Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Updated my model Y dash trim

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Installed mine a few days ago, and not happy with the fitment.. Gap in the middle too big for my liking and passenger side is leaving a dent on my door trim. Any idea on how to remove without damaging the dash cover and my wooden dash? Trying to see if I can return it or have them send me a replacement.

Attachments

• rszx.jpg
    rszx.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 183
  • rszx2.jpg
    rszx2.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 139
Installed mine a few days ago, and not happy with the fitment.. Gap in the middle too big for my liking and passenger side is leaving a dent on my door trim. Any idea on how to remove without damaging the dash cover and my wooden dash? Trying to see if I can return it or have them send me a replacement.
Are you sure you pushed it together completely? If it's hitting the door on one side, and there's a gap in the middle, the two pieces may not be completely butted together.

That's a bummer, hoping that would be an easy fix. If it was adhered to the wood, you can likely use a heat gun (on low) to soften up the glue, but the OEM wood looks pretty fragile. You might tear it up removing the cover. You could also try using some plastic pry tools along with the heat. Or maybe some dental floss to try and cut through the tape. Either way it will be messy.

That's a bummer, hoping that would be an easy fix. If it was adhered to the wood, you can likely use a heat gun (on low) to soften up the glue, but the OEM wood looks pretty fragile. You might tear it up removing the cover. You could also try using some plastic pry tools along with the heat.

Yea that's what Im worried about... Hoping that since it's only been on the car a for a few days that it would not cause any damage.

I had a carbon fiber look cover from RPMTesla. It got completely warped after only 8 months. I complained to them and their solution was to send me a video showing how to remove it and put it back on (it was warped so that obviously didn't fix the problem). When the cover came off, it took bits of the wood with it. The cover couldn't be put back on because it was no longer straight and also the adhesive was worn out and some bits had wood stuck to them. RPM said they'd send out double-sided tape but they never did.

Long story short. Yes, it may damage your wood if you take the cover off (it damaged mine). I was able to make it look decent again with a combination of putty and wood repair kits to try to match the color. Be careful and I'd stay away from RPM Tesla

I had a carbon fiber look cover from RPMTesla. It got completely warped after only 8 months. I complained to them and their solution was to send me a video showing how to remove it and put it back on (it was warped so that obviously didn't fix the problem). When the cover came off, it took bits of the wood with it. The cover couldn't be put back on because it was no longer straight and also the adhesive was worn out and some bits had wood stuck to them. RPM said they'd send out double-sided tape but they never did.

Long story short. Yes, it may damage your wood if you take the cover off (it damaged mine). I was able to make it look decent again with a combination of putty and wood repair kits to try to match the color. Be careful and I'd stay away from RPM Tesla
My Rpm cap fittment was off as well. Took it off and relined it with more 3m tape and tried hard to get it to line up. But if the cap is warped nothing you can do. I want an Alcantara one but don't want to use RPM again.

My Rpm cap fittment was off as well. Took it off and relined it with more 3m tape and tried hard to get it to line up. But if the cap is warped nothing you can do. I want an Alcantara one but don't want to use RPM again.
Unplugged Performance also offers an alcantara dash replacement.