Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Updated autopilot sucks!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find that under 2018.21.9 nag is more dependent on environment. Driving on the highway without a lot of cars it doesn't nag as much as when you have more cars around. I also find that it doesn't go in order when nagging depending on the situation. Normal highway nag just shows the blue warning, then adds the white bar. Driving on none controlled highways the car will go directly to both blue message and white bar or sometimes direct to audible warning based on the surrounding (such as crossing an intersection)

Version xx.21.9

Ap1 now nags every 30 seconds. What's worse, it nags even when my hands are on the steering wheel.

This is terrible bc if I do get an accident, Tesla will pull up their car logs and show that my hands were "not" on the steering wheel for last 5 minutes, repeatedly warned blah blah blah just to cover their ass.

Typical media and Tesla over reacting to the situation.

Cars with launch controls tell you to launch on the rack or whenever safe. If some idiot launches it from the driveway no one would blame the manufacturer.

Cars can go up to 155mph. It's not safe on any street to do that. And if a driver did go that fast and died, no one would blame the manufacturer.

I don't know why everyone jumps on Tesla for every accident. Whatever happened to personal responsibilities.

Now autopilot is annoying AF! Makes me me want to actively defeat the nag now...

I would actually say that 21.9 is more dangerous than not using AP. I actually turned it off this weekend.

My 5ft 3" wife could not put enough pressure on the steering wheel to stop the nanny alerts. It caused her to pull off the side of the road and reset the car so she could reuse the AP. So I tried - 6ft and 210lbs and my normal way of driving had the same issues. Finally the alerts were so annoying - I turned it off.

Sad - 3 years later and AP2 is a downgrade compared to AP1.

21.9 gives me roughly twice as many nag messages as 18.x. I always have one or two hands on the wheel and found myself getting annoyed at the constant nagging and turned off AP during my 200-mile commute yesterday afternoon. If AP is going to force me to steer all the time, I'll just stick to TACC and steer.

It sounds like you may have a fault. I never have to put enough force on the wheel to actually shake the car as you describe. All I need to do to cancel a nag is slightly resist the AS control in either direction.

Good luck getting a service center to acknowledge a fault with the wheel torque setting. Mine is higher than other Teslas I have driven, enough that I do sometimes have to jiggle the car to get it to see my hand and disengaging AP with the wheel always causes a unpleasant jerk at freeway speeds.

Service told me they can not adjust the wheel torque setting, it is set at the factory and they cant alter it. They just told me to not disengage with the steering wheel anymore. :rolleyes:

• Informative
Reactions: dogldogl
Good luck getting a service center to acknowledge a fault with the wheel torque setting. Mine is higher than other Teslas I have driven, enough that I do sometimes have to jiggle the car to get it to see my hand and disengaging AP with the wheel always causes a unpleasant jerk at freeway speeds.

Service told me they can not adjust the wheel torque setting, it is set at the factory and they cant alter it. They just told me to not disengage with the steering wheel anymore. :rolleyes:

Looks like luck of the draw in that case! They are BSing you though about not being able to change the torque setting. They've done it themselves in software fairly recently. Mine now requires a lot less torque to override than it used to on earlier firmware versions. Maybe they just can't adjust the gain setting on individual cars? Luckily mine is pretty good and disengages quite smoothly in most situations without being overly sensitive.

Wild speculation but what if this is a precursor to the self driving features due to be released in August. They cost more and many owners haven’t enabled that option.

If Autopilot is more naggy about having hands on but self driving does not then by the level of irritation shown here and in other posts I believe owners would pay to get the car to stop nagging. This may be Tesla’s angle to funnel cash into FSD.

I'm on 21.9, AP1.

the issue as you guys can see is that the nagging even comes on when the hands are on the steering wheel. The steering wheel needs to feel some resistance against the wheel for the nagging to not turn on.

Putting resistance against the wheel is tiring for longer drives and defeats the purpose of autopilot.

I'm sure others will chime in when they start using AP on 21.9. I'm guessing they changed the nagging feature on all of AP.

This is not the right way to reduce their liability for AP. What makes me love Tesla is not this....

All you have to do is hold the wheel... That's literally it. I don't see why some of you can't do this, why it's so hard...??? Just did almost 100 miles of AP driving yesterday and got exactly ZERO nags... Not a single one... Why? Because I keep one hand on the wheel at all times... It's really not that hard people...

Jeff

Edit: To be clear I'm on 2018.21.9

All you have to do is hold the wheel... That's literally it. I don't see why some of you can't do this, why it's so hard...??? Just did almost 100 miles of AP driving yesterday and got exactly ZERO nags... Not a single one... Why? Because I keep one hand on the wheel at all times... It's really not that hard people...

Jeff

Edit: To be clear I'm on 2018.21.9
I didnt pay for autopilot to have to do this. Upsold for one thing and then downgraded to another. It's not about being hard or not. Lets say tesla decides next to slow down the cars because acceleration is too fast, or change other functions etc. i just dont like it.

Reactions: MIT_S60 and EVSteve
I didnt pay for autopilot to have to do this. Upsold for one thing and then downgraded to another. It's not about being hard or not. Lets say tesla decides next to slow down the cars because acceleration is too fast, or change other functions etc. i just dont like it.

What? Um... Yes you did... AP CLEARLY STATES that you are to keep your hands on the wheel while using it... Where in the world did you get the idea that you'd be excluded from this requirement...???

Jeff

my hands are on the wheel, but the messages still come on. tell me about that?

Clearly they aren't or you wouldn't get the nag. It's not really complicated or hard. I can't even remember the last time I got a nag, it's been so long.... Why? Because I keep one hand on the wheel at all times usually at the 8 o'clock position with my elbow resting on the drivers door. Zero nags, ever. Including on 2018.21.9...

Jeff