and some owners were being granted warranty replacements to the newer cameras. The problem is that Tesla seems to have issued an internal memo recently stopping owners, including myself, from also being granted a warranty replacement. They argue the glare is simply a "characteristic" of the camera and new cameras are "design enhanced", asking us to pay out of pocket for the new design. This is completely logically inconsistent given their effort to mitigate the poor PCB design with tape on this exact design.

I can't find any discussions about the glare design flaw discovery on this forum yet, so I may make a dedicated post.

Attachments

• 1 Design Flaw.png
    1 Design Flaw.png
    656.2 KB · Views: 129
  • 3 Design Flaw.jpg
    3 Design Flaw.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 111
  • Informative
Reactions: hybridbear
So, there's an issue with the repeater cameras that might end up throwing the whole replacement for S & X vehicles into chaos.

Many users have reported seeing glare in their repeater cameras when indicating. You could see this in dashcam footage previously, but the new repeater camera popup when indicating in V11 has really brought this front and centre. It's been discovered by Tesla Gurus why this is happening:

The PCB board designs for most HW2.5 / pre-late-2021 repeater cameras have holes that allow light to leak onto the image sensor from inside the repeater housing. This results in glare when indicating, blinding the camera. At some undetermined point, Tesla identified this and began applying tape over these holes in production to migrate the glare issue, before replacing the PCB design entirely very recently. If you can see glare, you don't have the tape-fix or the new design. I have attached images outlining this.

Going back to the post I quoted - it would be very insightful if @Lowchrg could cover up your new side repeater cameras with something like tape and note if you can see glaring when indicating (while parked, obviously). If you can, it would indicate Tesla is using the older defective designs of the repeater cameras for the retrofit campaign for S & X vehicles.

What's the problem? You would still be upgrading to a 'modern' camera set by Tesla's standards, but with defective repeaters which blind themselves in darker conditions. The entire point of this retrofit is for FSD, Tesla would be shooting themselves in the foot by replacing older cameras with ones still not fit for the purpose of FSD. Having the camera blinded by its own indicator when turning (arguably one of the most basic and crucial manoeuvres for FSD not to mess up) is completely self-defeating.

Long story short, Tesla might be installing new cameras for this programme which will need to be replaced again if they are of the older design. It would be helpful to identify if this is the case.

I am involved in various discussions about this and some owners were being granted warranty replacements to the newer cameras. The problem is that Tesla seems to have issued an internal memo recently stopping owners, including myself, from also being granted a warranty replacement. They argue the glare is simply a "characteristic" of the camera and new cameras are "design enhanced", asking us to pay out of pocket for the new design. This is completely logically inconsistent given their effort to mitigate the poor PCB design with tape on this exact design.

I can't find any discussions about the glare design flaw discovery on this forum yet, so I may make a dedicated post.

I’ve tested my repeaters which are being used in the latest retrofits and they do not have the turn signal glare. Seems the fix already made it to the part number used in retrofits but may not be the case if you source your own parts. My repeaters came directly from the service center and confirmed part numbers below do not glare:

LAMP ASY, SIDE 1.00 REPEATER CAMERA, RH(1642011-00-A)

LAMP ASY, SIDE 1.00 REPEATER CAMERA, LH(1642010-00-A)

I’ve tested my repeaters which are being used in the latest retrofits and they do not have the turn signal glare. Seems the fix already made it to the part number used in retrofits but may not be the case if you source your own parts. My repeaters came directly from the service center and confirmed part numbers below do not glare:

I can confirm on January 4, 2022 these are the 2 side repeater cameras I got on my 12/2016 Model S

I also now have:
inline triple cam 1120520-00-B
B pillar left hand 1496707-S0-B
B pillar right hand 1092307-00-G

As I mentioned in another Thread, I have a Dec 30th SC appt for 4 new tires in Superior, CO (weather permitting). They also put in a Service Request for production software update, since I'm still on 2021.36.5.6. I'll report back.
Hey @Saxman
Any update on your end up in northern Colorado?
My S just got the 2022.4 update yesterday down in Colorado Springs, I just got the corrected triple cam on Jan 26
I have a 98 score so I'm hoping I get beta in the next wave of rollouts. Maybe we might have to wait til V11 in February.

