Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update to the Supercharger network policies

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1000 miles would provide a fair amount of travel for vacations and weekend getaways.
I think that depends on where you live and how far your average trip is. 1000 miles for me is one trip to visit relatives. Fortunately I already have a car scheduled for delivery in 2016, so I guess that will be my road trip vehicle for the foreseeable future.

I think that depends on where you live and how far your average trip is. 1000 miles for me is one trip to visit relatives. Fortunately I already have a car scheduled for delivery in 2016, so I guess that will be my road trip vehicle for the foreseeable future.

I'm in the same boat. My one "free trip" each year will be from MA to VA(to the in-laws') and back.

It will be interesting to see what the rates end up being, and whether or not they build in some penalties for peak time, etc.

I'm assuming the option to add Supercharging credits to our MyTesla page is where they're going with this...but even that may end up being a slight PITA at peak times if you get a bunch of people who have to log in and add credits to their account.

I think they'd be better off with a billing model similar to EZPass/toll roads, with an auto-replenish feature.

Reactions: David29
I think this is a really good compromise. For those that only make a few road trips a year, it's basically free.
It says "Current owners". I wonder if that means "Current Model S/X cars". Meaning, you could re-sell a 2016 S/X and it would still have free supercharging for life. That would keep older Model S/X cars still in good demand for high-Supercharger use drivers.

I will bet that the "free for life" for current owners of "legacy:" cars will not transfer when sold either.

As I have posted in earlier threads, this is a good move to keep Tesla healthy and prevent abuse of the system.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I just read the post,

I call the headquarter, and was told that current owner is not affect by the change!... Phew we are still free ( forever?)

I ask them is the (forever; for prior owner ever going to be taken away, because we all bought into a Tesla because of "free charger forever". Elon has said that over and over

"That is not correct, that is something our legal team can answer, I can't say anything other then what the website has stated!"

does anyone have a creepy feeling that Tesla will eat their word and we all will get screw! and current owner will someday have to pay like everyone else?

I call the headquarter, and was told that current owner is not affect by the change!... Phew we are still free ( forever?)

I ask them is the (forever; for prior owner ever going to be taken away, because we all bought into a Tesla because of "free charger forever". Elon has said that over and over

"That is not correct, that is something our legal team can answer, I can't say anything other then what the website has stated!"

does anyone have a creepy feeling that Tesla will eat their word and we all will get screw! and current owner will someday have to pay like everyone else?

I would expect that Tesla will keep the free forever for the original owner of pre-2017 cars. However when a owner of a pre-2017 sells the car/trade in the new owner of the car will need to pay for SC access.

Stayed at a hotel a couple of weeks ago in Western Mass, I was a little disappointed in the accommodations but they had a destination charger there. There was in fact a Tesla owner charging their vehicle overnight. That will be something to look for going forward for any overnight stays on trips or when trying to get to your destination.

Maybe it'll be similar to what happened to people who had unlimited cell phone data plans with Verizon, when all the providers were eliminating them in favor of tiered plans, and clung to them like life or death was hanging in the balance. (kept making it harder and harder for people to keep the unlimited plans...until they eventually just cancelled accounts of the highest users).

However when a owner of a pre-2017 sells the car/trade in the new owner of the car will need to pay for SC access.

I had the same thought for CPO cars.

I'm not sure if they can do this for private car sales. At least in the EU it might be difficult legally. So you might be able to sell your old Tesla at a premium by selling directly to the next owner instead of trading it in at the service center / store.