Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update to 36.6, car has lost profiles and is "lost"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just updated to 36.6 last night. I noticed the car took way longer than normal to reboot. Now, all of my profiles are gone, my settings are all back to default, my trip odometers (including one that had been tracking since the car was new, and one that I reset every Monday) are zeroed out, the car name is missing, and the navigation system shows me at Tesla site in San Francisco. Anybody else have similar issues? I haven't taken the car for a drive yet, wondering if that is going to fix the navigation error. But guessing I'm starting over with profiles and trip odometers. :mad:

Keith

I had something similar happen to me several years ago when I had my 2018 M3. When outside temps dropped and tire pressure dropped enough to inidate low pressure (even though they weren't low); after rebooting the profiles, navigation history, etc. were gone. I don't recall if trip odometer listings reset or not. Plus the vehicle map showed it back to its birthplace in Fremont. I contacted Tesla support and they said it was a known issue with that software version (many many updates ago) and to drive the car for a mile or so to reset the GPS location. That did the trick for the car location. I had to add back profiles, favorite nav places, etc.

Interesting you say this......yesterday driving home from work, I got a low tire pressure warning. With the weather change, my tire pressures had dropped to 40 psi, which triggered an alert. I checked the pressures manually when I got home, and they were right at 40, which is lower than I normally keep them. I wonder if that's what set the system off, not the software update.....

I did go for a short drive (and pumped up the tires to 45 psi), and the navigation system has reset itself. But everything else is still AWOL. Biggest annoyance will be setting up the Homelink, that always seems to be a chore.

The other coincidence....my warranty expires tomorrow. Go figure. :cool:

Just updated to 36.6 last night. I noticed the car took way longer than normal to reboot. Now, all of my profiles are gone, my settings are all back to default, my trip odometers (including one that had been tracking since the car was new, and one that I reset every Monday) are zeroed out, the car name is missing, and the navigation system shows me at Tesla site in San Francisco. Anybody else have similar issues? I haven't taken the car for a drive yet, wondering if that is going to fix the navigation error. But guessing I'm starting over with profiles and trip odometers. :mad:

Keith
I had the same issue a couple days ago when mine updated. All settings lost. Driver profiles and Homelink programs gone too. They should add the ability to back up all settings on a hard drive.

Hey Keith,

Did you ever get a resolution on this? My car did something similar tonight. The car reset everything after scroll wheel reboot, but my app is showing my profile information (car name, trips, charging, etc)

This exact same thing happened to me from a big update last year. I was so pissed because I lost my lifetime kWh and had to manually set everything back in which took me around 45 minutes. This is one thing to hate about a software based vehicle! It really just needs to work and if not then don't sell them until it's bullet proof.

Just had the same issue. Showed me in Fremont (I'm in South Australia), and every single setting is back to default. My app still shows the cars name, but everything else is gone. I logged a service call, but has anyone had luck with getting the info back? I don't deal well with change, and this has rattled me quite a bit.

Luke - shot in the dark here - but for some reason it worked for me.

Do you by chance have a key fob and have it linked to the same cloud profile? I resolved my issue by using my key fob, once I entered the car the cloud profile showed back up and my setting were back.