Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update on AP Camera Update for Older S/X Vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For me 10.9 takes left and especially right turns at a slower speed which are far more comfortable. However, neither is ready for prime time and I often intervene. Hopefully the testing we are all doing will hasten a truly useful experience.
@Jackman
Ever since I got 10.8 on Dec 30th, I lost the ability to Perpendicular Park using the new Tesla Vision autopark feature.
Do you have this new Perpendicular Parking on your legacy Tesla? I would appreciate knowing if this feature works on our legacy vehicles, even if you have never tried it before.

Supposedly we don't need a space in between 2 parked vehicles. When your Tesla is looking for any open space, the P icon will designate the space available, as long as you're driving at 5 mph or below.

When you have time, please let me know your experience.

Thank you

@Jackman
Ever since I got 10.8 on Dec 30th, I lost the ability to Perpendicular Park using the new Tesla Vision autopark feature.
Do you have this new Perpendicular Parking on your legacy Tesla? I would appreciate knowing if this feature works on our legacy vehicles, even if you have never tried it before.

Supposedly we don't need a space in between 2 parked vehicles. When your Tesla is looking for any open space, the P icon will designate the space available, as long as you're driving at 5 mph or below.

Thank you
I think we have seen this on our Legacy S that's waiting for FSD Beta. We are currently on 2022.4.5. I have not tried it yet, but I have seen the perpendicular parking P in parking lots without other cars around.

Reactions: KArnold and Saxman
@Jackman

Thank you
OK so I had a chance to do some testing today of the Perpendicular Autopark function on my 12/2016 MX with all the hdwe upgrades and running FSD Beta 10.9. The first time out autopark worked perfect for the first test with lines only. I tried it again between 2 parked cars and it started fine then it stopped and failed to complete the park. I tried several more times and it wouldn't engage the "P".
I went home and parked for a few hours then went out again to the same parking lot. I tried again and it worked perfect several times. I even did a perpendicular park next to another vehicle on one side and that too worked perfect.
So, yes perpendicular autopark works on older upgraded cars, but sometimes is spotty.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
FWIW my car (non-beta so far) still attempts to autopark perpendicular between cars, in parallel parking situations, and perpendicular spots with no cars around. I've also noticed that every now and then Autopark will pause halfway thru, and I have to hit Resume a few times, only for it to abort before finishing parking.

@Jackman and @ fcastrillo86

Thank you both for taking the time to test this out for me.

I had my X at the Service Center yesterday and they were unable to get autopark to even identify a parking space let alone attempt to self park.

Prior to my Service appointment they asked me to attempt Autopark and Timestamp these attempts so they can review on my logs. I did this several times over a 2 week period and each time texted Service Advisor that I never got the Parking icon, needed to initiate Autopark.

When I first arrived at Service my Advisor told me they reviewed my Logs prior to my arrival and saw that Autopark was achieved twice. I told him that was completely untrue, NEVER in my 10+ attempts over 2 weeks did I see the Parking icon, and the Logs are wrong.

They are now telling me this is a known issue with some cars and they don't have a hardware or software fix, as yet.

I don't understand how Tesla Vision is working on my X and doing nicely with FSD BETA 10.8.1, yet not able to have TeslaVision work with Autopark. Does this seem logical to anyone?

@Jackman and @ fcastrillo86

Thank you both for taking the time to test this out for me.

I had my X at the Service Center yesterday and they were unable to get autopark to even identify a parking space let alone attempt to self park.

Prior to my Service appointment they asked me to attempt Autopark and Timestamp these attempts so they can review on my logs. I did this several times over a 2 week period and each time texted Service Advisor that I never got the Parking icon, needed to initiate Autopark.

When I first arrived at Service my Advisor told me they reviewed my Logs prior to my arrival and saw that Autopark was achieved twice. I told him that was completely untrue, NEVER in my 10+ attempts over 2 weeks did I see the Parking icon, and the Logs are wrong.

They are now telling me this is a known issue with some cars and they don't have a hardware or software fix, as yet.

I don't understand how Tesla Vision is working on my X and doing nicely with FSD BETA 10.8.1, yet not able to have TeslaVision work with Autopark. Does this seem logical to anyone?
Software or hardware I don't know, but it's not an individual car issue. On my first set of tries Autopark started to work fine, then just stopped and further tries wouldn't get it to work again. Then a few hours later it was working correctly and I couldn't get it to fail at least 10x in a row. It's like a switch gets set and the car gets locked out. IMO, If Tesla wanted to spend time on this they could easily find the problem.

• Informative
Reactions: Saxman
So, yes perpendicular autopark works on older upgraded cars, but sometimes is spotty.
@Jackman
Thanks again for checking this out for me.

Your vehicle is probably the best "apple to apple" comparison to mine. My Service Advisor claims that it must be a software glitch preventing me from getting Autopark to work and the Engineers are working on a Software bug fix (I'll believe that when I see it 🤔).

Do you recall if your autopark worked on 10.8.1? IF SO, then why wouldn't it work on my December 2016 MX, as well, since I am still on 10.8.1. Otherwise, my problem may be unrelated to software and possibly a camera issue.

I hate to obsess over this Autopark but it may be indicative of a more serious issue with my MX.

Please advise,with you thoughts.

Thank you

@Jackman
Thanks again for checking this out for me.

Your vehicle is probably the best "apple to apple" comparison to mine. My Service Advisor claims that it must be a software glitch preventing me from getting Autopark to work and the Engineers are working on a Software bug fix (I'll believe that when I see it 🤔).

Do you recall if your autopark worked on 10.8.1? IF SO, then why wouldn't it work on my December 2016 MX, as well, since I am still on 10.8.1. Otherwise, my problem may be unrelated to software and possibly a camera issue.