Wondering about the status of your car and beta since you got everything done way before me?

Hey @Saxman
Any update on your end up in northern Colorado?
My S just got the 2022.4 update yesterday down in Colorado Springs, I just got the corrected triple cam on Jan 26
I have a 98 score so I'm hoping I get beta in the next wave of rollouts. Maybe we might have to wait til V11 in February.

Wondering about the status of your car and beta since you got everything done way before me?
@GoofyGoober
Thanks for reaching out to me. I'm on a few different Threads here and hard for me to remember what I posted where😊.

Yes I had my appt December 30 at Superior SC and was lucky enough to finish my appt and leave before it caught on fire and closed up...😯.
While I was waiting for my 4 new tires to be installed I got the FSD Beta 10.8 pushed to me, but waited till I got back home to Vail before installing it.

With all the snow we've had here I have been slow to use the FSD, but since the last 2 weeks I'm using it more & more. It's both scary and exciting. We have a lot of Roundabouts here and I've really got to keep my wits about me and concentrate and be on the ready to intervene as necessary.

Keep me posted and I hope you get the Beta soon.

Reactions: GoofyGoober

So I checked our car today. We got the 1642011-00-A & 1642010-00-A side repeaters according to our invoice, but I see lots of glare. I took a short video, what do you guys think?

It's hard to judge in a garage given light is reflecting off the walls / car.

Could you go into your recents on the dashcam and see if you have any footage during the night?
I will get some video tomorrow. We had to reformat our SSD for Sentry Mode a couple days ago & have not driven after dark since it was reformatted. But tomorrow we will drive after dark so I can compare then.

It's hard to judge in a garage given light is reflecting off the walls / car.

Could you go into your recents on the dashcam and see if you have any footage during the night?
New video on a street at night.
We got the 1642011-00-A & 1642010-00-A side repeaters according to our invoice with our RCCB camera upgrade, but I see lots of glare which should not be present with these part numbers, right?

New video on a street at night.
We got the 1642011-00-A & 1642010-00-A side repeaters according to our invoice with our RCCB camera upgrade, but I see lots of glare which should not be present with these part numbers, right?
You’ll have to ask @Lowchrg about the part numbers but you got given old defective designs of the repeaters.

Did you pay for these or was it part of the replacement programme? Either way, I think they just played you

Has anyone definitively confirmed whether one needs to be opted in or not to receive the camera invite?
I can't speak definitively but why not remain opted in? Don't worry about the score. It's a rolling 30 days. Either do the "opt out reset" (is that still a thing? I think so) or start your granny unsafe driving once you get the invitation. The time between invitation and installation is almost always > 30 days to get the right parts.

Tesla's web site at Full Self-Driving Computer Installations says "...Invitations will be sent first to vehicles with the highest safety scores..." but that is clearly false.

I've been at 99%+ since this SNAFU started, opted in. No camera invitation yet. This will take a LONG time.

I can't speak definitively but why not remain opted in? Don't worry about the score. It's a rolling 30 days. Either do the "opt out reset" (is that still a thing? I think so) or start your granny unsafe driving once you get the invitation. The time between invitation and installation is almost always > 30 days to get the right parts.

Tesla's web site at Full Self-Driving Computer Installations says "...Invitations will be sent first to vehicles with the highest safety scores..." but that is clearly false.

I've been at 99%+ since this SNAFU started, opted in. No camera invitation yet. This will take a LONG time.
I can keep up the granny (and honestly, more unsafe given my local traffic patterns) driving for 2-3 wks but it's really, really starting to wear on me. That's probably why this is now my 4th opt-in. I would certainly opt out if I knew that invitations were being sent to opt outs but I just haven't heard of a case of that happening.

How did you confirm that these part #s do not glare? I have these same part numbers (per the invoice) but I do have glare...