Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UPDATED] 2 die in Tesla crash - NHTSA reports driver seat occupied

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think that someone killed the men, put them in the car, crashed it, set it on fire, and blamed Tesla.
Whoever told the police (an eyewitness) that the driver started the car and jumped in the back seat should be a potential suspect in this murder case.

I'm sure you're probably joking, but the part about someone intentionally crashing the car needs a little explanation. I think that's a challenging thing to do.

Nope. You have to be moving at least 18 mph to engage TACC with no vehicle in front of you.
There was a change in one of the recent releases to lower this to 0 mph (IIRC).

November 2019 Software Updates​

2019.40.1.x.

The 2019.40.1.1 and subsequent updates include the following:

• Autopilot minimum speed limit removed – Autopilot can be used at very low speeds now (below 18 mph) and can be set to a max speed of 0 mph!

This is my first inclination
particularly since the owner of the car wasn't in the crash
Betting he floored it to give his passengers a thrill, lost control and hit the tree. Car went up in flames and he managed to get out
Now is lying to avoid consequences and blame Tesla

All speculation and a tragedy regardless of what happened
Sadly this seems more plausible than anything else I've read thus far in this thread.

Reactions: BrianBigNFun
I'm sure you're probably joking, but the part about someone intentionally crashing the car needs a little explanation. I think that's a challenging thing to do.

Look. If you find a crushed and burned car with two men, none in the driver seat, what should be the first logical thought? Either the driver escaped the car after the crash non-intentionally killing the two men or someone intentionally killed the occupants of the car and set the car on fire. "Investigators", who are clearly unqualified to investigate Tesla crashes based, for one, on their statement that Li-Ion battery had flammable acid, rush to a conclusion that Tesla was driving itself, which is, of course, more convenient than to run a real investigation. Now, when it finally seems to be true that there was no FSD and that the AP is unlikely to be involved, there are VERY few other options left. Basically, the only two other options are: 1) "Investigators" screwed this up completely, and the now-dead driver was in the driver's seat or 2) The guys setup the Tesla TACC, tricked the safety systems intentionally and this is a double suicide (or maybe a murder-suicide). This is highly unlikely as you don't need to get in the back seat for that, other than to manipulate the Tesla stock on the next day and make your widow rich, which I admit is the totally crazy scheme.

Look. If you find a crushed and burned car with two men, none in the driver seat, what should be the first logical thought? Either the driver escaped the car after the crash non-intentionally killing the two men or someone intentionally killed the occupants of the car and set the car on fire. "Investigators", who are clearly unqualified to investigate Tesla crashes based, for one, on their statement that Li-Ion battery had flammable acid, rush to a conclusion that Tesla was driving itself, which is, of course, more convenient than to run a real investigation. Now, when it finally seems to be true that there was no FSD and that the AP is unlikely to be involved, there are VERY few other options left. Basically, the only two other options are: 1) "Investigators" screwed this up completely, and the now-dead driver was in the driver's seat or 2) The guys setup the Tesla TACC, tricked the safety systems intentionally and this is a double suicide (or maybe a murder-suicide). This is highly unlikely as you don't need to get in the back seat for that, other than to manipulate the Tesla stock on the next day and make your widow rich, which I admit is the totally crazy scheme.
And I came up with one more [crazy] version: someone with a recognizable name (Hunter Biden, for example) was driving the car killing the men and then running away, and the cover up is now in progress.

Just to be consistent, there is no data log if the 12V was dead, so if the argument is that they couldn't open doors due to loss of 12V, then we can't assume we'll have a data log.
I think the most initial important question is who drove the car: The automation system or a human driver?

There was still 12V battery from the driveway when husbands told their wives that they would go for a test drive and the 12V would still be alive all the way during the test drive until it hit the tree and the front of the car was damaged and maybe the 12V would be scattered on the ground after the impact.

While the 12V was still alive, it would record the weights of the seats to spell out whether there were 2 occupants or 3 occupants and which seats.

