Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UPDATED] 2 die in Tesla crash - NHTSA reports driver seat occupied

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't figure out if you are saying Tesla shouldn't sell 1000HP cars to anyone that shows up or if they should but it's the driver's fault.
You’re right that all cars can be dangerous with a reckless driver - but to me a plaid model in the hands of a show off is an accident waiting to happen - maybe a plaid driving school ?

Last edited by a moderator:
? Inside Edition absolutely said he was drunk/over the legal limit. But that had nothing to do with the door handles not extending
My understanding is door handles extending (or not) played zero role in the outcome of this accident. The question was if the driver could exit the car, and the driver could: there's a manual release, which in Model S I believe is even on the same mechanism (Model 3 is on a different handle).

this tired old argument again? Car <insert name here> is too powerful to be used on the road. <pearl-clutching furiously>
Where is the test that checks drivers ability compared to the car they drive?
Or must we all drive around in 60hp mundane-obiles because 90hp is much too much for "most" drivers.

Yes, faulty debating tactic, #213, exaggerate the opponent's statement to the point of absurdity.

“The light obtained by setting straw men on fire is not what we mean by illumination.”

— Adam Gopnik

Reactions: sleepydoc
Maybe it's time for door lock Regulation.

VW used to have an ad saying that its doors would automatically be unlocked in a collision.

Trouble is, unlocking a door, is not so dangerous. The problem with the Tesla is opening a door that is not even locked. I'm pretty sure my front doors open by the handle without power. But the rear, gull-wing doors require removing the speaker covers, finding the tiny bobber on the end of a stiff wire and pulling it.

I was in a serious accident once, and I couldn't even unbuckle my seat belt. Yeah, I was trying to find the buckle on my left when it is on the right! Did I mention I was temporarily blinded? My head and bashed the window and I could not think straight. Doors need to be VERY easy to open in an accident. Tesla should know this. They are fashion divas and don't give a damn. They are wearing six-inch heels no matter how rough the ground. The trouble is, we are the ones who deal with the blowback.

• Disagree
Reactions: SO16
Trouble is, unlocking a door, is not so dangerous. The problem with the Tesla is opening a door that is not even locked. I'm pretty sure my front doors open by the handle without power. But the rear, gull-wing doors require removing the speaker covers, finding the tiny bobber on the end of a stiff wire and pulling it.

I was in a serious accident once, and I couldn't even unbuckle my seat belt. Yeah, I was trying to find the buckle on my left when it is on the right! Did I mention I was temporarily blinded? My head and bashed the window and I could not think straight. Doors need to be VERY easy to open in an accident. Tesla should know this. They are fashion divas and don't give a damn. They are wearing six-inch heels no matter how rough the ground. The trouble is, we are the ones who deal with the blowback.

It’s the type of door lock. Not just Tesla.

“Four years ago, the 75-year-old owner of a 2006 Cadillac XLR was trapped inside of his vehicle for 14 hours after its battery died, leaving the electronic door releases inoperable. He could have immediately released himself had he known the location of the manual door release.”

“Other vehicles—including the Audi E-Tron,Chevrolet Corvette, Ford Mustang Mach-E,Lexus NX, and the discontinued Lincoln Continental—also make use of electronic door releases. They also all have some sort of manual release mechanism that may not be immediately apparent.”

But the rear, gull-wing doors require removing the speaker covers, finding the tiny bobber on the end of a stiff wire and pulling it.
Wait until you hear how the Model 3 works on the front and rear doors....
I was in a serious accident once, and I couldn't even unbuckle my seat belt. Yeah, I was trying to find the buckle on my left when it is on the right! Did I mention I was temporarily blinded? My head and bashed the window and I could not think straight. Doors need to be VERY easy to open in an accident.
I love that you give an example where you couldn't operate even the simplest device in the car, so no simple solution would have saved you. And you were fine, because in the end, there was no rush to get out of the car.

Remember, the only situation any of this applies in is when the car is ON FIRE, has lost all electrical power, and is not crushed so much that the doors can still open (remember, fire trucks carry jaws of life because straight mechanical doors get jammed in crashes all the time).

How about we just tell Tesla to make the cars not catch on fire and then how quick you can exit doesn't matter.

It’s the type of door lock. Not just Tesla.

“Four years ago, the 75-year-old owner of a 2006 Cadillac XLR was trapped inside of his vehicle for 14 hours after its battery died, leaving the electronic door releases inoperable. He could have immediately released himself had he known the location of the manual door release.”

“Other vehicles—including the Audi E-Tron,Chevrolet Corvette, Ford Mustang Mach-E,Lexus NX, and the discontinued Lincoln Continental—also make use of electronic door releases. They also all have some sort of manual release mechanism that may not be immediately apparent.”

How is any of that relevant??? What you are really saying, is that Tesla had every reason to know this would be a safety problem, and they chose to ignore that. Didn't your mom ever say to you, "If everyone else jumps off the roof, are you going to do it too?"

Wait until you hear how the Model 3 works on the front and rear doors....

I love that you give an example where you couldn't operate even the simplest device in the car, so no simple solution would have saved you. And you were fine, because in the end, there was no rush to get out of the car.

Remember, the only situation any of this applies in is when the car is ON FIRE, has lost all electrical power, and is not crushed so much that the doors can still open (remember, fire trucks carry jaws of life because straight mechanical doors get jammed in crashes all the time).

How about we just tell Tesla to make the cars not catch on fire and then how quick you can exit doesn't matter.

I knew how to open the damn door! I love how you ignore the point!

Actually, I was in a rush to get out of the car. The vehicle was upside down, and I had no idea if it might catch on fire.

You are never going to have a vehicle that can store that much energy and not have a risk of catching fire. Gas cars are actually much worse than electric vehicles. Even diesel fuel can catch on fire, even if it is harder to ignite.

Your petty exceptions outlining when it is important to escape the car are irrelevant. Situations do exist, so the danger is real. It's not if the car is on fire, it's if it is going to catch on fire. You don't know which case you are in when you are in the car!

My preference would be doors that open with the primary door release even when the car does not have power. I feel like this is something that can be engineered at reasonable cost.

This is probably not something that would be low cost.

Yeah, I think "low cost" is an understatement. Every car sold in the US that I know of growing up, was easy enough to open from the inside, even if the battery fell out of the car! They used to sell entire cars for under $2,000. Not just a door.