Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Updated to V10, no smart summon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same here. Got mine installed yesterday and it’s missing from the release notes. Spoke to a tesla mobile ranger at a supercharger and he didn’t know either. He told me I was the first with v10 that he has seen. Smart summon is in release notes on Canadian tesla website though. I sent an email to them. Waiting for a reply.

I personally really like SS and have used it successfully numerous times. Under the right circumstance, of course.
Maybe in a hurricane or when the parking lot is on fire. Even under the best circumstances it's super slow. I'd never attempt to use it in a busy Costco lot or something similar. Even with both hands full it's faster just to walk out to your car. There are already reports of parking lot collisions (although I don't know the exact circumstances.) It never surprises how some people are either stupid or too trusting in technology.

Maybe in a hurricane or when the parking lot is on fire. Even under the best circumstances it's super slow. I'd never attempt to use it in a busy Costco lot or something similar. Even with both hands full it's faster just to walk out to your car. There are already reports of parking lot collisions (although I don't know the exact circumstances.) It never surprises how some people are either stupid or too trusting in technology.
Can’t argue that it isn’t slow and of course I can walk to my car quicker than it can drive to me, but doesn’t change the fact that it’s a cool feature and will only get better with time. They have to start somewhere and I think this is a good first step.

Here’s a basic test. My BlackVue was in parking mode for the first half, so it’s sped up. Sure could I have walked 30 feet to the car instead of having it drive to me? Sure, but may daughter thought it was super cool and so do I. Maybe I just like technology and it’s advancements more than some. Not saying I would use this in a crowded parking lot in its current state, but maybe someday.

Canadian cars have immobilizers installed which prevents the car from moving unless it is in contact with the key fob. Even regular summon requires both the fob and the phone to work ... so no cell reception and/or no fob = won't work.

It may be possible to override the immobilizer, as it seems some of the Canadian EAP users were able to test smart summon, but who knows if or when this might happen.

• Informative
Reactions: Bill Foster
I used it several times in a low use parking lot (five times I think.) Out of those I had the following results: 3 successful retrievals (no "incidents"), 2 times it went against the traffic flow aka the wrong way according to the pavement markings. One of those times I had to stop the car manually because it was about to hit a parked car broadside. In that case, it decided that it wanted to short cut back through the parking stalls to get to me. I wasn't about to see if I would have actually stopped on it's own. I'm not going to trust my $50K vehicle and a $40K Camero to some software I'm not sure about.

I just can't trust anything that has failed 40% of the time in a dead parking lot. If you want to use it in "real" parking lot, good luck.

In case anyone is wondering: I love my M3. I think EAP is awesome. I just don't love smart summon.

Last edited:
Canadian cars have immobilizers installed which prevents the car from moving unless it is in contact with the key fob. Even regular summon requires both the fob and the phone to work ... so no cell reception and/or no fob = won't work.

It may be possible to override the immobilizer, as it seems some of the Canadian EAP users were able to test smart summon, but who knows if or when this might happen.
I have an M3 with no key fob, only my phone is needed to summon. Perhaps it's different for the S?

[Added]: my location is Ontario

Last edited:
I used it several times in a low use parking lot (five times I think.) Out of those I had the following results: 3 successful retrievals (no "incidents"), 2 times it went against the traffic flow aka the wrong way according to the pavement markings. One of those times I had to stop the car manually because it was about to hit a parked car broadside. In that case, it decided that it wanted to short cut back through the parking stalls to get to me. I wasn't about to see if I would have actually stopped on it's own. I'm not going to trust my $50K vehicle and a $40K Camero to some software I'm not sure about.

I just can't trust anything that has failed 40% of the time in a dead parking lot. If you want to use it in "real" parking lot, good luck.

In case anyone is wondering: I love my M3. I think EAP is awesome. I just don't love smart summon.
Appreciate the comments. Since it will show you the route it’s going to take, don’t use it if it’s going to go against traffic. So shouldn’t that really be 80%? That’s a B by my math. Not too shabby.
Not being argumentative as if it was about to hit a car, not good. But pretty impressive first cut.

Edit: I guess make that 75%.

Appreciate the comments. Since it will show you the route it’s going to take, don’t use it if it’s going to go against traffic. So shouldn’t that really be 80%? That’s a B by my math. Not too shabby.
Not being argumentative as if it was about to hit a car, not good. But pretty impressive first cut.

Edit: I guess make that 75%.
I'd say having to abort the attempt because the route is stupid is as good as fail even if it's not as dangerous. In that case, the car could also have just backed out and turned right instead of going forward, turning right, and going against traffic. It simply isn't too bright.

I'd say having to abort the attempt because the route is stupid is as good as fail even if it's not as dangerous. In that case, the car could also have just backed out and turned right instead of going forward, turning right, and going against traffic. It simply isn't too bright.
Ok, I’ll take the D. Just pointing out it’s not a bad first pass. Agreed it has much more improvement. But sure is fun if you use it right and won’t impede others.