Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update on the Salt Lake City Tesla store turmoil

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Stopped by today and was delighted to see five (!) Model Xs that had just been delivered. No pictures allowed as they are customer cars. Could not even get too close. But it was nice to see so many all at once. They brought one inside to start dealer prep stuff and opened both gull wing doors. Fun to watch. (Yes, I know they are falcon wing doors but I've been in lust with the MB 300SL for decades so any doors that open "up" are gull wings to me. :)

As I was leaving there was a guy interested in a ride. No company Teslas available so I offered a ride in mine. Part way through the demo he mentioned he is a Utah state legislator. When he said that I blurted (in a hopefully nice way) "Can you fix the law?" :)

When I got home this evening I heard from another legislator I've spoken with before and she said she'd just heard from the guy and that he enjoyed the ride and does want the law changed. So, fingers crossed. Next legislative session starts later this month.

What as great story! Thanks for the share.

Part way through the demo he mentioned he is a Utah state legislator. When he said that I blurted (in a hopefully nice way) "Can you fix the law?" :)

When I got home this evening I heard from another legislator I've spoken with before and she said she'd just heard from the guy and that he enjoyed the ride and does want the law changed. So, fingers crossed. Next legislative session starts later this month.

Maybe a planned "TESLA UTAH RALLY" to coincide with the state legislative session?

26 January - 12 March, 2015

Pick a day, far enough into the session that active grass roots lobbying can be done to get a cadre of legislators (and the news media) at one local for test drives.

Maybe a planned "TESLA UTAH RALLY" to coincide with the state legislative session?

Great idea. But probably should be coordinated with Rep. Coleman (the bill's sponsor).

BTW, I heard from her today. She reports being optomistic. Said her bill just needs a few more tweaks before it's filed.

- - - Updated - - -

Now is the time to make our voices heard.
Contact Information - Governor Gary Herbert

Not a bad idea to contact the governor. But he's already on record as favoring Tesla.

More important to contact individual legislators:
Utah State Legislature

What if Tesla were to defy the "law" and just open up and start doing full business in Utah. Let them send the police/SWAT team to stop them. Tesla employees selling a USA made car powered by USA fuel being arrested for selling it would be a great news story. Tesla could use this to start the federal lawsuit of restraint of trade against these stupid bought-and-paid-for state governments.

While in general this idea would work, it would signal an unwillingness to follow laws by Tesla and it would cause many governments to crack down on them in a way that would make profitable business very difficult for Tesla. I understand Tesla's business acumen by not taking these more adversarial approaches. Running big business with big government around is like running an Embassy: everything has to be very Diplomatic. A little push, a little negotiation. No bold moves, unless that's absolutely called for in the diplomacy.

Weird coincidence (w this thread - & the upcoming Legislative session)
i got this email today:
so what, if anything, legally has changed?! I'll ask the guys at the store, but their responses are often understandably policy driven as opposed to plain facts. You know, the 3 sides to every story thing.
But anyway... Hooray!
Tesla Salt Lake City
is Now Open
Retail-Store-Interior_lt.jpg

We know you share our enthusiasm for Tesla’s mission of accelerating the world’s transition to sustainable transport, so we’d like to invite you to explore Tesla’s first sales location in Utah.

The award winning Model S, now with All-Wheel Drive and Autopilot features, is an evolution in automobile engineering. To find out why, visit Tesla Salt Lake City or schedule a test drive appointment by clicking on the link below.

150513_NA_Santa_Barbara_Grand_Opening_white_wm_0.png

150513_NA_Santa_Barbara_Grand_Opening_vimeo.png
150513_NA_Santa_Barbara_Grand_Opening_youtube.png
150513_NA_Santa_Barbara_Grand_Opening_twitter.png
150513_NA_Santa_Barbara_Grand_Opening_facebook.png
8v5eteby
Hey! The links all work! How'd I do that?

Sounds like it's time to stop by the store again. Mike have you been down there today ?
ive been driving by somewhat :wink:more often now that there are 6! Model Xs in the yard. It's easy off/on the freeway there if I'm passing by. So, yes, I went by today, but didn't go inside. You know, they've been operating like a real store now for at least several weeks. A welcome change.

Had some free time after work and stopped by the store. Yes they can sell USED cars at the store. If you want to buy a new car you have to do that online.

They do have a very nice Model S P90D on display that you can look at and sit in. I asked about looking at the Model X and sorry you can not get close to that one. All of those are customer cars getting prepped for delivery. They might have a Model X for you to look at in 3 or 4 months.

.... They might have a Model X for you to look at in 3 or 4 months.
yeeesh, by then anybody around here that wants will have seen and/or ridden in and/or driven MINE! Oh... wait I'm assuming a lot of things there. I'll keep in touch. Kyle, one of these days we'll cross paths there. I'm on a job just a couple blocks west of the store for a couple of weeks. ML

Had some free time after work and stopped by the store. Yes they can sell USED cars at the store. If you want to buy a new car you have to do that online.

That seems kind of odd. But then the whole thing with Tesla in Utah is weird.

I mean, yes, they can't talk price (yet) or take your money (yet) but can give you all the other information you need and then you go out to your car in their parking lot, hook your laptop to wifi and place the order. :)

It'll be so nice after this next legislative session when, hopefully, car sales in Utah will join the 21st century.

That seems kind of odd. But then the whole thing with Tesla in Utah is weird.

I mean, yes, they can't talk price (yet) or take your money (yet) but can give you all the other information you need and then you go out to your car in their parking lot, hook your laptop to wifi and place the order. :)

It'll be so nice after this next legislative session when, hopefully, car sales in Utah will join the 21st century.
I actually went in and talked to them for about 1 hour. After i asked all i wanted i actually went in and we configured my car on their computers and sav3d it to a created account we made there. Then i went home and thought about it some more and pulled the trigger

I actually went in and talked to them for about 1 hour. After i asked all i wanted i actually went in and we configured my car on their computers and sav3d it to a created account we made there. Then i went home and thought about it some more and pulled the trigger
Sounds like fun. Wadja get!? You probably won't have to wait for 3 years, which is nice.