TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Updated Navigation installed!

Discussion in 'Model X' started by CraneKick, Mar 31, 2018.

1. CraneKick

CraneKick Member

361A240E-A911-4899-A68D-2E4CDAE384B9.jpeg
    The software update was actually Thursday night. Didn’t see anything new in the release notes, but the install was longer than usual which I thought was strange. When I got in the car this morning, the note appeared on the screen.

Initial thoughts after a 5 minute drive - GPS voice and phrases are different, center screen looks the same, big difference is interface in dash - much sharper and more details for upcoming turns. Will add more later...

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  2. d21mike

d21mike Active Member

I assume your are on Firmware 2018.12. My understanding is it is not tied to the install of 2018.12 but may still be required.

You said the main screen looks the same. Does that mean it still says Google Maps on the lower right had corner?

3. CraneKick

CraneKick Member

Yes, still Google Maps.

4. Daniellane

Daniellane Active Member

I have the new navigation, but never saw these notes. Service center installed it. Am I to understand you correctly that this was not in the normal place where the release notes are found?
    Did it appear only once momentarily after the install? Is there a way to see it again, (in the manual?..) or is it gone forever???

5. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

tap your T center top, then tap Release Notes.

6. Daniellane

Daniellane Active Member

I don’t see those notes on navigation in the 2018.12 release notes on my March 2018 build with the new MCU. Perhaps they were preloaded at the factory? So maybe technically not an update?

7. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

Did anyone with AP1 get the update?

8. kev1n

kev1n Active Member

yes, i currently have it on my P85D

9. Daniellane

Daniellane Active Member

I’m still betting maps were preloaded at factory for March builds with new MCU2.
    These are the release notes I have for 2018.12:
    40FC6C6A-4BE4-49CA-84EF-F2043B79B33F.jpeg

FYI:
    Found this in the onboard manual:
    4B90FF5B-ADA8-4D8A-945B-51FE21AA81B9.jpeg

• Informative x 2
  10. privater

privater 2016 Model S and 2017 Model 3 owner

So this is basically the same navigation map I’ve been using for 3 months in Model 3.

It’s worth the waiting, a lot better than the original Navigon’s

11. outie

outie Active Member

It doesn’t show in MCU2 with 2018.12. I think it’s because it came preloaded.

• Love x 1
  12. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

HA! the SC installed my last update. I totally didn't even look. I can do the trunk/frunk from the app now too. lol.

13. Dazureus

Dazureus Member

I was under the impression that you could hit the trunk button in the app, then the next time you approach the vehicle, the trunk would open, but that doesn't seem to be the case. My app just opens and closes the trunk remotely from the phone.

14. NewTMSMan

NewTMSMan Active Member

Have had 2018.12 for weeks now on my Model X (still don't have beyond 10.4 on my S) with both cars on Wifi every night and on it for a full week last week with no interruption and still no upgraded Nav. This rollout process Tesla has is tiresome.... :(

• Like x 1
  15. Xminus6

Xminus6 Member

The new maps are definitely more detailed. I can zoom in much, much closer to the car's location than before and it has very detailed information of our neighborhood. I suppose I could have noticed this in our Model 3 earlier but I never really paid any attention to it.

16. cartech

cartech Member

"Reroute if it saves more than" was a new option? I picked up my MX last week of March and had .6 version but I had the reroute if it saves more than option in maps that time only. Got the .14 yesterday and wondering how will I know once I get updates maps.

17. Daniellane

Daniellane Active Member

Not new

18. Xminus6

Xminus6 Member

No. That’s been there for years. I guess some people never adjusted that setting though.

19. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

IMO choosing that option on the "old" maps is kind of a joke. The only kind of rerouting it really understands is "get off the highway for 1 exit then get back on", as if it just selects "avoid this road segment" internally every time it sees traffic.

I have to say, in the new maps, it seems like traffic avoidance is a lot smarter and more like Google/Waze.

• Like x 1
  20. mathwhiz

mathwhiz Supporting Member

Nav rerouting has been to me the single most frustrating part of Tesla's nav system. Probably everyone has experienced those really boneheaded reroutes, and the settings number doesn't seem to do much (if anything). If reroute actually works in the new update, with a reasonable confidence level, I say bring it on. :)