Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Updated to V10 today, got the middle finger within 5 minutes of first drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
5th day owning a computer on wheels.

I was driving through my neighborhood, no TACC, no AP, and coming up to a stop sign with a car in front of me. I was slowing to a stop at about 10mph, he was 40 feet or so in front of me and the M3 chimes. I have no idea why it's doing this and I look down and his car image on the console is red. I look back up, continue to slow to a stop and as he pulls away from the stop sign he puts his left arm out the window and flips me off.

The only reason I can think that he might have done that is that the M3 flashed it's high beams at him?

Frankly I have no idea what happened. No idea why the M3 reacted that way. I was nowhere close to rear ending him.

Or do people just flip off Teslas at random?

Was the "chime" super loud and annoying? It sounds like that was Automatic Emergency Braking (loud noise + red car) and he might've brake checked you and the car reacted. He might've been upset that you didn't hit him like he wanted?

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
Was the "chime" super loud and annoying? It sounds like that was Automatic Emergency Braking (loud noise + red car) and he might've brake checked you and the car reacted. He might've been upset that you didn't hit him like he wanted?

Yes, the chime actually kind of startled me. I don't recall whether or not the M3 braked. But I was going so slow that even if it did I likely wouldn't have noticed. And I was way far away from the guy.

This is another example that validates my wife's pet peeve with our Teslas...There are a large number of different chimes and noises, along with short-lived visual warnings that come on all the time - it would be very helpful, in her opinion, if the warnings were also provided verbally, so you would know what to react to without having to try and catch the visual warning before it vanishes, or try to quickly interpret the chime...and the more I have these warnings go off in my S or her 3, the more I'm starting to agree. Why do we have to guess what we are being warned about in a technically sophisticated vehicle like the Tesla ? Seems very dated...

Reactions: liuping and Phlier
Doesn’t the text “alert” for AEB show up in the warning section (same place as keep hands on the wheel while in AP shows). It’s panic time so your unlikely to look to read what it says, so maybe not the best place.

Even if no, if you heard AEB, you know exactly what it, I don’t think there will be any confusion the next time. Personally, I don’t want my car “talking” to me. If it has identifiable sounds (like turn signals), I’m good with that.

Doesn’t the text “alert” for AEB show up in the warning section (same place as keep hands on the wheel while in AP shows). It’s panic time so your unlikely to look to read what it says, so maybe not the best place.

I did not see a text alert when I glanced down, only a bright red ghost car in front of me.

Foot was on accelerator as gap between you and car in front was closing.

While my foot was on the accelerator, that was because to lift it off entirely means no coasting. And I was already under 15mph, and he was way, way out in front of me.

But I don't think AEB engaged as I never felt the car brake.

At any rate, do the headlights flash in that situation?

A chime without braking or lane motion and a red car is the collision warning. Check what your settings are for it (early, normal, late)

It just means the car was unhappy with how quickly you were approaching a car moving slower than you is all. I leave mine on late so it doesnt go off accidentally

Headlights dont flash and the person flipping you off might have thought you just got too close. Or unrelated and is a coincidental asshole

Reactions: liuping
As part of Tesla's tutorial videos, they really should have examples of every sound the car produces, then tell you exactly what that sound means.

I'm an airline pilot. The Boeing aircraft that I fly is an older one, and it is capable of producing a very wide array of warning sounds. It is our job to be able to distinguish what the meaning is of any warning sound immediately. And that's fine, as during training, they play each warning sound, then show exactly what conditions must be met for that sound to go off.

Some aircraft have gone from warning sounds to an actual voice that comes on and tells you what the problem is. That's a great feature to have, really, but I don't think a car is so complicated as to actually need that functionality.

But it would be really nice of Tesla to tell us exactly what each sound means so when we hear it, we aren't going, "what the hell does *that* sound mean?" especially if we're in an instance of really needing to know what that sound means *right now*.

Although for some of the car's features, a voice announcement would be nice. It's rather inconvenient to look at the screen after hearing a warning sound to try and read the small text that says, "Potential Collision Detected: Corrective Steering Applied" as you're busy looking out, to you know.... drive the car. At least having the option to have these things announced would be nice for those that would like it.

I've had my wife read a few of these warning texts to me from the screen since I was busy at the time.... driving the car.

Does this happen often?
Yes, unfortunately. Even way out here in the middle of nowhere, where you can leave your house unlocked at night and not worry about it.

I used to drive a Dodge SRT8 Super Bee Charger. I got used to the muscle car hate, and everyone in the world wanting to race me. And now with the Tesla, you have to get used to EV haters, especially the large diesel pickups. They will "coal roll" you every chance they get.

