Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Updates and Upgrades at service centers? I'd like your ideas please.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Each time my 2013 S has gone to the shop, it has come back with something updated/upgraded. I gather that there are other things that they'll update if you ask...

I wonder what those have been for you? ...and therefore what I might request when it goes back in for scheduled service in March.

Mine included AC Compressor mounts and noise suppression cover
Steering shims and later higher-torque-spec bolts to correct a squeak
Brake rotors (but they still squeak/grunt when coming to a stop)
Floor mats. Crazy that they made anti-roll-up mats but they did.
Drive unit updates
Wire chafing rear wheel well clearance update...

Things like that... THANKS!!

Here is my list limited to TSB items:

• Pano roof front appliqué air leak TSB
  • Pano roof front latch rattle TSB
  • Brake rotor TSB
  • Rear camber bolt TSB
  • Coolant pump TSB
  • HVAC sound insulating blanket TSB
  • Battery shield
  • Wheel arch liner TSB
  • Non-curling floor mats
  • Defroster vent TSB

Last edited:
What is the line between an update/upgrade and an actual warranty repair?

You will see if you look at service invoice that all of these things are coded as warranty. And, anyone can get them... even if you don't have service plan, they will do these things!

Makes me feel foolish for having bought the service plan, but I'm sure it's not the last time I'll be foolish.

Here are couple more:

* Gen1 drive seat modification (they cut some springs to allow you to sink further, which increases lateral support and comfort generally). Irreversible, by the way!
* Front defroster vent update. The early cars just have a black metal screen up front, and all defrost air flows through that. Newer cars have 2 proper vents in the screen. They'll update if you ask.

The only thing I've asked to be changed is the defrost vents. First time the car was out in 20-something degree weather and a hard snow, the driver's window and the left 10 or 12 inches of the windscreen were completely fogged up. Vent replacement as a warranty item. They sliced the leather on the steering wheel during the replacement, so they replaced that as "goodwill" on a follow-up.