Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update removed the ability to set Charge Limit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used to be able to set the charge limit to 80%. A recent update removed this capability. I charge at home using the Tesla charger. I had the limit set to 80% and when I got ready to go on a local trip, the battery was charged to 100%. I have never set the battery charge level this high. When I was driving I had no regenerative braking due to the battery being at 100%.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Thanks!

Does the car save your charge threshold by GPS location? At a supercharger, it almost always defaults to 80%, at home it stays at whatever I set it at the last time I charged there.
Yes it does save my location by GPS at home. I just looked at my iPhone App again, and there is no option to set a charge limit. All I see is enable Scheduled Charging. All the options on the car and phone assume I am going on a trip.

Do you have one of the newest models with the new LFP batteries? I think something changes with those because you can charge to 100% all the time. Check the forum threads here. How you schedule charging abs the options available changed because of the battery changes. You have worse cold weather charging and performance, but slightly better range with the new battery type.

Do you have one of the newest models with the new LFP batteries? I think something changes with those because you can charge to 100% all the time. Check the forum threads here. How you schedule charging abs the options available changed because of the battery changes. You have worse cold weather charging and performance, but slightly better range with the new battery type.
No. I have a 2018 RWD.

The charge limit can definitely be set, both in the car and in the mobile app. There have been issues with some settings in the app so I recommend sitting in the car to set your limit if you are seeing any problems. In case the limit is stored by location, make sure to set your limit when you are at the location where you want to charge.
The LFP battery cars can be set exactly the same way. The only difference is that they removed the suggestion to not charge over 90% regularly. This has no bearing on the current issue being discussed.
The superchargers will LOWER your limit to 80% if the supercharger site is busy. You are allowed to set it back higher if you need it. Again, this is not relevant to the current question.

I used to be able to set the charge limit to 80%. A recent update removed this capability. I charge at home using the Tesla charger. I had the limit set to 80% and when I got ready to go on a local trip, the battery was charged to 100%. I have never set the battery charge level this high. When I was driving I had no regenerative braking due to the battery being at 100%.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Thanks!
Has your car ignored the charge limit once, or has it happened multiple times in a row? I've had my Model 3 since April 2018 and over 70,000 miles and have had it overcharge twice in that time. It was due to some glitch in the software, but only happened once at a time the two times it's happened. If yours is regularly overcharging, then it probably is a big in your software version and you should contact Tesla about it.

Has your car ignored the charge limit once, or has it happened multiple times in a row? I've had my Model 3 since April 2018 and over 70,000 miles and have had it overcharge twice in that time. It was due to some glitch in the software, but only happened once at a time the two times it's happened. If yours is regularly overcharging, then it probably is a big in your software version and you should contact Tesla about it.
It only happed once. The problem I have now is that I can't set an 80% charge limit. Maybe it is caused by the battery charge level of 96%? I guess I need to wait till the battery level drops down to below 80%.

I used to be able to set the charge limit to 80%. A recent update removed this capability.

I can guarantee you that there is no recent update that removed the capability to set the charge limit. Now, there have been glitches from people setting the charge limit in the app. Also, the ability to set the charge limit doesnt tend to show up in the app until the car is fully awake.

Go sit in your car and change the charge limit there.

Reactions: android04
It only happed once. The problem I have now is that I can't set an 80% charge limit. Maybe it is caused by the battery charge level of 96%? I guess I need to wait till the battery level drops down to below 80%.
Please post a picture of the charging screen in your car or a screenshot from your phone app. Be sure to redact your address.

Here’s an example from my app:

CB2D2800-20E8-46A1-B842-37771453BDAD.jpeg

Reactions: Floydsox
Here is the car charge page screenshot.

Get rid of the scheduled departure setting. Thats likely what is causing your problem. In fact, you likely set a scheduled departure setting when you were going on your trip, and did not realize that the setting would "stay there"

Go through and remove any and all "Scheduled departure" settings. I can tell you have one set because the screen in your car says "Scheduled departure -- Switch to Scheduled charging".

Get rid of scheduled departure and you will be able to change your settings.

I already tried to remove the "Scheduled departure". I tried Scheduled charging" and I still can't set a 80% charge limit. I also don't want a scheduled charging. Prior to this problem I was able to set an 80% limit without any scheduled charging or

You dont want scheduled departure OR scheduled charging. Get rid of the scheduled departure. Its not mandatory to use either of those features.