Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Updated car - autopilot no longer works at night?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve had this message and it changing the speed a lot recently. Saying speed lowered due to bad visibility. It’s downright dangerous and a bit like a phantom braking event. It’s been daylight so I guess it’s the crappy vision system causing it.

• Informative
Reactions: CWT3LR
They stripped back the ability to see a lot of things with TV, so you have to be a lot more careful at night as you won't get any kind of warning if you miss something in your vision (it can't see pedestrians or oncoming traffic for example, and in the dark can't see parked cars at all.. I've been sat in the middle of a car park at night surrounded by people and cars and TV showing clear in all directions) .

But I've never had it actually fail to switch on. I think because the motorways here are very well lit. I don't *trust* it.. the trust is gone.. but it does appear to work.

Just because parked cars in a car park are not shown in the display doesn’t mean the car doesn’t see them. They’re just not illustrated on the display. Drive in TACC towards said cars, the Tesla would stop before it hit them.

Poor camera visibility due to sun blinding and dirt is a separate matter and fundamental limitations of the current hardware. There’s only so much you can do with AI.

Nah it doesn't see them.. I had an incident where someone tried to suicide in a car park and the car didn't even notice them. Previous to TV it'd have beeped like hell and braked.

Like I said, confidence is gone. It needs to prove to me that it can see hazards otherwise it's limited to brightly lit motorways when there's no traffic.