Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Updated autopilot sucks!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I still haven't updated. But it's getting very annoying having to dismiss the "software update available" that pops up every time the car is shifted from Park into either Reverse or Drive.

Actually the fact that this popup appears when shifting into Reverse seems like a safety hazard to me, because it blocks the view of the rear camera. There shouldn't be ANYTHING that is allowed to block the view of the rear camera when the car is in reverse.
I have only noticed it coming up when shifting into Park. It would stay up when shifting into Drive or Reverse later, but I just reflexively always dismiss immediately.

...I use comfort, but my steering is still very stiff compared to loaners also in comfort, and it takes a significant amount of force to clear the nags and an even more significant amount of force to cancel auto steer using the steering wheel.

I second this experience mxnym.
(FWIW: My steering is also stiff compared to loaners also in comfort.)

I use comfort steering setting and find with my latest update (2018.21.9) both the required force & duration (polling interval seems longer) of applying the force to counteract the nag during Autopilot, is significantly greater (ie. worse) compared to all previous iterations. I've been driving ModelX daily, for 2 years (first AP1 & now AP2) & admit the autopilot performance was the primary reason for purchasing the car. This (2018.21.9) feels like a huge downgrade to me from a user(driver)-experience perspective.

Last edited:
Reactions: bell2041
I second this experience mxnym.
(FWIW: My steering is also stiff compared to loaners also in comfort.)

I use comfort steering setting and find with my latest update (2018.21.9) both the required force & duration (polling interval seems longer) of applying the force to counteract the nag during Autopilot, is significantly greater (ie. worse) compared to all previous iterations. I've been driving ModelX daily, for 2 years (first AP1 & now AP2) & admit the autopilot performance was the primary reason for purchasing the car. This (2018.21.9) feels like a huge downgrade to me from a user(driver)-experience perspective.
I'm sorry you're in the same camp, is yours always that way, or is it sometimes fine? My steering used to vary from trip to trip or day to day. It seems more consistent now, but sometimes varies during a drive. When it varied from trip to trip, it would occasionally be wonderful, but it's usually bad or worse, and I have some sort of RSI in my hands, so it's downright unpleasant to drive. As much as I wanted an electric vehicle, and as much as I love the X overall, between my steering and the worthless sun visors, I sometimes seriously wonder if I should cut my losses and move back to old used cars.

Reactions: MIT_S60
I still haven't updated. But it's getting very annoying having to dismiss the "software update available" that pops up every time the car is shifted from Park into either Reverse or Drive.

Actually the fact that this popup appears when shifting into Reverse seems like a safety hazard to me, because it blocks the view of the rear camera. There shouldn't be ANYTHING that is allowed to block the view of the rear camera when the car is in reverse.
I only partially agree. Nothing should automatically block the view of the rear camera while in reverse (in addition to the update screen, homelink currently does this based on GPS), there is no good reason a driver shouldn't have the option to manually bring screens up over this display or close this display (both of which are currently possible).

Just had a software update and let me say, this new auto pilot sucks!!!!!

The hands on wheel warning pops up every 20 seconds when in cruise control.

It’s annoying as I need to literally put pressure against the wheel with my hand so it really defeats autopilot. To keep it from coming on every 20 seconds.

Also these warnings are creating an increased distraction from watching the road as I need to take my eyes off the road.

I can no longer recommend autopilot to any referrals.

Let’s just call it driver assist now since this is no longer remotely close to autopilot.

I understand tesla is trying to cover their butt with these recent fatalities but I don’t agree with this new update.

Totally agree. I talked to Tesla yesterday and the customer service person told me something I didn't know: the system doesn't ever detect the strength of your grip on the wheel. That is why squeezing so hard you get blisters doesn't help a bit. The sensor is in the steering column, and it detect miniscule steering wheel movements. I haven't tried it yet, but supposedly, if you continually move the wheel ever so slightly - not enough to make the car turn at all -- while in autosteer, it will detect your presence and not bother you. But even that is a royal pain - you have to concentrate on doing something ridiculous instead of the road conditions. But you're right, they tightened the sensing window to cover their butt.

