Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update to the Supercharger network policies

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope "annually" goes by the date you took delivery, to help stagger it.

Otherwise, Superchargers will be an excrement exhibition during the last few weeks of every year.

I'm not so sure - I fully plan on charging my car at home unless I'm traveling. The cost savings isn't worth the time or effort to seek out a SC to top off, even if I'm about to lose freebie kWh. If Tesla rolls unused kWh over to the next year, that would eliminate such a situation from happening as well.

Do we think the base price of the car is going to decrease after Jan 1st?

LOL. You should tweet Elon and ask ;)

As a prospective Model 3 owner who never expected any free supercharging, let alone about 1K miles annually, this is great news, and absolutely perfect for my intended use of the car. 90% of my charging will be at home in the garage, and now those few trips across Germany to the relatives will be completely free. Thumbs up to Elon!

Agreed 100%. I wasn't going to option unlimited SC, so this is just a bonus to me. I also doubt I'll even come close to exceeding the 400kWh of SC usage. I almost wish it was retroactive to older models because it would result in serial abusers changing their habits.

Good news for San Mateo and Mountain View...

how do you interpret "These changes will not impact current owners or any new Teslas ordered before January 1, 2017, as long as delivery is taken before April 1, 2017."?

My read is that the "unlimited" feature would not be transferable? ie if one were to purchase a CPO car after Jan 1 2017 even if the car was first sold before Jan 1 2017?

Do you know this for sure? Do you have a source link anywhere? Just by the announcement today i dont think we can be 100% for sure
No source, but I'm absolutely sure because it wouldn't make sense any other way.

The way you are suggesting you'd have to pay in order to pay for credits...?? That creates a barrier to the payment model. It wouldn't be a sound business practice.
My car comes with a gas tank but I don't have to pay an additional fee to enable me the ability to purchase gas. There's no way on Earth Tesla would implement such a thing.

Why wouldn't they continue to offer free supercharging to buyers of the Model S/X?

IMHO Tesla is setting themselves up for problems in the future for not differentiating between the Model 3 and their higher end models. To be blunt, the Model 3 is a Toyota and the other models are Lexus. The Model S/X is 2-3X what a Model 3 costs so you should be getting the white glove treatment for both supercharger and for service.

• Disagree
Reactions: Topher
No source, but I'm absolutely sure because it wouldn't make sense any other way.

The way you are suggesting you'd have to pay in order to pay for credits...?? That creates a barrier to the payment model. It wouldn't be a sound business practice.
My car comes with a gas tank but I don't have to pay an additional fee to enable me the ability to purchase gas. There's no way on Earth Tesla would implement such a thing.
I see what you are saying, but with that logic then self driving would also be free since all model 3 will come standard with the "hardware" for self driving? or maybe they have yet to come up with a business practice around that just yet

Maybe i am a bit skeptical here but Elon has been known to play with words a bit and any time they reference the "hardware" comes standard i get it bit skeptical

I see what you are saying, but with that logic then self driving would also be free since all model 3 will come standard with the "hardware" for self driving? or maybe they have yet to come up with a business practice around that just yet

Maybe i am a bit skeptical here but Elon has been known to play with words a bit and any time they reference the "hardware" comes standard i get it bit skeptical

You don't have to continuously pay a fee for self driving, so no you can't use the same reasoning.

The wording is very clear, there's still a "fee" but you're paying it incrementally with usage and prices are determined regionally per local laws.

Beyond that, there will be a small fee to Supercharge which will be charged incrementally and cost less than the price of filling up a comparable gas car.
...prices may fluctuate over time and vary regionally based on the cost of electricity, our Supercharger Network will never be a profit center.

I think "enabling Supercharging" from here on out will just mean that you have kWH credits in your account.

So honestly, that should mean every Tesla comes with Supercharging enabled, since you're getting your 1st annual 400kWH allotment when you take delivery.

Reactions: JeffK
I'm not so sure - I fully plan on charging my car at home unless I'm traveling. The cost savings isn't worth the time or effort to seek out a SC to top off, even if I'm about to lose freebie kWh. If Tesla rolls unused kWh over to the next year, that would eliminate such a situation from happening as well.

It would really make sense to make annually mean the date you took delivery.

Otherwise, you're still going to run into problems during the end of year holidays with overcrowding, etc.

You may be able to thin it out a little, or at least monetize some of it, if not every post-2017 Tesla is on a road trip for Christmas using the last of their "free" 400 kWH/yr allotment.

EDIT: totally agree with some portion being rolled over

Reactions: pinski
I think "enabling Supercharging" from here on out will just mean that you have kWH credits in your account.

So honestly, that should mean every Tesla comes with Supercharging enabled, since you're getting your 1st annual 400kWH allotment when you take delivery.
I agree. i am just hung up on the verbiage that they used. I am sure they have dozens of people review these posts prior to releasing them so I am hopeful, but still skeptical i guess.

Anyway, I am a huge fan and i think the move is a good one.

Here is the link to original source code back in Aug.

Please also note the Idle fees were also discovered at the time

Also, 400kWh on a car with <60kWh battery getting 215+ miles = a lot more than 1,000 miles of free charging.

Pictures from the source code.
image-png.192165

image-png.192190

I predicted that the supercharger network was designed for 10% of annual miles (which works out to ~1200-1300 miles a year for your average driver), and this announcement pretty much confirms exactly what I have been saying (400kWh annually works out to ~1300 miles assuming 30kWh/100 miles):
Again, the network is designed for around ~10% of travel on superchargers averaged over all the stations.

It's not a separation based on local stations as I advocated for, but this is the next best thing I suppose. And there will probably be extra fees to discourage those that park their cars at a station (which I presume would apply even if you were grandfathered into the old plan).

This is great. One of the biggest problems for my future Tesla has been charging as I don't have access right now to home or work charging, and I'm not sure if that will change any time soon. It will still take some time, but this at least provides a roadmap to providing those of us who live in urban environments a solution to charging (at least until apartment and condo complexes catch up with Ev charging). I wonder if 2017 will feature more urban environment superchargers being built?