TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

"Updated" (auto-merging of posts)

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by brianman, Aug 31, 2012.

1. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Love the new feature.

2. CapitalistOppressor

CapitalistOppressor Active Member

Me too. I'm terrible to posting 6 things in a row responding to different people on a thread. This makes it look cleaner for me :)

3. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

If you create two posts, it get's

- - - Updated - - -

into one post. :smile:

4. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

That was the idea.

5. KBF

KBF Model S 2017

I tried editing an automerged post of mine yesterday, but I could only delete the whole thing or cancel. I tried twice (opened a new window, reopened the thread, clicked "edit post"). I haven't had time today, just wondering if others have had this issuu or if my internet/phone was just acting up. Galaxy Note, ICS.

6. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Somewhere around 8-8:10pm P_T on 2012/09/10, this functionality went sideways. Lots of double-posts auto-merged with identical content in both halves.

It could people just double-committing replies (or browser bugs) but I saw it in 4 posts in that period by different authors.

Sidenote: During that period, the "New Posts" page showed all 4 posts but I couldn't navigate to any of the posts for 5-10 minutes. I tried on two different computers, both using IE.

7. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

Using Firefox I started getting oddball errors from the 'first 18 hours' thread while other threads continued working.

I was guessing some admin / moderator work going on.

8. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

2012/09/18 noonish Pacific

It appears that the doubling is happening. This is the first example I've seen of tripling:
    Warranty/Servicing - official Tesla responses (incl GeorgeB) - Page 20

9. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

This feature is frustrating as hell (for me, anyway).

I was trying to reply to someone's question (in the OVMS thread), and then announce something new as a new post (which got merged with the completely unrelated reply). I can understand the purpose of the feature, but in such cases it looks incredibly messy, and confusing for the reader.

Is there any way of disabling it for a particular post?

10. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Wait 30 minutes or for someone else to reply?

If you link me to it, I can split the post.

11. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

Thanks, Doug. 30 mins will work fine.