It's also not unusual to see them park their trucks across the supercharger parking spots to keep people from charging.

I've had several diesel pickups exhibit dangerous and aggressive driving around my Tesla numerous times to espouse their hate for EV's. I smile and wave (with all fingers). IMO, it's best to kill these guys with kindness, and give them no reason to escalate from dangerous driving to full on road rage.

I ended up taking an early exit off of the Interstate a few weeks ago to shake off one particularly aggressive EV hater that nearly caused an accident. He kept cutting over into my lane immediately in front of me, hitting the brakes, then putting up clouds of black smoke. The third time he did this, he cut *immediately* in front of me.. maybe a foot between my front bumper and his rear bumper, and hit his brakes hard. The Tesla did its emergency braking thing. He braked down to about five MPH (we're on the Interstate, in a 70 MPH zone) as hard as he could, while throwing out clouds of black smoke. There was a freeway exit right in front of me, thankfully, and I took it. Unfortunately, I was too shaken up to remember to hit the dash cam icon. I would've loved to have the video of that event. I have a buddy that's a cop... I don't know if the video would've been enough to go after this guy for reckless driving, but it would've been fun to show him anyway.

Moral of the story: be aware of the EV hate, and remember to hit the dashcam icon to save the footage should it happen to you. And if you don't have your dashcam set up, do it! :)

• Informative
Reactions: mreynolds767
surprised you got the finger in LA, where Teslas are everywhere and folks out here are a little more appreciative of green cars.

That being said, no the car did not turn on its high beams. It beeped at you bcos you have your foot on the throttle while your car was about to hit a stationary object. It was just giving you notice to backoff a little sooner. As a driver, you can see the car in front has a stop sign and you can anticipate that the car is about to accelerate away from the stop sign, but the computer cannot.

This same thing just happened to the wife last weekend, and it ws the first time for her, even tho she has had the car for a year. In her case, the signal turned green so while she slowed, she kept going figuring that the stationary car was about to accelerate and move. It did, and her chime immediately stopped.

5th day owning a computer on wheels.

I was driving through my neighborhood, no TACC, no AP, and coming up to a stop sign with a car in front of me. I was slowing to a stop at about 10mph, he was 40 feet or so in front of me and the M3 chimes. I have no idea why it's doing this and I look down and his car image on the console is red. I look back up, continue to slow to a stop and as he pulls away from the stop sign he puts his left arm out the window and flips me off.

The only reason I can think that he might have done that is that the M3 flashed it's high beams at him?

Frankly I have no idea what happened. No idea why the M3 reacted that way. I was nowhere close to rear ending him.

Or do people just flip off Teslas at random?
Night time? Then he might have been irritated by the lights, otherwise, there's no reason for the driver to flip you off other than he's an idiot.

As part of Tesla's tutorial videos, they really should have examples of every sound the car produces, then tell you exactly what that sound means.

I'm an airline pilot. The Boeing aircraft that I fly is an older one, and it is capable of producing a very wide array of warning sounds. It is our job to be able to distinguish what the meaning is of any warning sound immediately. And that's fine, as during training, they play each warning sound, then show exactly what conditions must be met for that sound to go off.

Some aircraft have gone from warning sounds to an actual voice that comes on and tells you what the problem is. That's a great feature to have, really, but I don't think a car is so complicated as to actually need that functionality.

But it would be really nice of Tesla to tell us exactly what each sound means so when we hear it, we aren't going, "what the hell does *that* sound mean?" especially if we're in an instance of really needing to know what that sound means *right now*.

Although for some of the car's features, a voice announcement would be nice. It's rather inconvenient to look at the screen after hearing a warning sound to try and read the small text that says, "Potential Collision Detected: Corrective Steering Applied" as you're busy looking out, to you know.... drive the car. At least having the option to have these things announced would be nice for those that would like it.

I've had my wife read a few of these warning texts to me from the screen since I was busy at the time.... driving the car.
I am a former Pilot and couldn't agree more. Kind of spoiled regarding the verbal announcements one receives flying jets as the technology that the model 3 delivers seems that it would be almost a no-brainer to have this with an option to turn on or off. As the system is announcing an issue and it knows what that issue is in order to set off the appropriate chime, it should not be difficult to turn that chime into a verbal announcement. We'll see perhaps in future updates?

Does Boeing use French commands like the Airbus do? Imagine hearing this from the Tacc/aeb system....

• Funny
Reactions: brianman