Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Updated to Android app 4.8.0-1025, location is screwy now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm wondering if this is just me, just Android, or if IOS also has a problem. When I press on location, to bring up the map, it always defaults to zoomed way out, plus it no longer tracks the car when you press the center choice of the 3 vertical icons.

I tried deleting the cache and restarting the phone, to no avail. I unfortunately use this a lot to know when my wife will be home from work, so it makes it a lot harder to do.

Well, I just checked on my old Android phone before and after updating, and it has the same problem. Simply opening the map, zooming in, then going back to the main page and reopening the map will zoom it out, usually while you are watching. Very annoying.

Iphone app seems to be OK, of course.

My wife and I have the same issue with the updated Tesla app - way too zoomed out for the default Location view. It now covers most of the city we live in. We much prefer the previous default view showing our cars' locations down to the address level. We're both on iOS 15.4.1 and Tesla app 4.8.0.

Well, I just checked on my old Android phone before and after updating, and it has the same problem. Simply opening the map, zooming in, then going back to the main page and reopening the map will zoom it out, usually while you are watching. Very annoying.

Iphone app seems to be OK, of course.
Nope… my iPhone has the same issue :( super annoying!!! Tesla pls fix!!

• Informative
Reactions: Marty3SR+
Nope… my iPhone has the same issue :( super annoying!!! Tesla pls fix!!
Yeah, I was fooled. My wife's iphone had not been updated, and I forgot to check. I see now that it does have the problem.

I can see where some might like it to start zoomed out so you can see where the car is, and I could maybe accept it, but it's too quick to zoom back out after zooming in. It should at least remember the zoom level until quitting the app. And also, it no longer follows the car like it used to, so you need to manually scroll the map if you're spying on the location while it's moving, like if you're being picked up and want to meet the car somewhere.

By the way, I used the service chat to report the problem, so they should at least know about it now.
I ordered a pizza from Dominos last night, the Dominos driver tracker works better than the Tesla App.
Aren't the App updates Beta tested at all for full functionality before they are released?
I'd say they aren't tested very well. In my experience, companies with more than one software product, such as client/server software, often focus on their most important piece, and something like client software is considered "simple GUI stuff" that they consider easy and beneath their abilities. This attitude filters down to the lowly client staff, who are not allowed to spend too much time on the lesser important parts.

So I'm wondering if this is just me, just Android, or if IOS also has a problem. When I press on location, to bring up the map, it always defaults to zoomed way out, plus it no longer tracks the car when you press the center choice of the 3 vertical icons.

I tried deleting the cache and restarting the phone, to no avail. I unfortunately use this a lot to know when my wife will be home from work, so it makes it a lot harder to do.

Anyone have this issue on Android- the map display is always in Dark mode? I like the the default Google map look of the colors inter-grained to the view. In Dark mode (assuming that is what it is).... everything is grey/black. I'm not referring to the satellite display.

How do you get rid of Dark mode for the map location view? /Android

Anyone have this issue on Android- the map display is always in Dark mode? I like the the default Google map look of the colors inter-grained to the view. In Dark mode (assuming that is what it is).... everything is grey/black. I'm not referring to the satellite display.
I normally use dark mode for everything since I got oled display because it uses less battery, and I usually prefer it now, even for reading ebooks - easier on the eyes. So I switched to light mode as a test, and it seems like the Tesla app stays in dark mode for everything, including the map.

Same problem here . I expect it will be solved reasonably soon , possibly with a simple rollback, I don't see this as a huge issue, but it degrades confidence in the Tesla mobile app. With so much functionality dependent on a smooth running Tesla app, any glitches, however small, are a source o f concern.