Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've not gotten my update fix in nearly two months. Not since 17.17.4. I can't take it much longer. Where's my silky smooth?

I'm tired of being jerked around on the highway and have my mediocre parking skills challenged every time I back in to a parking spot. And the latest and greatest is always better. Right?o_O

Recently I observed that my WiFi in the garage was reverting to LTE service a short time after leaving the car. Even though the WiFi signal was reasonably strong, I installed an extender IN the garage. Nothing good came from this either.

It turns out that the WiFi antenna in the side view mirror can change TWO bars (curves?) between folded and deployed. It's REALLY directional! I've relocated things (the WiFi antenna...not the car) and now have hope for some update relief soon.

Reactions: pilotSteve
I don't think the updates have anything to do with Wi-Fi strength.

I do think they
- queue cars to be upgraded in some sort of pseudo random order
- Once a car has been queued, it will update when it is near wifi

There are lots of AP2 cars still on 17.17.4. scroll down to the AP2 section, the number hasn't changed in quite some time.

TeslaFi.com Firmware Tracker

Nothing past 17.17.4 has been wide deployed on AP2. There's a small population who got 17.17.17 over wifi. They didn't report any major differences. Everything after that for AP2 has been service center and factory only, except if you got anything 17.22.x or higher, it seems like you'll also get the newer updates pushed.

For everyone else, being on 17.17.x is perfectly normal. No amount of wifi optimization will make a difference.

• Informative
Reactions: sdorn and KyleDay
Nothing past 17.17.4 has been wide deployed on AP2. There's a small population who got 17.17.17 over wifi. They didn't report any major differences. Everything after that for AP2 has been service center and factory only, except if you got anything 17.22.x or higher, it seems like you'll also get the newer updates pushed.

For everyone else, being on 17.17.x is perfectly normal. No amount of wifi optimization will make a difference.

Agreed.

I'm still stuck on 17.17.17 as well since 5/24 (and that was installed by the SC). Wish they would get off their butts and push out some updates.
Agree. There are a LOT of things that they could enable, fix or improve.

Maybe once they get the M3 out, solve the early firmware issues, fix the serious problems, address the quirks, deal with major customer satisfaction issues, and try to tune some of the remaining shortcomings, they'll give some attention to the MS & MX.

With the rash of updates that have come out since 17.17.x, I don't mind waiting. There have been lots of bug reports for all of the latest versions so I am hoping the next update I get will be the one that addresses most of the current major reported bugs.

Recently I observed that my WiFi in the garage was reverting to LTE service a short time after leaving the car. Even though the WiFi signal was reasonably strong, I installed an extender IN the garage. Nothing good came from this either.

I've experienced the same lately. Wifi signal doesn't seem to hold. I tried reboot panel and remove ssid/re add them

Same issue. I got a wifi extender in the garage. Strong signal. A nest camnext to the car working fine

I've experienced the same lately. Wifi signal doesn't seem to hold. I tried reboot panel and remove ssid/re add them

Same issue. I got a wifi extender in the garage. Strong signal. A nest camnext to the car working fine
Try listening to bluetooth audio while you pull in. Mine seems to drop when the wifi signal reverts to 3G/LTE. In fact, my home wifi network seems to be causing the bluetooth/wifi/cellular chip to reboot. Often after I see the wifi disconnect, I'll get the "no signal" icon for a minute or so and bluetooth will say "Initializing..."

I've not gotten my update fix in nearly two months. Not since 17.17.4. I can't take it much longer. Where's my silky smooth?

I'm tired of being jerked around on the highway and have my mediocre parking skills challenged every time I back in to a parking spot. And the latest and greatest is always better. Right?o_O

It turns out that the WiFi antenna in the side view mirror can change TWO bars (curves?) between folded and deployed. It's REALLY directional! I've relocated things (the WiFi antenna...not the car) and now have hope for some update relief soon.

If you sit in your parked car in your garage does it continuously flip between Wi-Fi and LTE? If so you have a completely different problem.

If you sit in your parked car in your garage does it continuously flip between Wi-Fi and LTE? If so you have a completely different problem.

Hmmm mine was more like I had to physically connect, it connected, 10 second, it flip to lte and when I click wifi, it show initializing wifi...after awhile, it'll show the list of ssid to connect. Repeat, same issue

Hmmm mine was more like I had to physically connect, it connected, 10 second, it flip to lte and when I click wifi, it show initializing wifi...after awhile, it'll show the list of ssid to connect. Repeat, same issue

I had the EXACT problem. Even had an engineer at Tesla involved. At some point a firmware update stopped playing nicely on your network if you have any DLNA devices on the same network. These can be PS3 / Dish DVR / Home DLNA storage / etc etc

The only way to fix this is to establishing a guest network and isolate your car to be the only device on it. After I did this my car has been rock solid 54Mbps with no disconnects.

Before it was 100% as you described and would reset the cars WiFi adapter instantly after every connection.

• Informative
Reactions: smilepak