Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Updated Suspension for 3 and Y that is 'in production' 10/17 and after

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What REALLY concerns me is him saying both the Y and the 3 will be "better". That's a problem. The 3 and the Y have fundamentally different suspension setups and handle COMPLETELY differently. My guess is they've changed manufacturers for one of their components (likely shocks or springs) and they're going to market it as an "improvement" rather than a change.

We'll see!
Yup, this is also my concern. TBH I was very happy with my early Model 3 SR, I'm very happy with my current 21 NCA SR+. I have another 23 LFP RWD coming soon. While I agree that the car can be a bit harsh on some (most?) surfaces, I was expecting it from this type of car. I drive my Subaru if I want a soft cushy ride... Improvement in comfort would be great but I really hope we don't see a drop in initial reliability due to the changes.

Doesn't aftermarket coilovers like MPP make the ride more comfortable and better handling even with minimal height lowering?
Yes. The original model Y had a horrible suspension. Stiff and harsh but didn't handle well when it was pushed. The only good thing about it was it was responsive. There are several aftermarket options that improve the ride without compromising performance.

Reactions: tm1v2 and XPsionic
Same here! A 3616 lb., RWD, low CG sport sedan with more than adequate brakes. The reason I opted for the SR+.

My last car was an Infiniti Q50 hybrid AWD. 360 HP. 402 ft lb. torque. 0-60 in 5 seconds flat. Before that a Pontiac G8 GT with a 6.0L V-8. Get the picture? The Tesla is much lighter that either of those to boot.
I was having some FOMO with the newer models. Dual pane windows for one, but not the newer cheaper battery chemistry that's rolling out.

I'm trying to get that FSD Beta access...which means no Angeles Crest Highway for the time being. 😂

My 2020 M3LR suspension could be improved with more progressive and extended high-speed compression damping. Sometimes called small or square bump damping. High-speed refers to the response of the damper and not the speed of the car.
It doesn't actually bother me as much as it could. I think this is because the seat isolates me really well. I get a lot of road surface feedback from the floor and steering wheel. Unique ime.
I'd also like to know the part numbers and price of the new suspension components and whether they can be swapped in.
A review would also be helpful.
I once upgraded the damper for my 900RR bike with a RaceTech Gold Valve kit with larger flow valve and a broader shim stack. The high-speed compression damping improvement over stock was phenomenal.

Just a point of information:I just got my Rwd (2023 model). But it spent 4 days in the service center. My loaner was a 2018 and some of the most notable differences where just the general bumpiness from cruising around. I noticed it much more driving around on the surface streets of Long Beach in each car The 2023 was much smoother and quieter (Apple Watch was reporting back about 5-7 db difference). My dad was with me and said it could also be because the 2023 seats seem to sit higher (even at the lowest setting). 🤷🏻‍♂️

But as for responsiveness on the road they felt quite similar even with my “spirited” lane changes and such.

Has anyone figured out what parts changed for this comfort suspension?
Kind of annoying that Tesla would release a fairly substantial change like this and not say anything about it. You'd think after all the terrible Model Y reviews about how hard the suspension rides, they'd make this change and make a big fuzz about it.

Anyway, would be nice to know what parts are changed, Top hat, Springs, dampers, bump stops, suspension arm bushings? Would be really nice if the only change is dampers, then everyone with the older suspension could just swap dampers some time down the road and get a better ride.

Reactions: ss71 and Adam3
Kind of annoying that Tesla would release a fairly substantial change like this and not say anything about it. You'd think after all the terrible Model Y reviews about how hard the suspension rides, they'd make this change and make a big fuzz about it.

Anyway, would be nice to know what parts are changed, Top hat, Springs, dampers, bump stops, suspension arm bushings? Would be really nice if the only change is dampers, then everyone with the older suspension could just swap dampers some time down the road and get a better ride.
Tesla has been pretty quiet about any suspension chances as the Model 3 performance suspension changes have never really been acknowledged outside of removing the lowered suspension wording from the configuration page.

Reactions: tm1v2
Tesla has been pretty quiet about any suspension chances as the Model 3 performance suspension changes have never really been acknowledged outside of removing the lowered suspension wording from the configuration page.
Same thing with many of the Model S suspension changes over the years. A few of the big changes were advertised, like the move to active dampers with the Raven, but before that they significantly stiffened then softened again the air suspension without any advertised change that I ever came across. Early dual motor S had pretty nice suspension tuning, reminiscent of the P85+ suspension option (the best handling S I've ever driven), then in the 90-100kWh battery era the S became more boat-like than ever.

Coming back to the thread topic - despite some undisclosed changes in the suspension post mid-October,' 2023' Americas region Model 3/Ys are still NOT being manufactured with the new cast iron silver-colored FUCAs, but instead get the failed previous design... so its only a matter of time until they require replacement (under or out of warranty).
Tesla logic.

Heard from my SA today after asking him if my car (PF585, late October build, VIN assigned 10/31) had the upgraded suspension. He said "I don't think you have that" and that only cars from Austin were getting the new suspension early. So, that doesn't square with other writings on this board. So who knows. Anyway, we're really happy with our Y, whether we have the new suspension, or not.