Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update to the Supercharger network policies

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla officially announces end of free Supercharging, new ‘Supercharging credit program’ starts in 2017

Ensuring Use for Long-Distance Travel For Teslas ordered after January 1, 2017, 400 kWh of free Supercharging credits (roughly 1,000 miles) will be included annually so that all owners can continue to enjoy free Supercharging during travel. Beyond that, there will be a small fee to Supercharge which will be charged incrementally and cost less than the price of filling up a comparable gas car. All cars will continue to come standard with the onboard hardware required for Supercharging.

An Update to Our Supercharging Program

For Teslas ordered after January 1, 2017, 400 kWh of free Supercharging credits (roughly 1,000 miles) will be included annually so that all owners can continue to enjoy free Supercharging during travel.

Looks like this will be Model 3 structure for sure, as he says, "all teslas". . . Nice to get the 400kwh annually, For ppl that don't travel much. I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't an unlimited option anymore, as this will be a long term revenue stream for Tesla .

Tesla officially announces end of free Supercharging, new ‘Supercharging credit program’ starts in 2017

Ensuring Use for Long-Distance Travel For Teslas ordered after January 1, 2017, 400 kWh of free Supercharging credits (roughly 1,000 miles) will be included annually so that all owners can continue to enjoy free Supercharging during travel. Beyond that, there will be a small fee to Supercharge which will be charged incrementally and cost less than the price of filling up a comparable gas car. All cars will continue to come standard with the onboard hardware required for Supercharging.

I hope "annually" goes by the date you took delivery, to help stagger it.

Otherwise, Superchargers will be an excrement exhibition during the last few weeks of every year.

1000 miles would provide a fair amount of travel for vacations and weekend getaways. The Mrs. and I are looking forward to gas free/ cost free trips when we get the Model 3. It puts a little bit of a damper on things but as long as it's relatively cost effective still I don't foresee it being a problem if we go over the allotted amount. I will certainly be charging at home as Superchargers where they are relative my location would be out of the way anyhow.

1. Eliminate the future problem of local SC abuse and curb future SC operation costs? Check.
2. Ensure the wads of Model 3 owners don't overwhelm the SC network? Check
3. Provide a great incentive to push sales/inventory units out the door prior to end of year to meet sales objectives? Check!

3 birds with 1 stone. Good job, Elon. And one of them was an albatross.

Yes, its a good compromise I think, and combats local SC abuse. Hopefully they build out the network even faster now.
Leaves me in a weird spot as a classic owner with no AP, planning to get a 3 with AP. . . . Do I take the free supercharger S on this trip , or the autopilot m3 that will cost me to charge? Hmmm