Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Updated car - autopilot no longer works at night?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I updated my car this week for the first time in months

A few good features but the most significant is that I can no longer use autopilot at night, even on the motorway. The car just says ‘speed reduced due to poor visibility’ and starts braking down from 70mph.

Is this something everyone is dealing with? Or any way to fix it?

Works great in daytime… but that’s not much use with our current daytime hours.

What software version are you on? I’m on 44.25.2 and drive almost exclusively at night at the moment and haven’t had the issue you’re having.

Have you tried the two button reset? Press and hold the two steering wheel buttons until the screen resets. Apparently it’s good practice after an update and sorts lots of little issues. Especially if it’s not a wide issue and you seem to be the only one suffering it.

If you haven’t updated in months then you will have lost the radar functionality that your car had, and used, for Autopilot. One of the features in the release notes would have said that you were “transitioned to Tesla Vision”.

Unfortunately there’s nothing you can really do I’m afraid, except hope that eventually it will get better in this area.

Like @M1tch I haven’t had this problem but I can conceive of bad enough weather where it could happen, particularly if the car (cameras) were dirty as well.

Maybe a dirty windscreen by the cameras?
I like to clean my windscreen with Jiff bathroom cleaner every so often as it removes any road film that might have built up. Consequently, I don't have your problem and my wipers work pretty good as well.

I also had this issue driving pre dawn the other day but the car was really dirty... hadn't cleaned it in weeks and weeks. Worked fine once the sun came up and haven't had an issue at night since cleaning the car.

I had an incident of EAP reducing cruise speed to zero while active in a low-sunlight slight descent 40 mph dual lane section of road last week after reporting its vision was affected. Possibly something similar led to that 8-vehicle pile-up recently reported in the news in the US. Cruise resumed a short while after it was necessary to take over myself to minimise rear-end collision risk.

My own S with FSD and USS hardware.

• Informative
Reactions: CWT3LR
The low sun at northern latitudes makes vision-based systems unusable at certain times of day. The damp air in England means we also get lots more mist and fog, another problem that vision cannot solve. Europe has far smaller parking spaces than the US, so millimeter-accurate parking sensors are really useful to make the most of limited space.

Tesla needs to accept that different geographies require different technologies.

The low sun at northern latitudes makes vision-based systems unusable at certain times of day. The damp air in England means we also get lots more mist and fog, another problem that vision cannot solve. Europe has far smaller parking spaces than the US, so millimeter-accurate parking sensors are really useful to make the most of limited space.

Tesla needs to accept that different geographies require different technologies.
No cars have 'millimeter-accurate' parking sensors. Credibility ruined.

• Funny
Reactions: CWT3LR
Since recent updates I haven't done a single journey without the AP speed reducing due to poor visibility. That and constantly being told erroneously that cameras are blocked makes the system much worse than it used to be. I do >2k miles per week.
Not my experience at all, driving in the dark and rain down the M40 yesterday there was no speed limitation in pretty miserable conditions. I suggest you raise a service ticket, it’s not right.

Reactions: EVMeister
I also had this issue driving pre dawn the other day but the car was really dirty... hadn't cleaned it in weeks and weeks. Worked fine once the sun came up and haven't had an issue at night since cleaning the car.
Er... Scrap that. Had issues yesterday in daylight with all cameras clean. About 20 mins it lasted and then all fine. Bizarre.

I updated my car this week for the first time in months

A few good features but the most significant is that I can no longer use autopilot at night, even on the motorway. The car just says ‘speed reduced due to poor visibility’ and starts braking down from 70mph.

Is this something everyone is dealing with? Or any way to fix it?

Works great in daytime… but that’s not much use with our current daytime hours.
You haven’t applied RainX or similar onto the windscreen in front of the camera’s have you? That’s not recommended.