I hate to obsess over this Autopark but it may be indicative of a more serious issue with my MX.

Please advise,with you thoughts.

Thank you
I didn't test it when I was on 10.8.1. I've gotten used to not using Autopark over the years since it's slow and can be intermittent. Hopefully I'll get Beta 10.10.x this weekend and I'll do more testing. I did BTW try it again this morning while still on 10.9 during an Arizona trip and it worked fine.

@Jackman

I just got 10.10.2 installed this evening. I'll be curious to see if that will impact my Autopark when I test it tomorrow.

Obviously Autopark is not crucial, but since I paid for it in 2016 I would like the option to use it or not. Also it is a challenge for me to try and figure out why you may have it on 10.9 and if I don't on 10.10.2.

Hey, I'm retired so this is like a hobby for me.

😊👍👌

@Jackman

I just got 10.10.2 installed this evening. I'll be curious to see if that will impact my Autopark when I test it tomorrow.

Obviously Autopark is not crucial, but since I paid for it in 2016 I would like the option to use it or not. Also it is a challenge for me to try and figure out why you may have it on 10.9 and if I don't on 10.10.2.

Hey, I'm retired so this is like a hobby for me.

😊👍👌
Heh, heh... I too just installed 10.10.2 which I'll test out tomorrow. I'm also retired so this gives me something to do too.

Reactions: Saxman
Heh, heh... I too just installed 10.10.2 which I'll test out tomorrow. I'm also retired so this gives me something to do too.
@Jackman
I drove a little this morning on 10.10.2 mainly to see if my Autopark was working. Nothing new has happened from this Update. When cruising a parking lot with white Parking Lines, I still see other vehicles that are occupying spaces and I also see unoccupied Parking Spaces that are AVAILABLE. However, I STILL do not see the Parking Icon that enables me to initiate the AutoPark.

If you are able to AutoPark on 10.10.2, and I am also on 10.10.2 but cannot AutoPark, would logic tell us that something other than software is preventing my vehicle from AutoParking? Possibly a camera malfunction? But if a camera was malfunctioning, wouldn't that affect my FSD Beta, which seems to be doing pretty good? I'm at a loss to figure this out.

I am not all that tech savvy so I'm only conjecturing...If our vehicles have the identical configurations and are on the identical software version, shouldn't that enable all the software features in my vehicle that are working in your vehicle?

What are your thoughts about this?

Thanks

@Jackman
I drove a little this morning on 10.10.2 mainly to see if my Autopark was working. Nothing new has happened from this Update. When cruising a parking lot with white Parking Lines, I still see other vehicles that are occupying spaces and I also see unoccupied Parking Spaces that are AVAILABLE. However, I STILL do not see the Parking Icon that enables me to initiate the AutoPark.

If you are able to AutoPark on 10.10.2, and I am also on 10.10.2 but cannot AutoPark, would logic tell us that something other than software is preventing my vehicle from AutoParking? Possibly a camera malfunction? But if a camera was malfunctioning, wouldn't that affect my FSD Beta, which seems to be doing pretty good? I'm at a loss to figure this out.

I am not all that tech savvy so I'm only conjecturing...If our vehicles have the identical configurations and are on the identical software version, shouldn't that enable all the software features in my vehicle that are working in your vehicle?

What are your thoughts about this?

Thanks
I went out today and tried Autopark while on FSD 10.10.2. It worked flawlessly on right side open spaces both with no cars on either side or a car on one side. It worked everytime, so if yours doesn't work I think it's time for a SvC visit. Maybe they can recalibrate the cameras or have another suggestion, I also think there is a way you can recalibrate the cameras yourself from a menu selection, but im not sure of that. As an aside, I tried to also Perpendicular park with the open parking lines on the left side of the car; that doesn't work. Neither does trying to park into angled lines on either the left or right side of the car.

Reactions: EVNow
I went out today and tried Autopark while on FSD 10.10.2. It worked flawlessly on right side open spaces both with no cars on either side or a car on one side. It worked everytime, so if yours doesn't work I think it's time for a SvC visit. Maybe they can recalibrate the cameras or have another suggestion, I also think there is a way you can recalibrate the cameras yourself from a menu selection, but im not sure of that. As an aside, I tried to also Perpendicular park with the open parking lines on the left side of the car; that doesn't work. Neither does trying to park into angled lines on either the left or right side of the car.
@Jackman

Thanks again for ALL your time and help in trying to analyze what is wrong with my situation.
I already went the SvC route on Feb 17th and all they could tell me is that this is a "Known Issue" and the Engineering Team is working on a fix.

That sounded like Bullshit to me then and especially now. I was on 10.8.1 then and I'm on 10.10.2 now.

Do you agree, that if we are both on 10.10.2 and the AutoPark works on your MX with identical configuration as my MX, logically the AutoPark should work on my MX, as well?

@Jackman

Thanks again for ALL your time and help in trying to analyze what is wrong with my situation.
I already went the SvC route on Feb 17th and all they could tell me is that this is a "Known Issue" and the Engineering Team is working on a fix.

That sounded like Bullshit to me then and especially now. I was on 10.8.1 then and I'm on 10.10.2 now.

Do you agree, that if we are both on 10.10.2 and the AutoPark works on your MX with identical configuration as my MX, logically the AutoPark should work on my MX, as well?
Sure I don't have a reason to doubt that logic since we both have 12/2016 MX90D's. Maybe it's my Red color... it's special... haha. However, over the years, Autopark both Perpendicular and Parallel, have been intermittent at various times. I'm just pleasantly lucky it's now working OK.