Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Updated] Model 3 CCS / CHAdeMO adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know why the 3rd party charging networks are not putting Tesla connectors on their chargers. They would open their chargers up to many more potential customers with less hassle. I'm sure Tesla would not make it hard to license the cable. It gives Tesla customers more options, making Tesla's more attractive. I can see why electrify america does not (paid for by VW), but the others should put in Tesla cables for their high speed chargers.

The cable is not the issue it's the software for their hardware.

Reactions: MP3Mike
It isn't as simple as putting the right cable/connector on. You would have to support the Tesla Supercharging protocol, and I'm not sure Tesla wants to share that.

I think at least one charging provider in the EU took a Tesla CHAdeMO adapter and integrated it into their DC fast charger station. But that wouldn't help a Model 3 since it doesn't currently support the CHAdeMO adapter.

The CHAdeMO adapter is really required for Model 3s sold in Japan, and is almost required in Canada. (Though a CCS adapter in Canada would work OK too.)

What I would really like to see a "universal" adapter created by Tesla. Maybe the adapter itself would be Type 1 CCS to US Tesla, but you could stack an additional adapter on it to convert the CHAdeMO connector to the Type 1 CCS connector. That way you wouldn't need two large bulky adapters. (Just one large bulky adapter and one adapter.) Of course maybe that really isn't necessary. Maybe CCS alone is enough in the US. (Since the majority of new sites are primarily CCS.)

With my luck the day after we get our 2020 Leaf e-plus they’ll come out with the Chademo or CCS adapter. Doh.

• Funny
Reactions: MP3Mike
I think at least one charging provider in the EU took a Tesla CHAdeMO adapter and integrated it into their DC fast charger station. But that wouldn't help a Model 3 since it doesn't currently support the CHAdeMO adapter.

Correct, at least Fastned provides Tesla to Chademo adapters at it's charging stations in the Netherlands. I think it's regulations that doesn't allow them to place adapters in Germany as well. Those adapters are limited at 50 KW charging rate.

One remarkable fact: At one of those fast charging stations, they did provide 2 Chademo adapters for the model S&X. A few weeks ago they removed one of them. Didn't ask why, i'm just a happy Leaf driver. (But probably won't buy one again if they stay to the Chademo connector for fast charging. Think my next car will have CCS; Guess Europe is different then the US, both in charging habits and in charging infrastructure).

I've heard rumors that a Tesla to CCS adapter, when available, needs to be individually paired to a car. If true, i think a charging provider cannot provide such an adapter at it's stations.

I've heard rumors that a Tesla to CCS adapter, when available, needs to be individually paired to a car. If true, i think a charging provider cannot provide such an adapter at it's stations.

Where did you hear that rumor?

I don't like the sound of that unless it is something that you can do yourself. (Share one CCS adapter between multiple cars.)

It is ridiculous Model 3 STILL has no working CCS / CHAdeMO adapter. What can we do?
You can move to Europe. :p
This is a huge deal for US and Canadian customers alike.
For the most part, not really. And every week headed it moves a little farther in the direction from "huge deal". CCS has decidedly less overall coverage for the privilege of normally paying more. ChaDEMO similar, with the kicker that it at best isn't much above L2 rates and isn't even really growing coverage in NA.

The ChaDEMO adaptor is $450 or something, unlikely for a CCS to be much cheaper if at all. Somewhere near zero chance I'd order either one.

EDT: BTW when I talked this weekend to a Model S owner that travels continent wide, is I believe #6 on unique charging stations visited, he said while he still carries his ChaDEMO he believes he hasn't used it in a year and a half.

Last edited:
For the most part, not really. And every week headed it moves a little farther in the direction from "huge deal".
I'm not so sure about that. The EA network will probably grow at a similar pace as the supercharger network in the next few years. It may not only help with coverage in some areas, but also alleviate the congestion issues that we have in many areas in CA. For example, I was trying to charge at a mall in Livermore a few weeks ago; all the superchargers were occupied, while across the aisle there was a whole row of open CCS chargers that I wasn't able to use. Frustrating.

I'm not so sure about that. The EA network will probably grow at a similar pace as the supercharger network in the next few years.
Look at its plan. They are going to be shadowing the old SC network, trying to start closing the several years gap that they are behind. It's not going to be adding any meaningful new area coverage. Which makes a lot of sense for them, because of how well Tesla did laying out their network.

