Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update to Supercharging Program

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SC's are for road trips away from home and are being clogged in some areas by daily chargers. When I take a road trip, it is often 2-3k miles so the roughly 1k of charging credit does little for me. In my opinion, Tesla should have restricted supercharging within say 100-150 miles from home and left supercharging outside that radius built into the price of the car for road trips as intended. Our model S is one of the best cars I have ever had. Yet coming up on one year of ownership I am getting tired of it. When I turn it in the next couple of years, this new charge for supercharging will surly be in the negative column when I consider Tesla for my next car. Tesla missed the boat on this one.

Reactions: Casavant
This is not a dealbreaker for me at all. 400 kWh free every year and everything after that is still cheaper than gas. Considering how big the Supercharger network is and how fast it charges a car, it still seems like a really good deal to me.

SC's are for road trips away from home and are being clogged in some areas by daily chargers. When I take a road trip, it is often 2-3k miles so the roughly 1k of charging credit does little for me. In my opinion, Tesla should have restricted supercharging within say 100-150 miles from home and left supercharging outside that radius built into the price of the car for road trips as intended. Our model S is one of the best cars I have ever had. Yet coming up on one year of ownership I am getting tired of it. When I turn it in the next couple of years, this new charge for supercharging will surly be in the negative column when I consider Tesla for my next car. Tesla missed the boat on this one.
If your primary reason for owning a Tesla is the free supercharging, I think you're missing the point of the whole EV thing. And what other car might you be considering that includes paying for any road trips?

I do like the original vision of travel anywhere for zero cost.

In reality it is not zero, with wear and tear on the tires, battery, and the rest of the vehicle, but it felt that way.

However what really counts is to have an available, reliable, and fast charger waiting for you the moment you arrive. Only Tesla offers this so far, and partially offsetting their costs with a fee will help insure the superchargers will be available and in good working order when we arrive. It also will enable more locations.

So in the end I think it is a positive change for Tesla and EVs in general.

GSP

Reactions: TexasEV
Tesla should have restricted supercharging within say 100-150 miles from home and left supercharging outside that radius built into the price of the car for road trips as intended.

An issue with this would be one of my normal 80 mile trip south, then back north, then back south and back home. Restricting supercharging would make that impossible.

An issue with this would be one of my normal 80 mile trip south, then back north, then back south and back home. Restricting supercharging would make that impossible.

You do this in one day? Out of curiosity, what is it you do that has this kind of pattern? It sounds like those limo drivers that do the LA to Las Vegas trip every day back and forth that you see at the chargers.

Making you pay $10 for the trip you mentioned - I agree that puts you in an impossible situation. If only Tesla had instituted that charge for local supercharging policy, you would be reduced to two options : not do the trip all. Or sell your Tesla and do the trip in a BMW