Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update to the Supercharger network policies

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it brings home the point that the SC network is intended for trips and everyday charging should be done at home/work
Actually, I take away the exact opposite sentiment. Now that Tesla is appropriately compensated for marginal use, everyone (2017+) can feel free to use the network however they see fit. And it opens the door to even more urban superchargers to cater to apartment dwellers, livery services, or anyone else.

They can now even sell a chademo adapter (tied to a Tesla account) to allow non-Tesla EVs to charge. While making money doing it. This, perhaps more than anything else Tesla does, will really accelerate the transition to sustainable transportation.

Actually, I take away the exact opposite sentiment. Now that Tesla is appropriately compensated for marginal use, everyone (2017+) can feel free to use the network however they see fit. And it opens the door to even more urban superchargers to cater to apartment dwellers, livery services, or anyone else.

They can now even sell a chademo adapter (tied to a Tesla account) to allow non-Tesla EVs to charge. While making money doing it. This, perhaps more than anything else Tesla does, will really accelerate the transition to sustainable transportation.

There would be a lot of code involved to get a non-Tesla to charge, even with an adapter.

I wouldn't hold my breath if I was waiting to see other BEV's pulling in to Superchargers anytime soon.

but the added revenue from those who will go over the 400 kWH allotment will hopefully translate into more SC coverage, as well as additional stalls, where needed.

I am using an analogy to segment Tesla's automotive products into the mass market, which the Model 3 will be, and the upper end luxury market which the Model S/X fall into. My former cars were Lexus and Toyota/Lexus offers a higher level of service to Lexus owners compared to Toyota owners, even when that was done out of the same location. I would expect the same from Tesla. I paid $150k for my Model S so I expect more perquisites better service than what is given to folks who buy at $45k Model 3. By service I mean Supercharger access, service centre access, etc.

Why would this be affected by what Tesla does with its superchargers? Hotels, etc. install HPWCs (donated by Tesla) to attract Tesla-driving customers. Apples and oranges.

Sorry, to clarify, I was curious if demand for the Destination chargers would increase as they are still free. With increased demand, will these businesses decide they want to charge a fee for access in the future.

I was kind of expecting this, and think it is sane and reasonable. The free yearly allocation they mention is still very generous in my opinion, and so far sounds like it won't change policy for current owners.

I'm actually a little conflicted though. I could take serious advantage of this. I already have an S, and I supercharge about 50 kWh every week for business travel. I'd use up a 400 kWh allocation in 2 months, which means I'll be getting about 10 months or 2000 kWh of free juice every year that a future owner would not be eligible for. The problem is, I'm not sure I want to do this. I have no problem with paying for my usage, and I'm partially in this game specifically to support Tesla, which filling up on their dime does not do. Should I trade up in the future for the purpose of not taking advantage of this situation? I suppose I could just reinvest money that I would have spent on electricity on more Tesla stock.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dwdnjck
That seems like a pretty entitled attitude. You can expect more CAR for $150k than $45k car because you bought a bigger, more high tech bleeding edge. It's the same brand, so why would you expect different service. Who cares if Lexus offers better service than Toyota, they're different companies as far as most car-buyers are concerned - just like VW/Audi/Bentley.

We're getting off topic though.

If certain people are so high-valued and need their own SuperCharger station, they can go ask Tesla for one. If they can spend 1/2 house worth on a car and they can't afford/stand Model 3 users using their precious Tesla SC stations, there are other options for them.

I expect companies to start offering Supercharging credits in promotions. Some Hy-Vee grocery stores in the Midwest are getting Superchargers and already have a discount gas program. It could be easy to transfer those gas discount into credits. The same could go for Credit Card, Airline and Hotel rewards programs.

I hope the "something special" for the people in line is a special wheel, color or badge of some sort and not credits.

Hmmm...that X I've been eying to replace the wife's ICE all the sudden looks better sooner rather than later.
Now this is the kind of rollout that I'm talking about.

Thanks Tesla for letting us know what's going on early enough to make some financial decisions.

Folks, I don't know this for sure, but discussions about something you don't necessarily care about might just have an impact on the future.

I expect companies to start offering Supercharging credits in promotions. Some Hy-Vee grocery stores in the Midwest are getting Superchargers and already have a discount gas program. It could be easy to transfer those gas discount into credits. The same could go for Credit Card, Airline and Hotel rewards programs.

I hope the "something special" for the people in line is a special wheel, color or badge of some sort and not credits.
That's a really cool idea... beats points for gas

Fantastic idea. I love it.

Again, I can't figure out how the Tesla Fleet service is going to be affordable for riders if Tesla's KHW SC cost is too high.

Really? $55 is generous? That's like an ICE dealer giving you *maybe* one free oil change when you buy the car.

The 400 kWh is annual. So a $55 oil change every year, I guess.

I would also easily blow through that amount in travel every year. I probably do 2-3,000 miles of trips per year which will only increase due to how much I enjoy the Tesla. Still, my reaction is that if they do, indeed, use the $ generated to expand the network so that I have a few options for stops on a trip and I won't be waiting to charge like in some places in California, then I'm all for it.

...and I won't trade up my grandfathered P85+ for a while!!

Reactions: MP3Mike
I am using an analogy to segment Tesla's automotive products into the mass market, which the Model 3 will be, and the upper end luxury market which the Model S/X fall into. My former cars were Lexus and Toyota/Lexus offers a higher level of service to Lexus owners compared to Toyota owners, even when that was done out of the same location. I would expect the same from Tesla. I paid $150k for my Model S so I expect more perquisites better service than what is given to folks who buy at $45k Model 3. By service I mean Supercharger access, service centre access, etc.

Well, driving a Bentley doesn't give you preferential access to the gas pumps at your typical highway gas station. But, I suppose you can pay extra for "full service".

Once Tesla starts charging $ for charge, it becomes possible for private operators to open competing supercharge stations. Maybe some of them will hold a few plugs open strictly for "big cheeze VIP" clientele, at a higher charging cost.

And maybe for an even higher price they will give you the right to unplug the prole of your choice and send them to the back of the line.

Ok, so, since the beginning , it has been always declared, that unlimited free supercharging is included in the price.

Now that it is not, I can't imagine how the price could stay the same. Or am I missing something?