By the end of this year EA is hoping to only be 4 years or so behind.
It may not only help with coverage in some areas, but also alleviate the congestion issues that we have in many areas in CA. For example, I was trying to charge at a mall in Livermore a few weeks ago; all the superchargers were occupied, while across the aisle there was a whole row of open CCS chargers that I wasn't able to use. Frustrating.
What's also frustrating; Showing up and Surprise! it's already occupied, as opposed to being able to see and plan ahead with the SC stations (usually, with occasional phantom charging use and disable stalls leaning one way and the other).

Also frustrating, gasoline pricing on the charging. And unwieldy adaptors.

Last edited:
Look at its plan. They are going to be shadowing the old SC network, trying to start closing the several years gap that they are behind. It's not going to be adding any meaningful new area coverage. Which makes a lot of sense for them, because of how well Tesla did laying out their network.
Given that Tesla can't keep up with demand in the "hot" EV markets, I'll take what I can get.
What's also frustrating; Showing up and Surprise! it's already occupied, as opposed to being able to see and plan ahead with the SC stations (usually, with occasional phantom charging use and disable stalls leaning one way and the other).
By the time the chargers are heavily used (i.e. more CCS cars on the road), their app will be ready and show you occupancy ahead of time. At the moment it's simply not an issue.
Also frustrating, gasoline pricing on the charging.
It's really in the same ballpark as Tesla's new pricing at higher charge rates. Besides, the pricing isn't settled yet. Eventually EV charging will follow market forces and be competitive.

Last edited:
It's really in the same ballpark as Tesla's new pricing at higher charge rates.
No.

The higher end CCS rates are theoretically in the ballpark at the moment if you don't charge too much, or too little. Only their game plan is explicitly to charge gasoline rates, they've stated this. So expect they'll raise those rates when they have actual cars that begin to use those upper rates because that's their stated game plan.

Remember, they don't actually want people to use EVs right now.

Their 50kW nominal ChaDEMO (and J-1772) prices are positively brutal. Like 20mpg premium gasoline prices or something like that. Assuming you charge the "right amount". At the top end and the bottom end of use it is even worse.

You can move to Europe. :p

For the most part, not really. And every week headed it moves a little farther in the direction from "huge deal". CCS has decidedly less overall coverage for the privilege of normally paying more. ChaDEMO similar, with the kicker that it at best isn't much above L2 rates and isn't even really growing coverage in NA.

Except those that happen to live in areas with CCS and ChaDEMO chargers nearby and not superchargers. Yes, I would agree that more people probably live and work near a supercharger than the others. But, that does not mean that everyone can rely on the supercharger network. In my case CCS is much closer to my house and more convenient even if it costs more. I do not want to spend 30 minutes driving to a supercharger and another 30 minutes driving back when a 350kwh CCS charger is right by my house. Waiting hours on a home charger is not always the most convenient.

The Walmart by my house now has 350KWH CCS charger stations. In the EU CCS has already been demonstrated at charging the model 3 at 125KWH - faster than the superchargers. The nearest supercharger is 20 miles away and takes about 30 minutes to get there.

I've been waiting patiently for this to happen since the Model 3 first started customer deliveries. I have many charging station options around my location that do CCS/CHAdeMO combo. The Supercharger in my city is constantly full this year since model 3 was released.

I understood in 2017 when customers first started taking posession of their cars that they had other big things to work on and charging adapters might not be a high priority. It's been almost 2 years since first deliveries (once july hits) and we still have nothing. This is a huge deal for US and Canadian customers alike. If they truly want to accelerate sustainable transport; they need to deliver on this front. It is not fair that model 3s are exclusively locked into the Supercharger network for fast charging. Tesla has criticized other automakers for not approaching them for getting on-board with adapting their cars for use with Superchargers; but they have not made a way for their model 3 to access even Universal charging standards (CCS) in the US. It is hypocritical and anti EV. It is hard enough as it is to do long range travel, and away from home travel in an EV (even with the supercharger network), locking model 3 owners out of charging options needs to stop.

Don't get me wrong; I love the supercharger network, Tesla, and their mission. But we have to call this out because its not fair and it is long overdue. They obviously can get CCS working as the european models have it built in. ( I know the protocol and connector is different over there, its just an example of how it is possible) How can we get Elon or Tesla's attention on this matter?
“Not fair” oh boy

I still chuckle when I read these sorts of posts. Not fair, compared to what exactly? GM?

It seems to be along the Trans Canada Hwy, where future superchargers are planned
That reads like a Canadian version of Electrify America? Which means of course they are shadowing Supercharger installs, just like EA. Hopefully not as belligerent to BEVs as EA's plan, though. :p I wonder if VW is involved with it somehow?

Great news if they start actually executing on that plan with a good pace, light a fire under Tesla to get moving even faster on their T-Can installs.