Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update trajectory?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New owner. With all the various software versions out there, I’m a little confused as to how the update cycles work. I’m on 44.30 and have been watching lots of updates to 44.30.5 and 44.25.3 on teslafi.

Why would they update so many people to 25.3 when 25.5 is available? Seems odd when compared to everything I’ve ever seen for phone or computer upgrades.

Do they ever upgrade non-FSD cars to a version that contains FSD? E.g. my case where I’m on 44.30, which doesn’t contain the FSD code according to teslafi, would I be updated to 44.30.5, which looks to be the same branch, but does have FSD? Or am I just waiting for the next higher version without FSD?

Seems odd when compared to everything I’ve ever seen for phone or computer upgrades
Tesla has multiple update paths depending on vehicle hardware and purchase configurations. Maybe similar to how Windows 7 can upgrade to Windows 10 or 11 then each of those can have their own relevant versions (not actually numbered but conceptually) 7.1, 7.2 vs 10.1, 10.2 vs 11.1, 11.2.

Tesla can split people to different versions but also combine them later. This is most obvious for factory software that are numbered differently and have functionality specific to new hardware from the production line but eventually gets the regular updates.

The FSD Beta specific updates so far have been separate and only eligible for those who purchased FSD Capability, but it might become available to a wider audience when it provides functionality to those with basic Autopilot.