Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update removed the ability to set Charge Limit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your charge limit is set to what you want, but the battery is already charged higher than your limit. So you have to wait for the charge to go down by itself (slowly) or use the car and help it go down faster. Once the battery charge goes below your set limit, the car will charge to the limit. The glitch that overcharged the car for you once is not very likely to happen again.

Reactions: Big Earl
Have you tried rebooting both the car and the phone? Sometimes I have to do that after an update for the features to fully function.

I've always been able to change the limit in both the car and app no matter what the current SOC was.

I used to be able to set the charge limit to 80%. A recent update removed this capability. I charge at home using the Tesla charger. I had the limit set to 80% and when I got ready to go on a local trip, the battery was charged to 100%. I have never set the battery charge level this high. When I was driving I had no regenerative braking due to the battery being at 100%.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Thanks!
Yes, and I am unimpressed! I set the charge limit low in the garage (underground, no reliable internet access) and turn it up when I need to charge to drive somewhere. So I change this setting all the time. Not being able to do it in the car (and I can't find any way of doing this) means I have to have internet access in the car and on the phone. Why take this away?!

Yes, and I am unimpressed! I set the charge limit low in the garage (underground, no reliable internet access) and turn it up when I need to charge to drive somewhere. So I change this setting all the time. Not being able to do it in the car (and I can't find any way of doing this) means I have to have internet access in the car and on the phone. Why take this away?!

The short answer is: they didn’t take it away.

Last edited:
The short answer is: they didn’t take it away.

Thanks for the short answer! Problem is, on my 2015 model S 90D with AP1 and MCU2 the (portrait) screen seems not to be wide enough (or something) ... There is no graphic showing the battery (and therefore the charge limit slider) on the Charging page. If others have the same problem, this seems to be an error, and we can perhaps expect it to be fixed, so it is good to know that it was apparently not removed on purpose, although the lack of testing might give one pause...

Thanks for the short answer! Problem is, on my 2015 model S 90D with AP1 and MCU2 the (portrait) screen seems not to be wide enough (or something) ... There is no graphic showing the battery (and therefore the charge limit slider) on the Charging page. If others have the same problem, this seems to be an error, and we can perhaps expect it to be fixed, so it is good to know that it was apparently not removed on purpose, although the lack of testing might give one pause...

Turns out to be a bug in some older S & X cars where battery charge and amp limits are not displayed. You should still be able to make changes through the app.

JCDE:

I am experiencing the same issue with my 2015 model S 90D also with AP1 and MCU2 immediately following my receipt of 2021. 44. 25.2 . There is no battery graphic nor charge limit slider. I am only able to change the charge limit via the my cell phone application. The Tesla support representative, whom I spoke with, was also surprised by this and the suggested (scroll wheel) reboot or turning the car off and back on, did not remedy the problem. Please see below. Secondarily, (albeit a lower priority) I noted that the new update resulted in only being able to view a 1/2 screen web browser at the lower half of the screen. Previously I was able to view this in full screen (portrait) mode.

-TRED

Attachments

• IMG_2278.JPEG.jpeg
    IMG_2278.JPEG.jpeg
    341.9 KB · Views: 72
JCDE:

I am experiencing the same issue with my 2015 model S 90D also with AP1 and MCU2 immediately following my receipt of 2021. 44. 25.2 . There is no battery graphic nor charge limit slider. I am only able to change the charge limit via the my cell phone application. The Tesla support representative, whom I spoke with, was also surprised by this and the suggested (scroll wheel) reboot or turning the car off and back on, did not remedy the problem. Please see below. Secondarily, (albeit a lower priority) I noted that the new update resulted in only being able to view a 1/2 screen web browser at the lower half of the screen. Previously I was able to view this in full screen (portrait) mode.

-TRED
My 2015 MS 85D has same issue. I can't adjust charge limit and I don't see battery graphics. I have to rely on app on phone.

So what do you call this when it's not shooting yourself in the foot? It's shooting your customers in the foot.

I scanned through the thread, but I didn't see it yet. Did someone narrow down what software version it was where Tesla screwed this up?

To all concerned:
I received a call from Tesla notifying me that it was a firmware issue and that a new one would be pushed to me. The next day I received 2021.44.30.6 and the problem was corrected. I am now able to change my battery charge limit percentage via the app and in the car on the center user interface. See below that the charge limit slider is small as compared to the previous variant but it does work. I hope this post is of assistance. -TRED
D6AA4BC8-E6E0-4448-BC17-7CED5B1EB2C2.jpeg

Reactions: Big Earl
It only happed once. The problem I have now is that I can't set an 80% charge limit. Maybe it is caused by the battery charge level of 96%? I guess I need to wait till the battery level drops down to below 80%.
no you should be able to set it to any level, including below the current battery level. You do know you don’t have to tap the old “Set Limit” button any more (which of course is not there)?

To all concerned:
I received a call from Tesla notifying me that it was a firmware issue and that a new one would be pushed to me. The next day I received 2021.44.30.6 and the problem was corrected. I am now able to change my battery charge limit percentage via the app and in the car on the center user interface. See below that the charge limit slider is small as compared to the previous variant but it does work. I hope this post is of assistance. -TREDView attachment 755401
That thing is puny and there's plenty of room at the bottom for a much bigger representation of the battery with a more usable slider.

Reactions: Rocky_H