Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Updated iPhone X to iOS 13 now doesn’t work as key [Update: go to Settings > Privacy > Bluetooth]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In iOS 13, Apple added a requirement that each app ask you to allow connection to Bluetooth as a security issue. Many apps had secretly been using Bluetooth to track you and did not otherwise need to use a Bluetooth connection. See ...

I figured that was the case. The Tesla app and the Withings Health Mate apps got access to Bluetooth, but the CNN app didn't get access to it. So far, those are the only apps that have requested access on my device. Frankly, I've been paring down the number of apps on my phone because of junk like this. I've purged all games from the phone and am getting rid of more and more of the add-on apps over time.

Edit: And, as others have mentioned, iOS 13 on my iPhone 6s works fine as a phone key on my Model 3. No issues unlocking and driving the car....

So my Tesla updated last night to version 2019.32.2.2.

today I updated my iPhone X to new iOS, left work and phone wouldn’t work as a key.

thought it was a fluke but persistently not working.

Anyone else experience this?

//update.

I am on latest updates on all, and only noticed this immediately after the iOS update.

A buddy of mine who worked in test at Tesla said when near the car, turn Bluetooth off and then back on and try again.

Strangely, that worked.

I do note now though that the Tesla app needs to be running (not front but not quit) for it to work more reliably.

I’ve been using iOS 13 (now 13.1) Public beta since early summer and my phone never stopped working as a key. Tesla app was updated to support iOS 13 months ago, maybe check if you’re running an old version of app.
Same here — no real problems with 13 for the last few months. I think I remember having to re-connect the phone a few times at first, but that’s to be expected with any major software change. Go with the flow and enjoy!

my issue, im on ios 13, and i used to back on ios 12, i used to be able to keep my phone locked, turn bluetooth on, and use phone key without opening the app, but now every time i have to open the app on ios 13, its quite annoying. every once in a while is fine, but every time now, is annoying.

today I updated my iPhone X to new iOS, left work and phone wouldn’t work as a key.

//update

I launched the Tesla app on my phone and it looks like it reset permissions in the app, wanted me to okay the app to use BT.

Annoying.

Hopefully that sorts the issue. Maybe this info will help someone else.

//update

I launched the Tesla app on my phone and it looks like it reset permissions in the app, wanted me to okay the app to use BT.

Annoying.

My update happened last night and my app wouldn’t update. I could still use the phone to access the car, drive it, etc. but couldn’t open charging port, no updated GPS, battery status, etc... showed me the last update from yesterday.

I finally deleted my Tesla app and reinstalled it and presto, everything works again!!!

//update

Annoying.

I had the latest App version 32.2.2. Phone car access worked fine. Upgraded iPhone to iOS 13.1 and that link is broken. Bluetooth says it is connected. Phone does pair as I can play music from phone to car but cannot open doors or start car without the key card.

Have new iPhone 11. Had no issues with iPhone X running ios13 but ever since new phone has been involved the only way unlocking locking or starting works is with app open or open in the background. All Bluetooth permissions are set to on and always on.