Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[updated with *] P85D 691HP should have an asterisk * next to it.. "Up to 691HP"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I talked to the guy who owns the local dragstrip yesterday and they are going to be open for testing Saturday and I'll do a set of runs timed with the track's accutime setup. I won't be able to do a 100% charge run because its 20 miles from my house and they only have 110 equipment, but I'll do 90% and down as low as I can safely manage.

(hmm threads confusingly merged it seems)

Haven't seen more than 384kW (240+(3/5)*240).

so that's 514hp then.

A long way short of 691hp.

I take the OP's point about whether full power is available all the time.

But is 691hp available ANY of the time?
Maybe it is a 691hp(515KW) motor supplied by a 514hp(384KW) inverter?

The point with the car display is that this should correctly show the input power which is what is being claimed, any other measurement is confused by losses.

But is 691hp available ANY of the time?
It is available all the time, even with battery removed.
691HP is maximum (combined) motor power. It is not max battery power, it is not max inverter power.
It is the maximum power the motors are engineered to output for some short amount of time without burning.
They can do it if one provides enough input power. As things stand now, current 85kWh battery is not capable of providing that much power (without distroying itself, hence inverters don't allow it).

Is it really that hard to understand?

. As things stand now, current 85kWh battery is not capable of providing that much power (without distroying itself, hence inverters don't allow it).

Source? Reference? Citation? Tesla published Document? Measurement on somebody's car?

If we are going with the center dash display, I've seen 500+ kW while launching. The scale is non linear, doubling (halving?) at each mark, with the last calibrated mark at 480. I've seen it well past the 480 on a full launch. 691HP is 515kW. Could I swear it is 490 or 500 or 520? Not on this scale... at the same time, it is somewhere right in that area.

P85D kW.PNG

Last edited:
If we are going with the center dash display, I've seen 500+ kW while launching.
Can you film it and post to YT?
Videos that I've seen don't even reach the 480kW mark. Really, there is awful lot of (contradictory) crying and very little checkable data. Go and film it.

This is just as stupid as if BMW did start to write that the engine has 500 hp but the fuel system is not able to deliver the required fuel to more than 300 hp.
Fuel system includes type of gas. You fill not exactly the right one, there will be less power. Air filter gets cloged a bit, there is less power. Etc.

Can you film it and post to YT?
Videos that I've seen don't even reach the 480kW mark. Really, there is awful lot of (contradictory) crying and very little checkable data. Go and film it.

I've got three videos of launches where you can see the instrument panel clearly and in all of them the meter peaked at 480kW or just a bit under. I'll take one at the dragstrip Saturday.

Here is my current test plan for Saturday, let me know if anyone has any other things they'd like to test:

Arrive in the morning at 20-30%. Do timed runs in Insane and Sport mode. Maybe try one run in Insane with Range mode set on to see if that changes performance. Drive to Richmond supercharger and charge fully, return to dragstrip with 80-90% SOC and repeat same runs from low charge state. I'll take some videos of the dash to track kW consumption as well.

If we are going with the center dash display, I've seen 500+ kW while launching. The scale is non linear, doubling (halving?) at each mark, with the last calibrated mark at 480. I've seen it well past the 480 on a full launch. 691HP is 515kW. Could I swear it is 490 or 500 or 520? Not on this scale... at the same time, it is somewhere right in that area.

That's good to hear, I have not seen other users stating they have seen >480KW ever displayed (I really don't care if it is 480 or 515KW; but 384KW is a long way off the mark as the OP stated was the best he had seen).

Surely the correct answer is for Tesla to enhance the power display software with a red area at the top if power is limited for any reason (eg heat/SOC)?
iirc BMW M5 does this on its rev counter during warm up, so there is precedent for this (of course all ICE cars are power limited during warm up).

What seems really important (again as the OP says) is that the driver is informed how much power is available at any time.