I haven't tried it yet, but supposedly, if you continually move the wheel ever so slightly - not enough to make the car turn at all -- while in autosteer, it will detect your presence and not bother you.

That's right, it's sensing your torque input on the wheel, not your touch or squeezing pressure. If you hold the wheel with one hand and let it support the weight of your arm, that usually provides enough torque to prevent the nags. You can hold the wheel with two hands, but then you have to make sure one hand is pulling down a little more than the other to stop them cancelling each other out.

It's slightly annoying that you have to do this and it would be better if there were additional touch sensors on the wheel, but it works okay when you get used to it.

6/18 MX with latest firmware. I use autopilot every work day for about 40 miles total. Not a single warning. I hold the steering wheel right below the right spoke with one hand and just let the weight of my forearm apply just enough torque. I can also immediately correct steering if needed. The only minor issue with using one hand is that it will pop you out of autopilot if you hit a bump since weight is all on one side.

That's right, it's sensing your torque input on the wheel, not your touch or squeezing pressure. If you hold the wheel with one hand and let it support the weight of your arm, that usually provides enough torque to prevent the nags. You can hold the wheel with two hands, but then you have to make sure one hand is pulling down a little more than the other to stop them cancelling each other out.

It's slightly annoying that you have to do this and it would be better if there were additional touch sensors on the wheel, but it works okay when you get used to it.
Thanks. I smoke-tested my new information this morning, and it worked! As the Tesla Tech recommended, I softly rested both arms on the wheel at the 3 o'clock and 9'clock positions, with my thumbs around the cross bar. I made two trips of about 10 miles each in Autopilot without a warning - the bumps in California roads these days seem to be plenty to provide the needed "slight steering wheel movement." In the rare instance that I might be on a perfectly smooth CA road, I'll have to try this again and see how much intentional wiggle is required.

Thanks. I smoke-tested my new information this morning, and it worked! As the Tesla Tech recommended, I softly rested both arms on the wheel at the 3 o'clock and 9'clock positions, with my thumbs around the cross bar. I made two trips of about 10 miles each in Autopilot without a warning - the bumps in California roads these days seem to be plenty to provide the needed "slight steering wheel movement." In the rare instance that I might be on a perfectly smooth CA road, I'll have to try this again and see how much intentional wiggle is required.

Sounds good. You don't need to wiggle the steering wheel if you do get a nag, just apply a gentle force/torque to the wheel in either steering direction. Wiggling it can cause a bit of actual steering wobble if you're not careful.

Sadly I would agree my new X is not even close to our old AP1 S
It seems as though Tesla is even still monkeying with AP1 as well. It always seemed much smoother than AP2, but our current RWD 85 loner is nowhere near as nice as AP1 used to be. Now, there is often a large hesitation before changing lanes, and sometimes it will not change lanes at all unless you reinitiate. Also, there was never so much lweaving on extra wide lanes like it does now - compared to even just a few months ago.

One new nag that I think is necessary for safety and thought it should have always been there is when auto steer loses input sensory information such as lines. It will now immediately nag in that scenario. Before, it would just power through the confusion guessing on the path it should take either completely disengaging or pick up a few seconds later without a nag. My new observations is it will nag at a timed interval as others have noted or when any temporary sensory data is lost such as lines. The temporary sensory data loss overrides the time interval with an immediate nag warning. I think the later may be misinterpreted as excessive nags and is confused with the timed nag interval.

Instead of hands on wheel, Supercruise uses a camera making sure you are keeping your eyes on the road. Avert your eyes and supercruise gives you an even harsher nag.
i found a way to easily defeat Supercruise;
51Ra2%2Bf5muL._SY450_.jpg

just sayin'

• Funny
Reactions: Shock-On-T
It's way too soon to conclude that, though. Videos from the back seat have not happened since v7.0.

In terms of accidents, two of the 3 recently publicized accidents were in AP1 cars, so that's more than a month or two of incident-free operation before a publicized accident anyway.