There's no need to verify after the 12V is dead whether there were 2 or 3 occupants.

About whether the car logs could report on the door status after the crash, it depends whether the 12V was still alive or not. If there's no 12V then the data logs would stop at that time.

....So it's possible that the driver floored the accelerator to manually achieve his desired speed then moved away from the driver seat to a passenger seat. Non-Raven Tesla would have enough gliding power to hit a tree and burst into flames.

------------------

More detail of car logs would solve the puzzle.

So many "facts" coming out in various "news" sources. Let's guess here since this was a "test drive" per the two wives (hadn't heard this before) and the owner of the car was not in the car (maybe selling it?), it would not be uncommon for a new driver unaccustom to the instant power of an EV to get surprised by the forward power and then certainly it would not be unheard of for a new driver to depress the accellerator pedal instead of the brake pedal in that split second (seems like the unintended accelleration crashes we hear about are from fairly new drivers).

I read a comment from one of the investigating people on the scene (not sure what department) they said they didn't think anyone could climb from the driver's seat to the back. If this was the 59 year old, maybe more likely. Especially assuming you found yourself alive in a car that just head on crashed into a tree and saw smoke starting to come up, I think you'd do everything you could to move and escape further from the front of the car. That flight instinct can push the adrenaline. Also possible the front passenger was either unconcious from the car hitting the tree and unable to move himself or had passed away already.

I don't believe the batteries will immediately burst into flames from the thermal runaway, that it takes a number of minutes or so. That was the situation when the Model X driver in Mt. View, Calif. hit the attenuation barrier head on at 60+ mph. There were witnesses who were able to pull him out of the vehicle before the batteries started popping and catching fire. So based on that accident I think it's possible a driver in this case could either exit the vehicle if the driver's door was openable or could climb to the rear to try to exit that way. Is there any statistical data on how soon the batteries would catch fire in an impact like this?

I will be anticipating hearing down the road what really happened.

Last edited:
Reactions: XPsionic
Most plausible speculation I've seen so far.

1618879408420.png

These descriptions are close to exactly what I believe happened.

1. Owner + passenger go for test drive.
2. Owner hammers it at the end of the street to show acceleration.
3. At curve, car understeers and starts to drift right.
4. Driver possibly tweaks wheel to the right to avoid parked car (see post #194)
5. On the grass, car's left wheels hit and run over large manhole at high speed (see post #194). This may result in enough damage to the left side of the car to jam left-hand side doors.
6. Car crashes into trees, but impact is not enough to intrude much into passenger compartment (see post #86). Airbags likely deployed and protected the driver and passenger.
7. Fire begins, prompting driver and passenger to exit.
8. Due to 12V failure due to crash or physical jam condition, doors cannot be opened with electronic push buttons. Driver is owner, possibly knows and/or tries mechanical door release but with door jammed, can't get out. Passenger likely has no idea about mechanical door release.
9. Driver climbs to back to try to exit rear doors, again cannot open door either due to 12V failure, jam, or unable to access (or no knowledge of) rear door mechanical releases.
10. Driver and passenger become unconscious due to smoke inhalation.
11. Fire consumes car. Removes evidence of airbag deployment and seat belt use, leading to incorrect conclusions by first responders.

Autopilot / FSD / TACC had nothing to do with this accident.

One more tidbit: Why does driver's rear tire not burn? Because it's the closest part of the car to the firefighters (nearest to the hydrant, the fire truck's parking place, and the access path that the firefighters would have taken), thus it's getting the most water sprayed on it or near it. This is also further evidence that the fire developed a lot slower than the media is reporting. The tire survived from time of impact to the time that the firefighters got water onto the car, that's several minutes.

Yes, this is all pure speculation on my part. But I believe it to be the most likely and plausible scenario that fits the facts.

