Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Updated Model S can go from Bay Area to L.A. on a single charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TLDR: Range gain from more MPGe, not more kWh.

Still, a 10% range gain = awesome. You don’t get that kind of (efficiency) improvement on an ICE car so easily.

Wheel bearing and front motor retrofits? I wouldn’t mind an extra 25 miles or so of range on an 85kWh car.

• Funny
Reactions: whitex
So this is basically the best news I've heard in years from Tesla. A pure EV, that gets 370 miles of range, is absolutely stunning to me and incredibly exciting. So very proud of Tesla for bringing the Model S and Model X back into the discussion. For a while there, I thought they were going to purely rely on the Model 3 and that made me a little sad for the S and X. Those are two excellent cars with easily the best Tesla interiors.

Reactions: DoubleE
Good luck driving from SF to LA at 60 MPH without getting run off the road...

The speed limit on I-5 is 70mph for most of the trip. He mentioned somewhere in the article or video that they were going 70-75 on this stretch, roughly with the flow of traffic but only passing when they could do it without goosing it to 80+.

Cool to prove the concept but I imagine a 10 minute charging stop in Bakersfield and driving as fast as you want would ultimately be a good deal faster.

More like AP drove 6 hours Hahaha
Lol! AP held the driver hostage and refused to stop.
Although the author did mention that the AP got mad at him for not holding the steering wheel and he had to drive himself.
Will the software upgrades increase range on older Model S's, or only more recent ones?
Unfortunately no. That'll at-least require the new front drive unit.
I wonder if Tesla will be willing to retrofit.

There have been a few times that the computer noted that I needed to go below a certain speed to make it to my destination. I would disregard that warning because with the inevitable slowdown from traffic, which would lower the average speed of the trip, I tended to reach my destination with 10% higher SOC than was estimated at the beginning of the trip.