Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update versioning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,
I have a M3P with full self drive living in Virginia. I recently went a month or so without an update to the car which is no big deal but today I got the notice that new SW was available. When I updated the car, I found it had loaded 2021.4.21.3 which is weird because most people are getting the latest version (2021.12.25.7). When your number is pulled for an update, why would they push an older version? Plenty of people with my config in my area are getting a newer version.
Any thoughts?

don't worry too much about being on the "latest" version. Very often the highest number is not the most up to date code.
For example - all the FSD beta testers are running 2021.4.18.13
Earlier some folks were "stuck" on 2021.4.15 versions that actually had the first of the vision code - my car had that and it was a step backwards when it was "upgraded"
4.21.3 probably means that you have a radar car
it will all get sorted out - in the end, seeing a very active release map like this shows that there is a huge amount of active development going on, which is much better than nothing happening.

It's always been the case that certain versions only apply to specific vehicle configurations. When you get an update, it's the latest available for your configuration, not necessarily the latest version out there.
I don’t think this is right. There are hundreds of cars in my region with the same co figuration (according to teslafi) which got a newer version today. Doesn’t really change my life just find the strategy to be weird.

I don’t think this is right. There are hundreds of cars in my region with the same co figuration (according to teslafi) which got a newer version today. Doesn’t really change my life just find the strategy to be weird.
@EVRider-FL is correct, there are many things that TeslaFi doesn't check against that will be used to figure out what version you get. It may look like the same car, but it isn't.
Its been assumed that the Model 3 with 4.21.3 all have radar, but Tesla make on the fly changes during production, they change suppliers etc etc, especially during this component shortage.
That creates a new software version thats distributed to make sure is really works before being merged into the main branch of the code - hence we are into 2021.week.branch.version.subversion
Thats one of the many reasons for the myriad of versions with only a small number of cars out there.

Because tesla updates certain builds in certain groups, based on whatever they are testing internally. There will be times when you will not even get a specific update or other.
I ask question: For what I paid $10000? For Autopilot and FSD which both not working a month? Yes I agree Tesla testing new software , updated, configured etc. Why I am a customer must sufferings from that? Why Tesla didn't tell me before it's will be not working? Return me money back (for FSD) and add this service when it will be ready for public, but don't charge people for non existent features.

I ask question: For what I paid $10000? For Autopilot and FSD which both not working a month? Yes I agree Tesla testing new software , updated, configured etc. Why I am a customer must sufferings from that? Why Tesla didn't tell me before it's will be not working? Return me money back (for FSD) and add this service when it will be ready for public, but don't charge people for non existent features.
There’s plenty of information in these forums and elsewhere about what FSD can and cannot do. If you did any research before paying $10k for the option, you would have known what you were (and were not) getting. Caveat emptor.

There’s plenty of information in these forums and elsewhere about what FSD can and cannot do. If you did any research before paying $10k for the option, you would have known what you were (and were not) getting. Caveat emptor.
My FSD and Autopilot must work on HWY's -that's what Tesla advisor told me. ( I am not asking them work on CITY streets- that's for future). Problem- FSD and AP not working at all. I can't engage AP or FSD even all my hardware ready for it- it's showing on a screen little yellow triangle ( not available). Agent say this is not updated software and when it's will update he doesn't know- maybe next week, may be next year.

The "i dont like FSD" discussion is not in this thread, or this subforum. There are many (many many) threads discussion FSD in the dedicated subforum for it, which is here:

Hello all,
I have a M3P with full self drive living in Virginia. I recently went a month or so without an update to the car which is no big deal but today I got the notice that new SW was available. When I updated the car, I found it had loaded 2021.4.21.3 which is weird because most people are getting the latest version (2021.12.25.7). When your number is pulled for an update, why would they push an older version? Plenty of people with my config in my area are getting a newer version.
Any thoughts?
If your car is Radar-less (vision-only), you’ll have to wait longer. Looking at TeslaFi, no car with Vision has been updated to the 2021.12.* or 2021.24.* branches. Fingers crossed that they start soon. I know for MYLR vision starts at about VIN 190XXX, but I’m not sure about the M3.
What’s your VIN?