Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update on AP Camera Update for Older S/X Vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@brouck, I did exactly the same. I even booked an appointment in Nov for the cameras since they had started replacing them. Appoint was for 3 weeks in advance. And was accepted. Confirmed by a SA. Then day before, they cancelled it and told me to wait for an invite. That has never been offered.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
Just curious, did you get the camera retrofit email? Or did you schedule service appointment(s)?
I got an email i believe first week of December. My Tesla app also had a message alerting me to my eligibility for the camera upgrade, but i didn't get a notification for it. I had fired up my app to schedule the appointment (based on the email), and noticed my profile pic had a dot indicating an unread inbox message.

FYI: the camera upgrade will only appear as a service item once you get the email. It's under Service > Upgrades & Accessories > Autopilot Camera Upgrade.

On the legacy MS/MX, is a "strike" not responding to the nag when it flashes? And exceeding 80 MPH on FSD Beta? Anything else count as a strike? Those are easy enough to avoid.

And can you turn off FSD Beta and still use NAV up to 90 MPH?

I think I'm going to enjoy not having a cabin cam even with less strikes. Kind of a valued Unicorn down the road if this ever works well.

TY

• Disagree
Reactions: !igs
On the legacy MS/MX, is a "strike" not responding to the nag when it flashes?
Yes.
And exceeding 80 MPH on FSD Beta?
Yes, although it might be 85 MPH now.

And can you turn off FSD Beta and still use NAV up to 90 MPH?
Since radar is turned off once you get an FSD Beta build it seems that we are always limited to the lower speed on any time of driver assist functions. So if we want to go faster than the 85 MPH max we'd need to cancel completely via the stalk before accelerating or it appears to be an automatic strike. Strikes also accumulate for any driver profile & any driver at any time, not only the profile with FSD or while driving using FSD.

Reactions: KArnold
You'll have to be proactive, make an appointment for the camera upgrade and force them to either set you up or turn you down. That's how I got mine. I never received an "invitation" for the upgrade.
I tried this approach twice now and got denied both times. I have a 2017 Model S (April 2017 build) and will keep trying. Not sure what the secret is to get the camera upgrade to actually use the FSD feature we all paid for years ago.

I tried this approach twice now and got denied both times. I have a 2017 Model S (April 2017 build)
Same for my June '17 build. But did get the camera upgrade Email a week ago. Now wait for the work, pray they have the right part numbers, wait for the next FSD rollout, and hope I'm not bypassed even after all of that.

I'm convinced the camera upgrade, like software rollouts, are completely random. Clearly it has nothing to do with the SS despite what their web page says.

Musk could not care less about customers once he has your money.

• Disagree
Reactions: !igs and MTOman
Howdy all! Happy to announce I finally received the promised camera upgrade on my 2017 Model X a week ago on Valentines day from the Renton Washington service center. I've since been patiently waiting for FSD beta software, I've been driving around with 99+ safety score for months. Anyone have a good idea at this point as to when I should expect to get FSD beta software deployed? I'm hoping it's not as ambiguous as many things are... from my reading it looks like geography may play a role.
Congrats! I have a 2017 MX as well. I’m still waiting for Tesla to honor me with an invite to upgrade my cameras. It’s now September 2022! They can’t have that many cars to upgrade. They say it’s due to supply shortages. But they are still putting them in new cars.

Reactions: Akikiki