Except as I understand it the owner was not in the car. Probably let the two guys take it out for a drive (wives apparently stated they were on a test drive from what I read). So two guys in an EV that they weren't familiar with would be my guess and likely would alter your theory.

In any event my heart goes out to those wives standing back where the guys departed from, waiting for them to come back. I can't imagine my husband going on a test drive in a nice suburban gated neighborhood late at night and ending up dead like they did. Reports say it happened at 11:25pm so presumably quiet night with no traffic on the cul de sac road.

Reactions: XPsionic
Except as I understand it the owner was not in the car.
Can we atleast settle this ? Was the owner one of the dead or not ?

From the first post report ...

KPRC 2 reporter Deven Clarke spoke to one man’s brother-in-law who said he was taking the car out for a spin with his best friend, so there were just two in the vehicle.

The owner, he said, backed out of the driveway, and then may have hopped in the back seat only to crash a few hundred yards down the road. He said the owner was found in the back seat upright.

"Investigators", who are clearly unqualified to investigate Tesla crashes based, for one, on their statement that Li-Ion battery had flammable acid,
Despite your quoted "Investigators" calling it "acid" rather than electrolyte, this is what BatteryUniversity says about Li-Ion batteries:

A failing Li-ion begins to hiss, bulge and leak electrolyte. The electrolyte consists of lithium salt in an organic solvent (lithium hexafluorophosphate) and is highly flammable. Burning electrolyte can ignite combustible material in close proximity.

Doesn’t Model S have mechanical front doors from the inside? Like any other car in the market, they are subject to jamming in an accident but they are not super complicated electronic devices.

The external handles require electricity to operate. But is that any different from other cars that render the outside door handle inoperable by something called a lock.?

I have an S and a 3. Pretty sure the S pulls are strictly mechanical.

Reactions: scottf200
Most plausible speculation I've seen so far.

View attachment 655245

Looking at the burnt out crash photos and video, the front seats were in the upright position. Probably why someone responding to the scene stated that they don't believe given the space with the seats that anyone could have left the drivers seat and crawled in the back seat. I assume the rear seat person did not have a seat belt on. So he either crawled into the back seat if he was the driver or there was a driver who was able to leave the scene and at this point was looking to avoid any punishment by not coming forward.

Reactions: mrElbe and XPsionic
Can we at least settle this ? Was the owner one of the dead or not ?

From the first post report ...
KPRC 2 reporter Deven Clarke spoke to one man’s brother-in-law who said he was taking the car out for a spin with his best friend, so there were just two in the vehicle.

The owner, he said, backed out of the driveway, and then may have hopped in the back seat only to crash a few hundred yards down the road. He said the owner was found in the back seat upright.
Yes, to me this seems like an actual report. I see no reason not to believe this. It's too bad the reporter didn't follow up with "what do you think happened?", or at least didn't put it in the report if he did ask. It should settle the speculation that there were only two people in the car one of which was the driver. As to why the brother-in-law felt the owner "MAY have hopped in the back seat", rather than DID or DID NOT, I guess he didn't personally witness it. As to why the owner would have gone in the back seat, the question was not asked, answered or recorded. Perhaps the brother-in-law doesn't know what the two were doing on the drive.

"They are 100 percent certain that no one was in the driver seat driving that vehicle at the time of impact. They are positive," Herman said.
In my life experience, somebody who is 100% certain is most probably wrong, and most definitely not impartial. Somebody who reports somebody else as 100% certain is probably misinterpreting what they've heard.

In my life experience, somebody who is 100% certain is most probably wrong, and most definitely not impartial. Somebody who reports somebody else as 100% certain is probably misinterpreting what they've heard.
Agree. I hadn't seen this account earlier, and I would question the narrative that it was impossible to get into the back seat.

Also, the article in the first post says the brother in law saw the owner drive off in the front seat, but was found in the back seat. I am now switching to team "tried to escape out the back but didn't make it."

I keep an easily accessible glass breaker in all my cars. Worst case he could have used that to break the pano roof and get out the top.