Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Updated Firmware, Immediately Blower Fan Doesn't work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's been a Long....Tesla Week......
Took the kids to school in the Model S, blower worked.
Came home, started firmware update.
While that was running, took the MX to service center for a flaky passengers window that stopped rolling up and down earlier in the week, that magically started working last night, and CCS Upgrade.
Got home, immediately needed the Model S as it was then at full charge and we had a long round trip immediately to do with no charging stop.
Got in the MS, and blower would not run. only change was the firmware update. Other than that, never had an issue prior.
It was a cold ride :-( round trip 3 hrs total.
Everything else works. Including the heat, just no blower. On the freeway, just enough air would come through the vent due to driving to blow some heat onto windshield to keep it from fogging. Seat heaters at least worked.

Ideas? Guessing the fan module got screwed up during the firmware update? Think Tesla will goodwill it due to being caused by firmware update? Too random to be coincidence. Thoughts? Which fuses I could check?

I bet it will work tomorrow! I assume you rebooted and it didn't work. My theory is that the software sometimes takes a day or so to get settled. Things magically start working when the update screws them up. Then again, maybe something has failed coincidentally.

I bet it will work tomorrow! I assume you rebooted and it didn't work. My theory is that the software sometimes takes a day or so to get settled. Things magically start working when the update screws them up. Then again, maybe something has failed coincidentally.
I've had that happen before. Like I said with the MX's passengers window. The software on these cars is getting worse by each release. I swear the best release I've ever used was 4.2 Never an issue. Starting with 9, it started going downhill, 10 brought in the downward spiral. 11 is just pure crap.

To make matters worse, the MS was scheduled for CCS update and hood latch recall on the 22nd. Randomly it got changed to 22 as mobile visit, shortly after it got changed to 17th mobile visit, then shortly later 17th service center, then back to mobile, then back to service center. Service center is now closed, so I can't reach anyone to find out what the heck I'm supposed do or where to go. I can't do service center tomorrow, I could make mobile work.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, we made it work at the service center today :) I will say our local service center is made up of Rock Starts! I dropped it off early this morning.
They surprisingly had a full selection of loaners available, and were able to get me in a P100DL+ Model X. All I can say is, WOW, nice upgrade! Impressive. Unfortunately, it takes only about 2 seconds to reach the service loaner speed limiter......

They got to work right away. Hood latch recall adjustment, then moved on to the heater fan. Saved CCS upgrade for last, as that is a nice to have but not a must do, just in case.
Turns out, the heater fan WAS bad, or at least going. After the firmware update, it triggered some sort of pending failure warning, and possible stall (Didn't see the error in person, but this is how it was explained).
I kept the heater fan. Surprisingly well designed, but has one MAJOR and one MINOR failure point. It is a BRUSHED motor, which would be the major failure point, and it appears to use a brass bushing instead of a bearing, the minor failure point.

I'm going to make a teardown video tomorrow, as today I'm uploading a video as I spotted and followed a Nikola EV Semi Truck here in Wisconsin after leaving the service center,.

So back to the fan motor. Teardown shows about 15% of each of the two brushes left. Still a useable amount, HOWEVER, as brushes wear, the springs that push them to make contact with the Rotor/Commutator, of course keep elongating. As they elongate, they no longer provide as mush "pushing" pressure, thus, the brushes don't make as good of contact with the Rotor/Commutator. This can cause an increased amperage situation.

Second, as it isn't a bearing on the fan's shaft, but a bushing, bushings wear at a much faster pace, especially if not lubricated at any point, will begin to seize. Basically, it's worn out, and will "drag" requiring more power to turn, and will continue to degrade until it no longer can turn, or so worn, the shaft wobbles and more mechanical damage done.

Therefore, poor remaining brush contact + the worn out bushing causing the motor to not spin freely (if spun by hand, it stops within 2 seconds, where as a brand new one, will spin for 30+ seconds before coming to a stop) caused increased power consumption/higher amperage draw. What likely happened, was, while it would "work" before the firmware update, the parameters set in the updated firmware to likely detect this issue had a higher tolerance. Again, therefore, tripped the shutoff.

I can also report, with the new fan, the HVAC moves a NOTICABLE amount more of air.
Replacement cost was also very reasonable I believe, at ~$180-ish (Not exact)

Either way, while it would have been nice to get that remaining ~15 of brush life out of the motor, which would likely be able to be extended by lubricating the bushing, I am happy with the outcome, and given that it is a NECESSARY item, not a nice to have feature, the repair cost was very reasonable.

Also happy with the CCS update & Included adapter :) Solid adapter!

One last final note, the blower motor brushes are not replaceable. For the heck of it, I tried tracking down replacements, not available. I could make similar sized brushes work, however, the attachment points are crimped & welded, so it would be a destructive replacement. Could likely cut then solder the copper lead though. not worth the hassle, especially for $180-ish INSTALLED. I'm going to ask what the bare part cost is next time I'm at or passing by the service center. I'm one of those people that cant stand being a a stuffy car. I keep the fan going ALWAYS when in, so I likely wear through faster than normal. This means, my model X isn't much further behind my Model S for fan replacement.

One Last, Last final note, the radiator cooling fans are not brushed ;-)

Oh, playing with the motor on my bench, if you ever hear a "Swish Swish Swish Swish Swish Swish Swish Swish" noise when you have the HVAC running, it's likely the bushing wearing out. Keep using it, but plan for a service visit soon! My first MS had the noise, same as I'm hearing on this motor on my bench, however, it was traded back in 2016 before it failed.

• Informative
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec