Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UPDATE: Towing 3500 lbs for 22" wheels and 5000 lbs for 20" wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...On signature cars, is there a price difference between 20 and 22s?...

There is about a $2,000 price difference with Model S when comparing the two sizes of cyclone type wheels. There's no price difference at the present time with Model X Signature.

Back in 2013, the cost of new tires for the 21" wheels was more than buying the 19" wheels with the tires. The tires for the smaller wheel size last longer as well.

The larger wheels are easier to scrape, so the cost to repair them should be considered. Paying $10,000 for Ludicrous Speed and getting the 22" wheels to enjoy it 100% is the same as wanting to pull a large trailer and having to get 20" wheels. Once the fun of maximum Ludicrous Speed is over and the tires are worn, the 20" wheels can be mounted and stay on the Model X.

Last edited:
Part of me thinks we're nuts for getting the 20"s when the 22"s are the same price. The thing is that I would probably end up going to the 20"s anyway so it doesn't make sense not to start with them. I just really prefer the look of the 22"s.

I've got 5 days to change my mind.

Part of me thinks we're nuts for getting the 20"s when the 22"s are the same price. The thing is that I would probably end up going to the 20"s anyway so it doesn't make sense not to start with them. I just really prefer the look of the 22"s.

I've got 5 days to change my mind.

If they would fit on the S, I could totally see some people buying them from you. On the X, right now the only people you could sell them to are others who could also get a "free upgrade".

If they would fit on the S, I could totally see some people buying them from you. On the X, right now the only people you could sell them to are others who could also get a "free upgrade".

That's true. I hadn't thought about selling to someone with an S.

Frankly though, I really don't know if it's worth the hassle if I KNOW I'm going to sell them. This is going to be the wife's car and she just wants all season tires.

None of this would be any problem if Tesla Motors priced the wheels so a credit is given if the 20" wheels are selected. It's almost as if someone was saying, "We really want you to get your money's worth, so go for the 22" wheels and don't pull a big trailer or drive in the snow."

Bottom line, select what you need. While you might lose wheel value selecting the 20", you will gain tire life and less wheel rash. The smaller wheel is more comfortable and usually quieter.

For those interested in maximum speed and handling with more road noise and roughness, the 22" wheel is for performance in non-snowy areas.

This may be a stupid question but I'll ask anyway... Do we know that the only difference between towing 3500 and 5000 pounds is the wheels, such that switching wheels from 22 to 20 is all that's required to up the towing capacity? Or is there something else that's done in the configuration of the car at the factory to alter the towing capacity?

This may be a stupid question but I'll ask anyway... Do we know that the only difference between towing 3500 and 5000 pounds is the wheels, such that switching wheels from 22 to 20 is all that's required to up the towing capacity? Or is there something else that's done in the configuration of the car at the factory to alter the towing capacity?
When switching between 21" and 19" wheels at the Service Center, the technician changes the software settings to show the 19" wheels on the dashboard. Who knows what that does to the software on how the Model S handles. I bring the subject up since it may be a good idea to have Tesla Motors make that change when drivers are switching from summer 22" to winter 20" wheels.

Another suggestion is to take a photo of a tire pressure label on a Model S or X for the identical wheel and tire you are changing to. Even if I know that my 19" wheels take 45 lbs, the service techs occasionally read my old 21" label and fill the tires to 42 lbs. That is one issue when choosing your initial wheel size and then changing to another wheel size later.