Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[updated with *] P85D 691HP should have an asterisk * next to it.. "Up to 691HP"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got a data logger and a P85D, but haven't had time to run a bunch of launches on the same stretch of road yet. I've checked some videos shot for other purposes and I don't believe the difference is going to be more than half a second, but I'd rather provide hard data than estimates. I'll make time to do it in the next few days.

- - - Updated - - -

FWIW, this is the slowest launch I have on my logger, which I believe was well below 50% SOC and with three passengers:

image1.PNG

I also let off the accellerator before I hit 1/4 mile, I was just trying to capture the 0-60 time. The logger uses the phone's accelerometer, so it always measures a wee bit slow compared to drag strips and "real" data loggers, which give you a roll-out that doesn't count towards your time, so they usually read about .1 or .2 slow compared to magazine numbers.

Last edited:
Huh? It took 8.73 seconds to go from 60 to 88.2 MPH????????????

As I said, I was decelerating once I hit 60. It wasn't a flat out quarter mile run and I was only interested in the 0-60 time to see how much slower it was. Its much easier to find a stretch of road where I don't mind all out 0-60 runs than it is to find suitable quarter mile places where I'm comfortable hitting 120mph. Until my local drag strip opens, I'm not really keen on performing all out 1/4 mile runs on public highways.

We really need data at 50% charge, then 40%, then 30% and so on. The performance hit is noticeable at 50%, but falls off a cliff quickly under that. 50% is just where it starts to feel like it switched from Insane to Sport mode (and where I feel the Insane mode should be greyed out in the software to remain transparent to the driver).

At this rate, when I pick up my new P85D in a few days, I'm going to have data sooner than it takes someone to post, from one source, 0-60 runs for various SOCs.

That would be awesome. I wish I could do it but my wife is the main driver of the P85D and I really don't have the time to do it in the next week. After that I'd like to test it and have some actual data behind what I notice.

We had this discussion before :-D

After driving various electric cars I can confirm that none of these vehicles is capable of delivering constant power. This should come not as a surprise for anyone knowing the basics about ohm’s law. Therefore W=V*A. So of course below a certain SoC, power output has to drop. Furthermore Tesla’s electric motos have very high peak power but again constant power is limited. So if you go to track BOTH battery and electric motor will limit their power outputs depending on SoC and/or heat. Adding more coolers has only very limited effect. You will not get that fluid where you want it to be because any kind of fluid is of course electroconductive.

Anyway, of all electric cars on the market today the P85D is by far the best performer overall. The fact alone that people are comparing it with power monsters like a Hellcat or RS7 says everything. I remember people making jokes about the BMW i8 as well for not being that sustainable on the track. This is a stupid argument comparing the efficiency numbers of this cars.
The idea of driving 250 km/h without using one litre of petrol is just entirely fascinating and futuristic. It’s a whole new world. Just don’t expect these new world to be perfect from the start.
I gave rep but I think it's worth calling out as well: one of the best posts I can recall on TMC.

That would be awesome. I wish I could do it but my wife is the main driver of the P85D and I really don't have the time to do it in the next week. After that I'd like to test it and have some actual data behind what I notice.

Wow kris, I wonder how many posts you have on the boards for a car you actually drive daily! You are blowing this club's boards up for your wife's car!?!?!? Ha! :smile::wink::biggrin:

Wow kris, I wonder how many posts you have on the boards for a car you actually drive daily! You are blowing this club's boards up for your wife's car!?!?!? Ha! :smile::wink::biggrin:

I work from home and don't shuttle the kids around all day long- when I need it, I drive it. Luckily I can chill and provide a P85D for the household while sitting here in my undies posting on this board ;) I do have other vehicles to choose to drive as well, but the P85D is the new one in the garage.. ;)

Is the P85D 691hp?

I know the P85D is a seriously quick accelerating car, but is it actually 691hp = 515KW
(the installed motors might be this powerful, but if the inverters/battery cant delivery enough ...)

Anybody seen 515KW on the display? Or what is the highest value seen?

ICE cars of course are famous for (mostly) under delivering, and of course often forgotten is they lose significant hp with use/age too.
However the Tesla doesn't need a rolling road for proof, the display (if accurate) is a continuous monitor.

Hey, I got these crazy videos from a friend ;-)

Do not see any difference in 0-100 km/h between 83% and 20%. Both at roughly 4,5 sec.
83%: P85D 0-100 83% - YouTube
20%: P85D 0-100 20% - YouTube

Now for temperature control:
Cold car: 100-200 in 12s P85D 100-200 cold - YouTube
Warmer car: 100-200 in 19s P85D 100-200 warm - YouTube
Hot car: 100-200 in... well... it only gets to 190 and that's after two minutes P85D 100-200 hot - YouTube

Some 0-200:
0-200 cold: 17s P85D 0-200 cold - YouTube
0-200 warm: 31s P85D 0-200 warm - YouTube

It takes only two 100-200 runs to get from cold to warm state. It takes a bit longer to get to hot state. It takes about 10 minutes of slow driving to get back to cold state.

Disclaimer: I like my Tesla. I really do. I drive it every day. Please don't insult me for writing about it's limitations. Thank you.

Hey, I got these crazy videos from a friend ;-)

Do not see any difference in 0-100 km/h between 83% and 20%. Both at roughly 4,5 sec.
83%: P85D 0-100 83% - YouTube
20%: P85D 0-100 20% - YouTube

Now for temperature control:
Cold car: 100-200 in 12s P85D 100-200 cold - YouTube
Warmer car: 100-200 in 19s P85D 100-200 warm - YouTube
Hot car: 100-200 in... well... it only gets to 190 and that's after two minutes P85D 100-200 hot - YouTube

Some 0-200:
0-200 cold: 17s P85D 0-200 cold - YouTube
0-200 warm: 31s P85D 0-200 warm - YouTube

It takes only two 100-200 runs to get from cold to warm state. It takes a bit longer to get to hot state. It takes about 10 minutes of slow driving to get back to cold state.

Disclaimer: I like my Tesla. I really do. I drive it every day. Please don't insult me for writing about it's limitations. Thank you.

The second video clearly shows your traction control kicking. Although it doesn't for the first video, vehicle traction control usually kicks in long before the threshold needed to show the light, so you were clearly limited by traction. Interesting, but I think the fact that you were probably limited by traction in both launches will mask how much power can be drawn at different SOCs.

On the other videos. Warm as in the battery is hot and that's what caused the limiter to kick in? What do you have to do to get it in a limited state?