Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update removed Sirius/XM selection from infotainment screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2017 Model S P100D, Updated to 2020.48.37.6 yesterday and Sirius XM gone. Followed "swt2c" basic recommendations for do it yourself fix.

1. Removed thumb drive from USB port.
2. Scroll wheel reset.
3. Power off -> waited 2 minutes
4. Pressed Brake -> Power back on
4. Scroll wheel reset.
5. Noooooooooooo! Sirius XM still missing
6. Power off again -> waited 3 minutes
7. Pressed Brake -> Power back on
8. Yea! Sirius XM back (on promo channel only)
9. Did XM reset. Waited 5 minutes
10. Hooray! Sirius XM is back and functional.
Tried this twice and still no XM choice. There must be another variable somewhere.

Recently got an update to 2020.48.37.6 on my 2013 Model S. I had been listening to some podcasts and had not noticed that S/XM is gone until this morning. And I mean gone. Like the car never had it and doesn't even have the satellite radio. If you let your subscription lapse or the car gets out of sync S/XM is still there and you can listen to the DEMO channel but there isn't any way to even select that anymore. I tried rebooting but that made no difference. The FM radio still works but I never use that anyway. I like Sirius because despite AT&T and Verizon's claims to the contrary there are large areas of the country with no cell service. And at least until a few months ago SXM would operate without a cell connection. They sort of broke that in that you can't get channel lists without a cell connection so unless you start listening in a place with cell service you can't select any channels. Of course that is not my current problem.

I have scheduled a service at the closest service center (400 miles away) but this should not be necessary. I wish there was a way to regress to the last good software which was version 6 which went away sometime in 2015 or 2016.

Tesla is a great technology company but a terrible software company.

Anyone else seen this? Anything else you can think of to try since a reboot didn't do it.

I am trying and failing at not being angry about this.
I did my update about a week and a half ago and XM has worked with no issues however today it was gone. I mean everything is gone I’ve gone to the source tab and it’s not even an option. There is absolutely zero options whatsoever for XM it is gone!

• Informative
Reactions: Ed Hart
I did my update about a week and a half ago and XM has worked with no issues however today it was gone. I mean everything is gone I’ve gone to the source tab and it’s not even an option. There is absolutely zero options whatsoever for XM it is gone!

• Informative
Reactions: Ed Hart
My 2015 MS 90 had the same issue from the update 10 days ago. Found this thread. Headed to the car this morning to try the 3-step process listed above by @swt2c and before I did anything, I checked the audio area and much to my amazement, SiriusXM is back and works! Primary version 2020.48.37.6 remains the same; not sure if they snuck in a micro-update/hot fix without triggering the update process but man, so strange to just randomly re-appear. Of course happy but to the points above, come on Tesla, you're better than this.

I am experiencing the same problem with my 2013 Model S. The SirusXM option simply disappeared. I tried to reset, turn off and reset, but I had no luck. So I used the ap to set a mobile service appointment. I just received a call from the mobile tech who said that they have not had this complaint before and that they could not take care of it through the mobile service. Instead, I have to make a service appointment, which the next available is on August 16. So now I have to wait 2 1/2 weeks for an appointment! Does anyone know if I am going to have to pay for this appointment and if so, any idea of how much it will be?

I have tried several more times to do the reset and no luck. Tried it with the charger cable connected and disconnected, sitting in the drivers sear during the 5 minute power off and leaving the car during that time.

I exchanged several messages with Tesla service and concluded with having them cancel my appointment. They know of the issue but there is no current fix for it. It will be corrected in a future software update is what I was told.

Now this seems odd with some of the reports people are making here but there are so many variables that it could behave differently on different cars depending on a lot of different factors. It is clear that the power off reset thing worked for some people. But that may not be a permanent fix, I mean it could come back.

Now this seems odd with some of the reports people are making here but there are so many variables that it could behave differently on different cars depending on a lot of different factors. It is clear that the power off reset thing worked for some people. But that may not be a permanent fix, I mean it could come back.
Agreed. I suspect it could come back.

Recently got an update to 2020.48.37.6 on my 2013 Model S. I had been listening to some podcasts and had not noticed that S/XM is gone until this morning. And I mean gone. Like the car never had it and doesn't even have the satellite radio. If you let your subscription lapse or the car gets out of sync S/XM is still there and you can listen to the DEMO channel but there isn't any way to even select that anymore. I tried rebooting but that made no difference. The FM radio still works but I never use that anyway. I like Sirius because despite AT&T and Verizon's claims to the contrary there are large areas of the country with no cell service. And at least until a few months ago SXM would operate without a cell connection. They sort of broke that in that you can't get channel lists without a cell connection so unless you start listening in a place with cell service you can't select any channels. Of course that is not my current problem.

I have scheduled a service at the closest service center (400 miles away) but this should not be necessary. I wish there was a way to regress to the last good software which was version 6 which went away sometime in 2015 or 2016.

Anyone else seen this? Anything else you can think of to try since a reboot didn't do it.

I’ve been suffering through the same issue, but I was finally able to contact someone from Tesla support. Here’s what they told me:
“Thank you for reaching out to Tesla vehicle support. Please reply to this email with a screenshot of your vehicle's media tab as well as their Radio tab. It is very helpful for us to see what is listed in both of these locations. There is a fix available which may result in the loss of some vehicle settings (this may include driver profile settings). Please confirm if you would like the fixed sent out which may result in losing vehicle settings. Thank you! “
I’ll re-post once I get the fax and let you know how it worked out.

I have tried several more times to do the reset and no luck. Tried it with the charger cable connected and disconnected, sitting in the drivers sear during the 5 minute power off and leaving the car during that time.

I exchanged several messages with Tesla service and concluded with having them cancel my appointment. They know of the issue but there is no current fix for it. It will be corrected in a future software update is what I was told.

Tesla serice told me the same thing about getting no current fix. I canceled my appointment as well. They did send me a "firmware" update for the appointment that I installed and this morning I had S X/M back. Tesla told me it would not work, but I have X/M again. they did say they could "expedite" to the engineers and they would wipe all my personal settings including garage doors and seat settings etc.. and I declined that offer. Hope this helps someone.

Same thing here. My 2015 model S no longer has any ability to tune into Sirius XM although I have the compatible radio I’ve used for years.