TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Update to the Supercharger network policies

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by Bluechip, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Bluechip

Bluechip Member

2. Model S M.D.

Model S M.D. Ludicrous Radiologist

Tesla officially announces end of free Supercharging, new ‘Supercharging credit program’ starts in 2017

Ensuring Use for Long-Distance Travel For Teslas ordered after January 1, 2017, 400 kWh of free Supercharging credits (roughly 1,000 miles) will be included annually so that all owners can continue to enjoy free Supercharging during travel. Beyond that, there will be a small fee to Supercharge which will be charged incrementally and cost less than the price of filling up a comparable gas car. All cars will continue to come standard with the onboard hardware required for Supercharging.

• Informative x 4
    • Like x 1
  3. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

Interesting. So... this starts on January 1st 2017. This is intended to be a driver for Q4 sales.

Just to put it out there - I think that that means that we can expect a fairly significant update in the S/X come January - the 100D, maybe an updated interior & MCU.

4. hingisfan

hingisfan hingisfan_Mark_V

An Update to Our Supercharging Program

For Teslas ordered after January 1, 2017, 400 kWh of free Supercharging credits (roughly 1,000 miles) will be included annually so that all owners can continue to enjoy free Supercharging during travel.

Looks like this will be Model 3 structure for sure, as he says, "all teslas". . . Nice to get the 400kwh annually, For ppl that don't travel much. I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't an unlimited option anymore, as this will be a long term revenue stream for Tesla .

5. ModelNforNerd

ModelNforNerd Active Member

I hope "annually" goes by the date you took delivery, to help stagger it.

Otherwise, Superchargers will be an excrement exhibition during the last few weeks of every year.

• Like x 6
  6. Booga

Booga Member

That's a good amount - they could have provided a lump sum up front and not bothered with ongoing credits every year, but I'm happy with it.

7. AssortedBread

AssortedBread Member

Just so people don't get confused like I do, everyone continues to get unlimited miles of supercharging. Only those who order after Jan 1st get 400kWh. So no retroactive changes. Meaning Elon did not break his promise on this one.

8. omarti

omarti Member

1000 miles would provide a fair amount of travel for vacations and weekend getaways. The Mrs. and I are looking forward to gas free/ cost free trips when we get the Model 3. It puts a little bit of a damper on things but as long as it's relatively cost effective still I don't foresee it being a problem if we go over the allotted amount. I will certainly be charging at home as Superchargers where they are relative my location would be out of the way anyhow.

9. mtavel

mtavel Member

I guess we knew it wouldn't be free forever. Especially with people abusing it for local charging.

10. diamond.g

diamond.g Member

Someone should tweet Elon and see if the electricity rolls over when not used...

11. dsvick

dsvick Active Member

I like it. 400kWh should cover me nicely every year. Even though they don't specifically say there won't be an option for the free for life, I wont have to worry about considering it if they do offer it.

12. bro1999

bro1999 Member

1. Eliminate the future problem of local SC abuse and curb future SC operation costs? Check.
    2. Ensure the wads of Model 3 owners don't overwhelm the SC network? Check
    3. Provide a great incentive to push sales/inventory units out the door prior to end of year to meet sales objectives? Check!

3 birds with 1 stone. Good job, Elon. And one of them was an albatross.

• Like x 9
    • Funny x 1
  13. ModelNforNerd

ModelNforNerd Active Member

I think this is the death knell of "free for life", hence the 1/1/2017 cutoff date.

• Like x 1
  14. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Active Member

This is a nice way to roll this out. There is still time to make a MS or MX purchase and keep unlimited charging.

Tesla - Thanks for giving some time to those who are contemplating a purchase.

15. NewJerseyMS

NewJerseyMS Member

This is good news

16. number12

number12 Active Member

Hopefully all this together with credit expiring will help AP 1.0 cars by not depreciating by 75%

• Like x 1
  17. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

This seems well executed. I like it.

18. bro1999

bro1999 Member

How many Model 3 reservation holders just took another look at the Bolt upon hearing this news? o_O

• Funny x 2
  19. NewJerseyMS

NewJerseyMS Member

The depreciation really only matters if you sell it. I'm holding mine so don't care. It will have fully depreciated by the time I consider selling.

20. hingisfan

hingisfan hingisfan_Mark_V

Yes, its a good compromise I think, and combats local SC abuse. Hopefully they build out the network even faster now.
    Leaves me in a weird spot as a classic owner with no AP, planning to get a 3 with AP. . . . Do I take the free supercharger S on this trip , or the autopilot m3 that will cost me to charge? Hmmm