Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Updated] Model 3 CCS / CHAdeMO adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you reserve spots for EVs, then non-EV cars can't park in them, and if you don't, then EVs won't be able to park in them.
Company parking lots (as opposed to shopping centers) are easy. Simply instruct employees without EVs to park in non-charging spaces first, and if there are no other spaces park in the charging spaces.
I think you missed the point of that bit, which was that most people who say that L3 is much more expensive than L2 are comparing apples and oranges. They look at L2 chargers as not requiring new electrical service because they assume you already have a building transformer and breaker box, and it usually isn't at 100% of its capacity. But then, they base the cost of L3 charging on having to provide electrical service to the location.
I figure it is the same cost. Both require pretty much the same infrastructure, and the cost for enough L2 chargers to have the same charging capacity as L3 would be about the same. The slightly lower cost of the L2 chargers is offset by slightly higher wiring costs. I do think then L2 maintenace cost would be lower, based on the number of L3 chargers I see that are not working.
This is what valet service is for.
Once you add valet service to shuffle cars to the L3 charger, cost goes out the window.
Lots of businesses around here are using a mix of L2 and L3
None around here do that. All charging in employee parking lots I've seen have just L2. What are some of the companies around you that do that?

Reactions: MP3Mike
So let’s all send happy happy joy joy thoughts to Elon tonight and ask him to make a Chademo adapter (or CCS who cares) tonight so those of us who live in Lala land where there is beaucoup Chademo/CCS but hardly any Tesla Superchargers can actually go somewhere with our model 3’s. Ok, busted, I don’t actually own one, but I really prefer buying the 3 to the leaf. Not a thing without the adapter.

So let’s all send happy happy joy joy thoughts to Elon tonight and ask him to make a Chademo adapter (or CCS who cares) tonight so those of us who live in Lala land where there is beaucoup Chademo/CCS but hardly any Tesla Superchargers can actually go somewhere with our model 3’s. Ok, busted, I don’t actually own one, but I really prefer buying the 3 to the leaf. Not a thing without the adapter.

Sorry if this has been covered before, but where do you live? Nearest major city, perhaps?

Lets not forget that the Chademo adapter for the S is about $600...

I had a leaf for 4 yrs and do work for 4 Nissan delaers.

From my personal experience the chademo experience was terrible. There was only one unit at a spot, they were often down and when they were working when I needed them in the winter they were in use more often then not, so i had to wait a half your for someone to leave the sit and charge for another half hour. At least I had the heat on full!

With a Supercharger stall even if they were all in use someone will lose within a few minutes and it is twice as fast.

One Nissan dealer had 2 Leafs that had fried charging systems, turns out they both had trouble charging at the same DC unit. Lots of damage from too mutch voltage.

Nissan does not want to pay the repair.

J1772 is just 220 v, not much to go wrong lots of failsafes. DC 440 is another story.

If your Tesla fries from a bad 3rd party DC charger no warranty, no worries at a supercharger.

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I hope this is real and Tesla releases it for the US SOON!! https://electrek.co/2019/04/03/tesla-ccs-adapter-first-look/

2-tgctluK.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I hope this is real and Tesla releases it for the US SOON!! First look at Tesla’s highly-anticipated CCS adapter
As mentioned in other TMC threads, that is the Type-2 CCS adapter. It only fits cars that have the Tesla Type-2-like inlets. It is not at all compatible with North American or Japanese Tesla cars that have the TSL02 proprietary inlet. Of course, they could make a mechanically different adapter to fit the NA Tesla inlet, but we've not seen one of those yet.

Reactions: Big Earl
As mentioned in other TMC threads, that is the Type-2 CCS adapter. It only fits cars that have the Tesla Type-2-like inlets. It is not at all compatible with North American or Japanese Tesla cars that have the TSL02 proprietary inlet. Of course, they could make a mechanically different adapter to fit the NA Tesla inlet, but we've not seen one of those yet.

My bubble is appropriately burst .... but I still want a CCS adapter .. there's a ton of new CCS locations going in the Sacramento area & elsewhere

Reactions: Kmartyn and KJD
Everything I've seen, it feels like I'm the only one actually bothering Elon on Twitter for this stuff. I seriously want this too. I plan a migration out to Hawaii at some point, and there is zero supercharging out there, but the local electric companies support a decent network of DC fast chargers that would be awesome to use, but alas, if you have a TM3, you cannot.....