Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update removed Sirius/XM selection from infotainment screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently got an update to 2020.48.37.6 on my 2013 Model S. I had been listening to some podcasts and had not noticed that S/XM is gone until this morning. And I mean gone. Like the car never had it and doesn't even have the satellite radio. If you let your subscription lapse or the car gets out of sync S/XM is still there and you can listen to the DEMO channel but there isn't any way to even select that anymore. I tried rebooting but that made no difference. The FM radio still works but I never use that anyway. I like Sirius because despite AT&T and Verizon's claims to the contrary there are large areas of the country with no cell service. And at least until a few months ago SXM would operate without a cell connection. They sort of broke that in that you can't get channel lists without a cell connection so unless you start listening in a place with cell service you can't select any channels. Of course that is not my current problem.

I have scheduled a service at the closest service center (400 miles away) but this should not be necessary. I wish there was a way to regress to the last good software which was version 6 which went away sometime in 2015 or 2016.

Tesla is a great technology company but a terrible software company.

Anyone else seen this? Anything else you can think of to try since a reboot didn't do it.

I am trying and failing at not being angry about this.

Maybe the simple solution... There is now a "sources" menu in the settings for audio where one can turn off things like the phone, USB, etc. perhaps the XM radio slider is off? Same place that you set the balance. This menu seems to have changed a lot lately.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
in my latest Mosel S update my SiriusXM and ALL video entertainment apps are missing. Does anyone in Tesla software engineering ever test their releases before sending out? This is worse than amateur hour.
Apologies to all for the poor quality of my typing in the above comment (typing on a cellphone at the time). The problem reported above is on my 2018 Tesla S software version 2021.4.18.2

Maybe the simple solution... There is now a "sources" menu in the settings for audio where one can turn off things like the phone, USB, etc. perhaps the XM radio slider is off? Same place that you set the balance. This menu seems to have changed a lot lately.

Tmeister:

That was a good idea and it was one I didn't think of. Unfortunately there is no entry for Sirius/XM on that menu anymore in my car.

And it was acting weird. When I turned off Radio it greyed out all the other entries. I turned it back on and they all came back. The only one I had turned off was Spotify which I have now turned back on. And when I just tried turning off Radio, only the radio entry was turned off. Maybe I will reboot again. I guess it can't hurt.

What makes even less sense is why the update I got just last week (Friday I think) was the v10.2 2020.48.37.6. I have had a couple of other updates in 2021.

If a company tells you that you should reboot your device from time to time it is a clear indication that they are doing it wrong.

Well update the software finished installing and I just took the car out for about a 10 mi drive.

No obvious glitches and my XM radios and so forth are still there no weird warnings or error codes yet...... fingers crossed

Yes sadly with the update to 2020.48.37.6 it seems to have completely remove the source selection for SiriusXM.
Tesla you need to fix this as people are paying for a subscription to SiriusXM and we can't even use it and we can't but the subscription on hold till its fixed.

Gone for me too. Not listed as a source option anymore. Streaming also seems unreliable, I've been getting a fair number of of mid-track "skips" where it stops playing and then forwards to a new track.

Also, in the evening the MCU is going into a deep sleep or something and remote access fails (Tesla app can't connect even after multiple attempts). If I just unlock and lock doors with the fob, it "wakes up" and I can connect.

Was previously on 2020.48.37.4 and did not experience those issues, though I don't know about XM because I don't use it.

Recently got an update to 2020.48.37.6 on my 2013 Model S. I had been listening to some podcasts and had not noticed that S/XM is gone until this morning. And I mean gone. Like the car never had it and doesn't even have the satellite radio. If you let your subscription lapse or the car gets out of sync S/XM is still there and you can listen to the DEMO channel but there isn't any way to even select that anymore. I tried rebooting but that made no difference. The FM radio still works but I never use that anyway. I like Sirius because despite AT&T and Verizon's claims to the contrary there are large areas of the country with no cell service. And at least until a few months ago SXM would operate without a cell connection. They sort of broke that in that you can't get channel lists without a cell connection so unless you start listening in a place with cell service you can't select any channels. Of course that is not my current problem.

I have scheduled a service at the closest service center (400 miles away) but this should not be necessary. I wish there was a way to regress to the last good software which was version 6 which went away sometime in 2015 or 2016.

Tesla is a great technology company but a terrible software company.

Anyone else seen this? Anything else you can think of to try since a reboot didn't do it.

I am trying and failing at not being angry about this.
I have the same problem with my model S 2013. I upgraded the SW yesterday and have the same problem. The earliest mobile service Appt if Aug 10. We have a service center in Rochester, NY, but they tend to hold on to the car for a week as they are overbooked. Reboot did not help and in order to refresh the radio the XM app needs to be present. Annoying!

Yes, I got the same problem with my 2015 Model S S/XM is gone. Like it was never there. Click on Radio only able to get FM stations. I tried hard and soft reboot without any change. Irritating yes, but one of the few "software" problems I have had in 6 years of ownership. So yes I am following for solutions.

Same problem here. It disappeared during a 4 hour drive, apparently when I switched to the ‘phone’ mode to listen to an audio book. Downloaded 2020.38.47.6 about 2 weeks earlier so not an immediate or definite complication from the firmware update.

SiriusXM disappeared for me today, too. (Strangely, I haven't installed any new software updates recently; it's been a few weeks probably.)

I was able to get it back by doing the following:
1. Scroll wheel reset
2. Power Off
3. Scroll wheel reset (again)

It came back after step 3.

Last edited:
SiriusXM disappeared for me today, too. (Strangely, I haven't installed any new software updates recently; it's been a few weeks probably.)

I was able to get it back by doing the following:
1. Scroll wheel reset
2. Power Off
3. Scroll wheel reset (again)

It came back after step 3.
Thank you swt2c. This process worked and my XM is back. Maybe someone should let tesla service know.

Reactions: swt2c
Apologies to all for the poor quality of my typing in the above comment (typing on a cellphone at the time). The problem reported above is on my 2018 Tesla S software version 2021.4.18.2
I finally had enough. Anyone notice that there is no way to send a complaint to Tesla? All web links end up trying to sell you something.
I used the app to request a service Appt. They responded with a mobile service call the very next day. The tech who arrived was well aware of the problem and apparently has been busy fixing it on many cars This week. The fix is to hard reset the car which means temporarily disconnecting the 12V battery. The two steering wheel push reset doesn’t fix it. After the car rebooted SiriusXM and the Theater apps were back. It’s a simple fix, but requires a Tesla tech to do it.

Reactions: The A List