Arrive in the morning at 20-30%. Do timed runs in Insane and Sport mode. Maybe try one run in Insane with Range mode set on to see if that changes performance. Drive to Richmond supercharger and charge fully, return to dragstrip with 80-90% SOC and repeat same runs from low charge state. I'll take some videos of the dash to track kW consumption as well.
In general this looks like a good plan.
I'd just ask you take notes on circumstances i.e. outside temperatures , how long did car stay turned off, run number etc.
Devil always hides in details :)

I know this is horrible quality, but I took this from a video I had which included a launch (0-60). Below is the screenshot zoomed in on the display at 59 mph (video link also below, this shot is at 5s), I don't see it exceed that last mark of 480 kW if you compare it to the close up of the display that @Danal provides above. This is not scientific in the least so we should redo this test at higher resolution to see if it holds true.

Screenshot of display at 59 mph:
kW while launch.jpg

Link to video (screenshot from 5s):
[video]https://youtu.be/J28h__8vZyg[/video]

Last edited:
In general this looks like a good plan.
I'd just ask you take notes on circumstances i.e. outside temperatures , how long did car stay turned off, run number etc.
Devil always hides in details :)

Agreed. The distance from my house to the drag strip is more or less the same as the distance from the drag strip to the supercharger, so the car should have been driven about the same distance before the runs. Unfortunately, Saturday is projected to be fairly cool, with temps in the 40s. This may mean that the 20-30% SOC is done with a fairly cool battery pack, whereas the supercharging for the full set will mean it will certainly be warm. I intend to drive 30 miles or so before the track run, so I'm hoping that will bring the batteries up to full operating temps, but there is always room for debate in these kind of things.

Hmmm... maybe I'm wrong. I really think I've seen this... but...

Tesla Model S P85D Insane vs Sport Mode Testing 0 60 MPH in 3 17 Seconds - YouTube

Also tends to support 480kW. And he had separate G gauge showing 3.2 seconds. (Appears upper right, several seconds after the run).

As soon as my car is back together I'll measure (video or some other accurate means). Will be a day or so. Car is currently in pieces for some accessory work I'm co-developing with Artsci.

Also tends to support 480kW. And he had separate G gauge showing 3.2 seconds. (Appears upper right, several seconds after the run).

That's three of us confirming 480kW. I have three different videos all maxxing out about the same spot.

Also, it turns out that the dragstrip has a 220 outlet at the tower they will let me use, so I might be able to get closer to full and also be able to cut the range a bit closer to zero.

That's three of us confirming 480kW. I have three different videos all maxxing out about the same spot.

Also, it turns out that the dragstrip has a 220 outlet at the tower they will let me use, so I might be able to get closer to full and also be able to cut the range a bit closer to zero.

The best I have seen has been slightly below 480kW as well.

Unfortunately, when I notice a big performance drop as the SOC goes down, I admit I haven't paid attention to the kW output.

LetsGoFast: I really look forward to your results at various SOC points! That would be great data, at a safe place, on a very consistent surface. Even a spreadsheet showing ET/Trap speed based on SOC levels at various 10% intervals would be perfect. I think you would see the drop start happening at 50%, with a rapid fall towards 20% and below- with the only variable being battery charge level. That's just speculation on my part. At least there would be data to compare to future firmware updates that Elon may claim improve this, though!

- - - Updated - - -

Whoo Hooo! Have fun on behalf of all of us, with your "Mere" 643HP.

It may be a "mere" 643HP as you say, but the real test is "how long" that horsepower is available and at what point does the car's battery/energy source level start lowering overall advertised motor power output.

Keep in mind the display is logarithmic, not linear. Also your car is about 1 second slower to 60 than everyone else, so there is something else wrong with your car or test (others say traction?).

Yes, it could be traction. Tires had some abuse lately and 7C was not ideal. I found my vbox today and couldn't get less than 4,1s 0-100 in near ISA contiditions. That's why I prefer 100-200 and 0-200 measurements. Traction becomes insignificant.